Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
rdblots
rdblots began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge, full sized edge
Question about images on PE/EE

What I would like to do is while I am reading a pdf on the eink side, to be able to take a snapshot (of formulas, or a body of text, etc.), and attach that to a note that I have open in Evernote on the LCD side. The problem is a snapshot saves as an image, which goes to the library. The library does not show up in the folder search that I do in order to choose an attachment. I read in a previous post that the library folder is hidden, and this is why I cannot find the files that I am looking for (this same issue arises if I am looking for journal files to attach).

The one workaround I can find is to annotate that page of the pdf --> email as pdf (only that page) --> then attach the pdf to the note

This is potentially two or three steps more difficult than if I could just snapshot, then attach (extra steps necessary if I am reading in landscape mode). Also, an image might be more useful than a pdf attachment in Evernote in terms of what is or isn't searchable, but this is speculation and I have not actually tested that.

Am I missing something obvious, or is my workaround the quickest way to go to make this happen? Thanks.
rdblots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
just use a file explorer like astro and active the show hidden files option. Then you go to .edge to get your files. From astro you can also send to evernote
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
just use a file explorer like astro and active the show hidden files option. Then you go to .edge to get your files. From astro you can also send to evernote
I was going to tell him to export the photos to a folder he can access, but your idea saves him an extra step, thanks.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
rdblots

Thanks, that is a good call. I can now access the hidden files. However, for some reason, Evernote tells me that I have to be a premium user to attach these files (one test that I did was .bmp, another was .png). Those files work as attachments on my PC, so I don't know why they would give me trouble on the Edge. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblots View Post
Thanks, that is a good call. I can now access the hidden files. However, for some reason, Evernote tells me that I have to be a premium user to attach these files (one test that I did was .bmp, another was .png). Those files work as attachments on my PC, so I don't know why they would give me trouble on the Edge. Any thoughts on this?
I get the same error and upon inspection of the app information
★Premium feature: Add, sync, access and share files (PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more)
★ Premium feature: access and modify shared notebooks!
It appears you can only make text and voice notes with the android version, unless you shell out for premium.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
rdblots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokel22 View Post
I get the same error and upon inspection of the app information
★Premium feature: Add, sync, access and share files (PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more)
★ Premium feature: access and modify shared notebooks!
It appears you can only make text and voice notes with the android version, unless you shell out for premium.
Hmmm...interesting. Thanks for checking on that, mokel22. I am going to have to play around with Evernote a little more before I decide how valuable those aspects might be.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I downloaded everynote, but haven't started playing with it. Does all your data stay on their servers? I heard that was an issue with alot of people.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
rdblots

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I downloaded everynote, but haven't started playing with it. Does all your data stay on their servers? I heard that was an issue with alot of people.
The data does stay on their servers because I think one of the cool ideas of it is that I can be working on my laptop or on my edge (or both if I'm really multitasking), and the notes can sync up automatically. Free users have a data limit per month of 60 MB, which, because I was playing around and uploading high resolution images unknowingly, I ended up using half of my allowance for the month in the last 12 hours or so.

As far as how secure the data is, I am not certain. Obviously, dropbox has had issues on that front, but I do not plan on having sensitive data in my dropbox or on evernote. Just work stuff, and if anybody has the desire to sift through my notes written about boring academic papers, then I think they have more to worry about than I do.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
The data does stay on their servers because I think one of the cool ideas of it is that I can be working on my laptop or on my edge (or both if I'm really multitasking), and the notes can sync up automatically. Free users have a data limit per month of 60 MB, which, because I was playing around and uploading high resolution images unknowingly, I ended up using half of my allowance for the month in the last 12 hours or so.

As far as how secure the data is, I am not certain. Obviously, dropbox has had issues on that front, but I do not plan on having sensitive data in my dropbox or on evernote. Just work stuff, and if anybody has the desire to sift through my notes written about boring academic papers, then I think they have more to worry about than I do.
I've taken up using Evernote since you posted this question earlier and I was wondering about data limits. Thanks for the info. In addition, I agree that you really shouldn't keep any sensitive data on any of these cloud services. I too will end up using it for "boring papers" as well as Images I snap from the textbooks I'm reading on the edge. The data attachment limitations on the free version are a drag, but I'm in the same boat as you, I want to mess around with it some more before I make any money commitments.

[edit] Actually, $45 a year or $5.00 a month is a little too steep for me, I guess I'll just attach the files from my laptop.

Last edited by mokel22; 08-12-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:

I'm debating whether or not to use evernote.
Why not just use google calendar and google doc to do the same? I'm using those services to sync up with my PE's calendar and and it's working great and I can go to any computer with a web browser to access the calendar and notes. What does evernote buy me in terms of functionality I don't have now?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
rdblots

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I'm debating whether or not to use evernote.
Why not just use google calendar and google doc to do the same? I'm using those services to sync up with my PE's calendar and and it's working great and I can go to any computer with a web browser to access the calendar and notes. What does evernote buy me in terms of functionality I don't have now?

