Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #151
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
Is someone have a link to download the firmware 1.9.16 directly ?

PS: I downgrade to 1.9.14, but the bug of blur text when select word, wait 5sec, and open dictionary/note menu is always the same !
I try a factory reset...

Factory reset done... no update after... i'm now in 1.9.12... and the bug is always here.
:-/
Here is a thread on the forum that tracks available links for FW direct download: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ownload&page=2

And, once you have the FW downloaded, you do not need to go back to an earlier FW to install it, i.e extracting the files (with directory structure preserved) into the Kobo .kobo directory will trigger an install of that FW once unplugged regardless of the version that is running!

Are you always trying with the same books? Are you having the problem with a book you bought through Kobo? If the problem appears with a file that is free of rights, where can it be downloaded for testing?
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #152
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
I don't know if this is new, but in the web browser the keyboard does not stay open for some pages.

Select Home->Settings->Extras->Launch Browser
Go to www.mobileread.mobi
Select Search (or login, etc.)
Tap on the Search text box
=>The keyboard does not appear automatically
Select menu icon->Keyboard
Tap on any letter
=>The keyboard closes
Open the Keyboard again and tap another letter, the keyboard closes again...

If I go to www.google.com then tapping in the search box does bring up the keyboard automatically and it does stay open, so perhaps the browser isn't recognizing the type of text box on the MobileRead page.

I love the fact that the text on the page actually zooms correctly to make it readable. I wish, as I'll post in another thread, that you could tap to move forward ("down") instead of having to drag the page vertically. Its much more convenient just to tap, although keeping the ability to drag is necessary for wider pages.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #153
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Here is a thread on the forum that tracks available links for FW direct download: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ownload&page=2

And, once you have the FW downloaded, you do not need to go back to an earlier FW to install it, i.e extracting the files (with directory structure preserved) into the Kobo .kobo directory will trigger an install of that FW once unplugged regardless of the version that is running!

Are you always trying with the same books? Are you having the problem with a book you bought through Kobo? If the problem appears with a file that is free of rights, where can it be downloaded for testing?
Same trouble with kepub, commercial epub and free epub... event with one i created myself.
Some other people on Alexandriz have same problem.
The problem don't seem to be linked to ebooks, but to the kobo itself.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #154
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Same trouble with kepub, commercial epub and free epub... event with one i created myself.
Some other people on Alexandriz have same problem.
The problem don't seem to be linked to ebooks, but to the kobo itself.
And I've never seen this problem before, on any version of the FW since 1.9.9, so where does that leave us? It is not just in the firmware or I would be seeing it, wouldn't I?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #155
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I suppose... i don't see this problem before.
I buy my kobo at fnac, make the first update just after (1.9.14) and never see that.
And I often use annotation function.
But in fact, I just remember, that when i use this menu... I always enter in the annotation page (full screen), and never cancel it by clic back in the text... maybe I never seen it before cause of that.
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #156
frankieGom
Interested

Quote:
I buy my kobo at fnac, make the first update just after (1.9.14) and never see that.
But in fact, I just remember, that when i use this menu... I always enter in the annotation page (full screen), and never cancel it by clic back in the text... maybe I never seen it before cause of that.
Can you post a step by step of what you do, exactly, so we can check if we see the same problem you? If the problem can be reproduced easily then there is a much greater probability that it can be corrected.

thanks,
François
Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #157
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I have been able to reproduce this problem on my KT as well, but it appears to be random and when it does happen once you close the popup the text behind it is also badly faded but the rest of the text on the page is fine.
I agree, if you remove the select word popup without looking up a word in the dictionary, the shadow of where the popup was located has almost unreadable text.

I feel they need to do more resets of the text. Sometimes they do a reset after a word is selected, but mostly they don't.

Below is an example.

1. first picture shows normal text.
2. second picture shows selected highlighted word. (note how the text actually weakens slightly compared to pic 1.
3. third picture shows the popup selected after waiting 5 seconds - note the very weak text (wait less time than 5 sec to select and the text is fine).
4. fourth picture shows the very weak text under the popup if the popup is cleared without selecting dictionary.

Pictures 1-4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_text_good.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	80436   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_select_word.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	80437   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_popup.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	80438   Click image for larger version

Name:	4_shadow.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	80439  
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #158
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
Re: Internet moment #28737107213566888...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Just checked my 1.9.14 and the google-analytics.com crap is still there. And, from the looks of the URLs used, it is redirecting through g-a.com every time the device needs to connect to devices.kobo.com.

This not being a new thing just further guarantees that Kobo shall never get another penny (or any other amount) from me in the future.
I've looked into the way that the KT is handling stats. GA is the platform they're using to track usage metrics. They're not sending away info about side-loaded books, etc. What they're sending is actually very clear from the parameters. They're transmitting actions like 'Home-screen' or 'reading view' with timestamps (if the device is connected). However, it's not being tied to device id's or your Kobo account.

