Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #31
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
That worked!

Painful way to install anything though. Also can I just point out this:

Code:
$ du -hs .adewine/
2.0G	.adewine/
2Gb for a program to read ebooks?!? Not that I would ever use it for that to be honest. The only reason I have ADE is to download my purchases to feed them into Alf's hungry jaws.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #32
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@latepaul. First of all congratulations. But I agree. Must be one of the most painful ways to install ever. And the size is absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately, there is little alternative for those of us who run Linux and want to use this ridiculous system. I can't recall reading a single book using ADE. I'm not a fan ot the program.

I'll still have a look at installation on Ubuntu based systems when I get the chance. I would like to see this working easily for everyone. One thing your experience shows is that it seems technically not only feasible but easy to simply distribute a working .adewine prefix directory with ADE installed but not authorised. In theory this should work on any distro with a suitable version of wine. Unfortunately, I suspect this would violate all sorts of licence agreements. Though perhaps it would be okay to help someone having particular trouble by creating such a wineprefix directory for them at their request and as their "agent". Of course, it would need to actually be created anew on their behalf rather than simply distributing a pre-prepared one. Not a feasible mass solution, but possibly okay for someone having real trouble.

Another possible solution is to use a live cd of a distribution known to work to produce the working wineprefix. A lot of work to achieve a simple result.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #33
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A livecd or VM would probably be simplest.

I must admit one of the reasons I started down the container path was that if it had worked it should have ended up being not only reliable but simple to repeat (the process itself might be complex but the steps could be reduced to something easy).

Anyway, FWIW - here's a set of steps based on what I did:
Spoiler:
  1. Install docker (see https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/)
  2. Create a directory called 'adewine', copy dotnetfx35setup.exe and ADE_2.0_Installer.exe to it (see Wiki instructions)
  3. Create a file called Dockerfile with the following contents:
    Code:
    FROM debian:jessie

RUN  dpkg --add-architecture i386
    RUN  apt-get update
    RUN  apt-get install -y wget apt-transport-https
    COPY wine.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    RUN  cd /tmp && wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
    RUN  cd /tmp && apt-key add Release.key
    RUN  apt-get update
    RUN  apt-get install -y --install-recommends wine-staging
    RUN  cd /usr/local/bin && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks && chmod 755 winetricks

COPY ADE_2.0_Installer.exe /usr/local/bin
    COPY dotnetfx35setup.exe /usr/local/bin

CMD  ["ping", "127.0.0.1", "-c", "30"]
    The 'ping' command is just a placeholder really, we're going to specify bash on the command line.
  4. Create a file called wine.list with the contents:
    Code:
    deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ jessie main
  5. Build the image:
    Code:
    docker build --rm -t adewine .
    This will take some time.
  6. Run the container based on this image:
    Code:
     docker run -ti --name adewine_con --net=host -e DISPLAY=$DISPLAY -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix -v $HOME/.Xauthority:/root/.Xauthority adewine /bin/bash
    This should start a container with access to your X display and you will be running a bash shell within it.
  7. In the container shell
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/bin
  8. In the container shell, follow the steps in the Wiki. You're root within the container so I'm assuming a WINEPREFIX of /root/.adewine
  9. In the container shell
    Code:
    cd /root && tar czvf /tmp/adewine.tar.gz .adewine
  10. In another terminal session on your host machine, run
    Code:
    docker cp adewine_con:/tmp/adewine.tar.gz /tmp
    cd ~ && tar xvf /tmp/adewine.tar.gz
  11. exit the container shell which will stop the container.

Once you're happy that it works, then you can remove the image and container:
Code:
docker rm adewine_con
docker rmi adewine
docker rmi debian:jessie
Not strictly necessary but it all takes up discspace.

Last edited by latepaul; 02-22-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #34
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Wow... 2GB? I count myself lucky then. Mine is only 1.5, including the wine binaries themselves. (I'm on FreeBSD.)

Still, the disk space, time & trouble are all well worth it to me. I've read so many library books over the past few years using this setup... (I almost never read in ADE, but transferring library books to my H2O is awesome.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #35
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Wow... 2GB? I count myself lucky then. Mine is only 1.5, including the wine binaries themselves. (I'm on FreeBSD.)

Still, the disk space, time & trouble are all well worth it to me. I've read so many library books over the past few years using this setup... (I almost never read in ADE, but transferring library books to my H2O is awesome.)
Cpngratulations. On Sabayon mine takes up 2.1GB, not including Wine Binaries. To me also it is worthwhile, though I would obviously like it to consume less space. I endorse your comments on the H2O.

As a matter of curiosity, did you follow the howto to install on FreeBSD?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Mine's 2.1G (but I also added Python 2.7).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #37
latepaul
Wizard

To be fair my default WINEPREFIX is 1.5Gb. That has ADE 1.7.2 and K4PC in it.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #38
latepaul
Wizard

I've not tested it yet (currently my Kobos are not Adobe-authorised) - but are you saying that ADE 2.0.1 recognises ereaders when they are attached?

I stopped using the 3M library software partly due to lack of selection, but also because it was a pain to transfer files (and you couldn't download them indirectly as I recall). You could do it but the software was temperamental about whether it saw the USB devices. I kept having to go into winecfg.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:25 AM   #39
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I've not tested it yet (currently my Kobos are not Adobe-authorised) - but are you saying that ADE 2.0.1 recognises ereaders when they are attached?

I stopped using the 3M library software partly due to lack of selection, but also because it was a pain to transfer files (and you couldn't download them indirectly as I recall). You could do it but the software was temperamental about whether it saw the USB devices. I kept having to go into winecfg.
Sorry. I overlooked replying to this. The answer is yes, at least for your H2O. There is apparently a list of supported ereaders somewhere but I'd imagine any ereader supporting ADE should work at least in theory. There are instructions at WineHQ in the appsdb entry for ADE 2.0. Basically it involves using the Drives tab on Winecfg to make a persistent drive entry for the mountpoint of your Kobo ereader. You need of course to remember to make sure you set this in the proper wineprefix. It works perfectly. Your H2O (in my case) appears in the left pane and it is as simple as dragging and dropping the books to it. The first time you do this it will authorise your device.

This is good for reading ADE library books on your device. For purchases of course I would recommend Apprentice Alf if you can legally remove the DRM.

Last edited by darryl; 02-25-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #40
latepaul
Wizard

Thanks for the reply Darryl.

In the meantime I tested it myself. I also installed CloudLibrary (what was 3M). They both work with my Kobo devices so long as they are configured as a floppy. This was what I recalled doing with the old 3M software but also that on occasion it would decide the device wasn't connected and I'd have to remove and re-add the drive (and possibly restart 3M).

It seems more reliable now. That could just be a later version of wine. Also CloudLibrary no longer supports devices directly. If you go on their website they only talk about PCs, Macs and Android or Apple devices, not ereaders. But it uses Adobe DRM so if you use the same Adobe ID as with ADE then you can copy the files into that, or any device that uses the same ID.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #41
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Cpngratulations. On Sabayon mine takes up 2.1GB, not including Wine Binaries. To me also it is worthwhile, though I would obviously like it to consume less space. I endorse your comments on the H2O.

As a matter of curiosity, did you follow the howto to install on FreeBSD?
No, I didn't. I've had ADE 2.0.1 installed since... my HD is telling me September 2013? Maybe that's the date on the downloaded file. Anyways, it's been at least a year, probably more since I went from 1.7 to 2.0.1.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #42
patdavid
patdavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I know this is old, but ADE 2.0.1 is still the best option for those of us connecting to Overdrive.

Just did a clean install of Ubuntu 18.04 and installed wine from the repos (wine 3.0).

This can work as documented in the wiki, but with a minor change needed on my part

1. Clean 32-bit prefix (~/.adewine)
2. install windowscodecs & corefonts
Code:
winetricks -q windowscodecs && winetricks -q corefonts
2a. Need to now move/copy windowscodecs.dll and windowscodecsext.dll into "~/.adewine/drive_c/windows/system32"

They are located in the winetricks cache:
Code:
~/.cache/winetricks/wic_x86_enu.exe
You'll want to use cabextract to extract the contents there.

3. Don't use the small package installer for dotnet 3.5. Instead, use the full package installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=25150

When running the installer, disconnect from the internet (this stops the installer from trying to get lang packs I think, which was hanging previously and causing the install to fail).

Now proceed as usual and install ADE 2.0.1...
patdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #43
darryl
Wizard

@patdavid. Thanks for posting your experience. I am happy to see that someone has finally reported success in Ubuntu. As you probably read earlier in the thread a year or so ago there were problems with installing on Ubuntu and its derivatives. I was going to install in a VM and have a look at the problem but never did.

Congratulations.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #44
patdavid
patdavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@patdavid. Thanks for posting your experience. I am happy to see that someone has finally reported success in Ubuntu. As you probably read earlier in the thread a year or so ago there were problems with installing on Ubuntu and its derivatives. I was going to install in a VM and have a look at the problem but never did.

Congratulations.
I'm just doing it for others that might come along and need to get this working.

I should also mention, following what I did I find the prefix ~/.adewine is only about 697MB total. I'm going to re-test everything in a new prefix then probably write up a post on my site detailing what happened (I already added these notes to the appdb.winehq entry for ADE 2.0.1).

Thank y'all for all the great work that helped me so much!
patdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #45
ottdmk
Wizard

Hey Pat,

I'm one of the maintainers of ADE 2.0.1 on the AppDB. Thanks for this; your test results are queued right now and I'm looking into how to get them as the current results. (Right now, the current results are my results on FreeBSD 11 from a year ago.)

I'm very interested in trying your .NET solution on FreeBSD, as it's currently borked in wine on that platform.