Thanks,
Gary
I have not played with google docs too much, so I am not sure of the useful attributes of it. What I interpret as unique elements of evernote are:

1) On the edge, I can send as "email" directly to evernote a pdf of a handwritten journal
2) I can annotate a page, and send as "email" directly to evernote a pdf of that annotated page
3) Evernote has the searchable handwriting technology...so that handwritten journal note can become searchable, but a) it has to be converted to an image file that is not pdf (I believe) and b) I am not sure how accurate it is
4) I can attach audio files to the note. If I want to record a meeting or just a quick idea that I have, I can attach that to a note
5) I like the tag structure
6) Shortcuts from windows so that if I copy something from any program, I can hit cntrl-alt-v and it gets automatically pasted into evernote

How I am starting to imagine using Evernote (to emphasize, I just started playing with it yesterday):
1) Read e-ink pdf articles on the edge, highlight/make small notes on the articles, send the relevant pages to evernote
2) I will also keep a journal open at the same time, taking longer handwritten notes, or writing formulas, and I can attach these journal files to evernote. Perhaps, converting it to image so that the handwriting becomes searchable, although I don't know how much use I would actually get from that. I feel like I would just benefit more from keeping good tags on my notes, but I can foresee the once-in-a-while instance where searching my handwritten notes might be helpful
3) I like the idea of piecing together a few important pages from many pdfs that are related to an idea that I am interested in. This helps compare/contrast these articles, and helps keep organized the articles that I have read and what I need to cite.
4) Make audio notes periodically if I'm on the go
5) if I'm working on a whiteboard, I can snap a photo (with my PE, not the EE, sadly) and this image apparently will also be searchable

Some of this the eink side by itself can do -> attaching journal notes, audio notes, highlighting important elements, tabbing pages.

However, evernote gives me the ability to bring all of that to my PC, if I want. Also, I can bring together many pdfs into a single idea, whereas the edge kind of forces me to have my ideas limited to an individual pdf.

I think this is a cool discussion about the possibilities and what others are already doing, so if anybody has thoughts, I would love to hear them.

To add one last thing, here's one of those "ridiculous, over-the-top things that evernote can do" lists:
http://www.evernote.info/index.php/t...-evernote-uses
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Thank you for such a well written reply.

I am mainly using my PE for personal productivity and helping me organize my life. I have alot going on in my life and I can get totally sidetrack with tasks which causes me to lose track of other tasks.

Your points about evernote pretty much gives me a good idea of what I can do with it. I will start playing with evernote today and see what it brings to me in terms of productivity and organizational structure.

I am really trying hard to keep with the free services. Since my work uses google calendar, I started using google calendar from my personal account and the PE's calendar has no issues with sync'ing to both accounts. My work calendar has about a dozen sub-calendars. I'll be creating a few on my personal accounts (I'm bad with bdays so one of them will be a bday calendar). For some reason I cannot create another local calendar on the PE although the calendar system supports multiple calenders per account that you sync with (did I confuse you here?).

A few days ago I spent some time figuring how the e-ink side works and I love the fact that I can jot notes on the e-ink side for each calendar day. I can put multiple notes in and jot down what I did each weekend..

If you take a snapshot of your whiteboard, how are you searching for it? Are you telling me the text on the white board is converted to text that is searchable?

I think this is a very interesting thread and if the PE can help me in organizing my life, it' will be well worth the 125 I paid for it.

If anyone else can chime in on how the PE or any of the personal productivity app helps them, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I mentioned in, I believe, another thread that I'll be using the PE to monitor all the IP cameras I have around the house so the PE is like a picture frame that allows me to see what's going on when I'm on vacation or at work.

Gary

Quote:
I have not played with google docs too much, so I am not sure of the useful attributes of it. What I interpret as unique elements of evernote are:

1) On the edge, I can send as "email" directly to evernote a pdf of a handwritten journal
2) I can annotate a page, and send as "email" directly to evernote a pdf of that annotated page
3) Evernote has the searchable handwriting technology...so that handwritten journal note can become searchable, but a) it has to be converted to an image file that is not pdf (I believe) and b) I am not sure how accurate it is
4) I can attach audio files to the note. If I want to record a meeting or just a quick idea that I have, I can attach that to a note
5) I like the tag structure
6) Shortcuts from windows so that if I copy something from any program, I can hit cntrl-alt-v and it gets automatically pasted into evernote

How I am starting to imagine using Evernote (to emphasize, I just started playing with it yesterday):
1) Read e-ink pdf articles on the edge, highlight/make small notes on the articles, send the relevant pages to evernote
2) I will also keep a journal open at the same time, taking longer handwritten notes, or writing formulas, and I can attach these journal files to evernote. Perhaps, converting it to image so that the handwriting becomes searchable, although I don't know how much use I would actually get from that. I feel like I would just benefit more from keeping good tags on my notes, but I can foresee the once-in-a-while instance where searching my handwritten notes might be helpful
3) I like the idea of piecing together a few important pages from many pdfs that are related to an idea that I am interested in. This helps compare/contrast these articles, and helps keep organized the articles that I have read and what I need to cite.
4) Make audio notes periodically if I'm on the go
5) if I'm working on a whiteboard, I can snap a photo (with my PE, not the EE, sadly) and this image apparently will also be searchable

Some of this the eink side by itself can do -> attaching journal notes, audio notes, highlighting important elements, tabbing pages.

However, evernote gives me the ability to bring all of that to my PC, if I want. Also, I can bring together many pdfs into a single idea, whereas the edge kind of forces me to have my ideas limited to an individual pdf.

I think this is a cool discussion about the possibilities and what others are already doing, so if anybody has thoughts, I would love to hear them.

To add one last thing, here's one of those "ridiculous, over-the-top things that evernote can do" lists:
http://www.evernote.info/index.php/t...-evernote-uses

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 08-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Tags
evernote, image, library, pdf