Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
1katie23
Enthusiast
1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Nook Color running CM7, Galaxy Note II
I would prefer option 1, simple and straightforward without errors. This is why I really like CC because it is easy and works flawlessly for me.
1katie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I like the theory of using the custom column, but it is indeed more fault-prone. There can be both length and character set problems. The first is somewhat difficult to work around because the template never includes the path of the base folder that the books live in. The character set problem can be worked around, but means that the resulting path might not exactly match the template. There are also issues with accidental slash characters in the path, such as in the (made up) title "The Excitement/Joy of Being Bob". I am still thinking about this option. I like the idea of user-defined constant paths, but I am not happy with the weird errors that can pop up.

The next release of CC (and calibre) will have the first option.
Would that mean I'd have to re-download all books again?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Would that mean I'd have to re-download all books again?
Only if you want to use the new option for books already on your device. You must check a box to turn on using UUIDs as file names, and then the option has effect only for books sent after you check that box.

It is true that after checking the option, resending a book over the wireless device connection will create a duplicate. If "On Device" is checked then you should delete the existing copy when you send a new one. The easiest is to send the new copy, notice that it now says "2 books", then delete the older copy.

CC's content server connection already checks if a book with the same UUID is already on the device, and if so overwrites that book. The reverse is not true: CC+calibre do not check for duplicate UUIDs when using the wireless device connection. And yes, I agree that it is strange that one pathway checks while the other doesn't, but we didn't want to make CC's calibre device driver work differently from the other calibre devices. And in any event, such a check does not solve the problem where the same book can have a different file name on different devices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After thought, I changed calibre so that if you send a book to a device that is already on the device (UUID and extension match), the file name for the book already on the device is used and that file on the device is overwritten with the new content. The template and the UUID option are ignored. This change will go far to prevent duplicate book files when metadata changes.

If you don't like this change then you can shut it off by going to the smart device plugin and unchecking the option. I would be interested in hearing why you don't like the new behavior. I haven't been able to come up with a good reason to want more than one copy of a specific format of a book on the device, and there are lots of reasons to avoid it. The only reason I came up with is someone requiring that a file name on the device reflect the newest metadata, but this can be achieved by deleting the old file before sending the new one.

The UUID option remains necessary for people who have multiple devices and want the same file name on all regardless of how the book got to a particular device.

The replace-file behavior and the option will be in calibre 0.9.15. The next version of CC will support the UUID option. The UUID option will be ignored unless calibre is at release 0.9.15 or later.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 PM   #20
jayblac21
jayblac21 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook tablet
solution

I'm very late and you may have already come up with a solution but I found this thread while searching for the solution myself and came upon the solution back accident I have provided screen shots. Simply click on the device drop menu arrow once its connected wirelessly and options will appear. choose configure device. And then you will be able to save the template of your choosing. a weird message about mp3 might show up just ignore it and click ok. I tested it with 3 epub files and it worked perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-09 23.24.58.png
Views:	163
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	152256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-09 23.42.13.png
Views:	172
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	152258  

Last edited by jayblac21; 10-09-2016 at 11:40 PM.
jayblac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayblac21 View Post
I tested it with 3 epub files and it worked perfectly.
Just to be clear to folks looking here in the future. Configure Device is a one time per device setting that will apply to all books you send after its configured.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayblac21 View Post
I'm very late and you may have already come up with a solution but I found this thread while searching for the solution myself and came upon the solution back accident I have provided screen shots. Simply click on the device drop menu arrow once its connected wirelessly and options will appear. choose configure device. And then you will be able to save the template of your choosing. a weird message about mp3 might show up just ignore it and click ok. I tested it with 3 epub files and it worked perfectly.
The CC world has changed a lot since 2013. You might want to check out three CC FAQs: How do I get the same file names in CC no matter which connection I use?, I have added a lot of books and now adding books takes forever. What do I do?, and What can I use in a CC file name template?