I didn't want to clutter up this thread, so I made a new one with what I found.
Relax, disabling the GA integration is a 1 minute task.

OT: I'm happy that 'define' was rearranged in the reading menu so it's faster to get to. Not used to the new home screen yet, but it seems handy. I'm a bit worried about extra 'Home' menu taps and clutter, but users always complain about redesigns...
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #159
azbdsf
Aka Redfish

Quote:
Edit: I remember, when i make annotations before, sometimes I took long time to select words... and the popup menu was always clear (no blur).
So the troube really come with the 1.9.16 and seem can't be erased with à reset or downgrade.

Have the same trouble with my 2 kobo (buyed at different time).
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #160
azbdsf
Aka Redfish

A little repport of the "blur texte" trouble for french:

Bon, petit récapitulatif tu problème de texte depuis la maj 1.9.16:

J'ai fait aussi quelques photos: (Image cliclable pour l'avoir en grand)

Image 1: La page normale.
Image 2: Sélection d'un mot sur la page... le texte de la page devient un peu dégradé.
Image 3: Ouverture du menu d'annotation/dictionnaire au bout de quelques secondes... le texte est très dégradé.
Image 4: Fermeture du menu en revenant sur la page de texte... la zone sous le menu est très dégradée.
Note: Si on ouvre le menu juste après la sélection du texte, sans pause de quelques secondes, le texte du menu est normal et il n'y a pas de problème quand on referme ce menu.

Le problème est apparu avec la maj 1.9.16 (aucun soucis les versions précédentes).
Faire un retour à un ancien firmware ne résout pas le soucis (testé avec le 1.9.14).
De même que faire qu'une réinitialisation du kobo (ce qui le ramène en 1.9.12).
Ré-appliquer la maj 1.9.16 est aussi sans effet sur ce problème.

Ce soucis est présent sur mes 2 kobos, achetés à des dates différentes.
Même soucis quelque soit le fichier ouvert (kebub, epub commercial, epub de la team, etc...).

:-\
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #161
Akto
Akto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enoughAkto will become famous soon enough

Doing a factory reset and installing 1.9.16 (3rd time) via the Kobo Desktop seems to have solved the issues of the double tap & short list.

It's just a pain to have to do a reset so often to solve issues, losing the library, stats and most importantly the notes taken (calibre function in this regard being experimental).

I hope that the next update, implementing the french dictionnary (for french readers), will apply more smoothly and maybe also solve some issues with the sd card.

EDIT :

Forget what I just wrote. It worked only with less than 20 books on the reader. After loading again some 400 books the problem with the double tap appears again ! Something is definitely wrong. So here I go back again to 1.9.14 for the 3rd time.

Last edited by Akto; 12-27-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Akto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #162
frankieGom
Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akto View Post
EDIT :

Forget what I just wrote. It worked only with less than 20 books on the reader. After loading again some 400 books the problem with the double tap appears again ! Something is definitely wrong. So here I go back again to 1.9.14 for the 3rd time.
Now, you're definitely on to something there. It's time to gather some statistics about what people have on their KT and whether they see the problem or not (might as well include the "blured text menu" for completeness). We may be able to help the dev team find out what's happening and correct it!

I'll start (dashes added for alignment):
Forum handle --- files on eReader --- Double Tap --- Blured text
FrankieGom --------- 168 -------------- No ---------- No -----

Last edited by frankieGom; 12-27-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #163
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Geez I like it!

I like having my short list on the Home Page. The short list is more important for me to access than the carousel view on the home page. Almost every book site I go to and the Nook touch have recommended lists on their home page and Kindle ads are truly annoying.

I think Kobo owners would be happy about frequent updates having owned Kindle, Nook and Sony devices in the past and some in the present it's nice to own a product from a company who continuously try to improve their (existing) product line.

So, thanks Kobo

Last edited by fbrII; 12-27-2011 at 01:20 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #164
CNL
CNL began at the beginning.

Device: KT2, libra H2O
I happen to like the shortlist at the bottom of the home screen, and the page turns do seem to be faster overall than they were in the previous version.

I do get the super blurry text when opening the menu after long pressing a word. The long press itself makes every word on the page blocky and choppy, and sometimes the menu button brings up a dim, hard to read menu. The page refreshes properly when returning to reading though.

Forum handle --- files on eReader --- Double Tap --- Blured text
CNL ----------------- 70 -------------- No ---------- Yes -----
CNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #165
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNL View Post
I do get the super blurry text when opening the menu after long pressing a word. The long press itself makes every word on the page blocky and choppy, and sometimes the menu button brings up a dim, hard to read menu. The page refreshes properly when returning to reading though.
The same for me (only ePubs on board) and today the 1st double tap issue:

Forum handle --- Files on eReader --- Double Tap --- Blurred text --- Book type
Koboyashi -------------- 56 ---------------- Yes ------------ Yes ---------- ePub

Last edited by Koboyashi; 12-28-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: 1st double tap needed
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote