Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
What have you had the longest?

What item that you have now, is something that you've had the longest? Not necessarily something that is the oldest thing you have, but something that you've had in your possession the longest.

For me, it's the glass that I had my first legal drink at age 18. The waitress at the bar gave it to me, and all my friends that I was with that night signed the glass with a china marker (no magic markers in those days.) I began using that glass as my pen/pencil box on my desk the next day, and I've been using it as such for the past 46 years.

How about you?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
A cricket ball from Yorkshire v Kent at Bramhall Lane, Sheffield in 1970 . Geoff Boycott scored 140-odd and, (I think), the ball I have is one that he scored most of the runs off.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
A cookbook my grandma gave me on my 7th birthday. I still use it today.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The oldest thing I know I have is a stuffed doll. The body is stuffed, the head is soft plastic. One eye is all croocked, and there's almost no hair left on her head I've had that since I can remember.

The oldest thing I still use is a stuffed dog. It's still in my bed, got it when I was about 10.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have this cup in which I keep my pencils etc. I got it when I was in Bible-class as a child, in 1962. I got it on the occasion of 80 years Bible-society.
It was and is my companion through religious, agnostic, buddhist and again religious times.

Last edited by desertblues; 02-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
When I had my twenty-first birthday, and a friend asked me what I look like to have as a gift, of course I mentioned a book.

I still have that book today. I have carted it around on all our moves, and I refuse to even lend it out, as I have lost too many beloved books etc., that way.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
bobmielke
bobmielke began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wi-fi
My favorite plaid shirt given to me by my wife nearly 10 years ago. I still love it. I got rid of my wife.
bobmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
It might be the watch that I got for my First Communion and Confirmation. I think I was 7. I still use it from time to time. Originally it belonged to my Dad, so it goes back to the late 30's.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	66933

I have oldest things of course, but they became mine later than this simple watch without any value except the sentimental one that i choose to give to it.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
My gameboy I've had in my possession nearly all my life.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
A small mother-of-pearl penknife from the Philippines that my uncle gave me in 1962 when he was in the Navy.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
My body .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I've moved around a lot less than most of you here, so I have a lot of things that I've had for a long time. I do have one item with absolutely no value to anyone else at all, but I've never been able to throw it out. Back in 1980 my father was in the hospital dying of pancreatic cancer. We spent a lot of sleepless nights up at the hospital, and on one night in particular my sister and I sat in the ICU waiting room stacking up our discarded vending machine coffee cups as high as possible, and laughing in the giddy way that exhaustion brings every time they fell over. Those cups had a little gimmick -- they doubled as a hand of poker, with four cards "showing" on the side of the cup and one hidden card on the bottom. I got a cup with a Full House that night, and kept it. My father died not long after. I had just dropped the cup in a drawer and forgotten about it, but when I found it later I had the strangest attachment to it and couldn't throw it out. It's still just stuck in a drawer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pokercup.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	66934  
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The thing I have had the longest are my baby shoes. Mom had them bronzed and kept them and my sister's shoes on the mantle. But they have no sentimental value.

That honor goes to the most uncomfortable pair of shoes ever created. They are the pair I got married in. The reason they were so uncomfortable is because toward the end of the reception, I took one off to try to find out why they hurt so badly. It turned out that in my nervousness, I had forgotten to take out the paper and had just jammed my foot it. Girls, take some free advice: Check your shoes for packing materials before traipsing down the aisle.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The thing I have had the longest are my baby shoes. Mom had them bronzed and kept them and my sister's shoes on the mantle. But they have no sentimental value.

That honor goes to the most uncomfortable pair of shoes ever created. They are the pair I got married in. The reason they were so uncomfortable is because toward the end of the reception, I took one off to try to find out why they hurt so badly. It turned out that in my nervousness, I had forgotten to take out the paper and had just jammed my foot it. Girls, take some free advice: Check your shoes for packing materials before traipsing down the aisle.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hmm, mine is a hot-dog shaped pillow that I had since childhood. I can't sleep without it, and my whole family wants me to get rid of it, but I just can't
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote