Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They don't matter to most users when comparing the current two (popular) formats, on the books that are selling now. Or, as was my point, Amazon don't seem to be losing marketshare by not supporting these features. I agree that neither format is well suited to modelling complex texts.
I think it might matter if people actually knew what they were missing with Mobi. Amazon has a good system going and they need it to keep people from truly takign a look at the underlying flaws of Mobi. I know ePub is not perfect. But it can be a lot nicer then Mobi when done right.

I have an ePub that has a graphic at the top of every chapter and it looks good when the graphic is over to the right and the left flows to the left of the graphic. But when you see this same thing in Mobi, it just looks stale since the text cannot flow. Even a blockquote in Mobi is ugly as you only get a margin on the left side and the right goes out to the main margin. Not pretty at all.

Sometimes it's the little things that matter and when you notice what's wrong, it can take you out of the story to look at the formatting. That's what Mobi can do, take the reader out of the story because some of the formatting isn't there properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #107
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
In seventeenth century metaphysical poetry, for example, stanzas are sometimes written in the shape of what they describe. That can't be done reliably in mobi or epub.
Uhm, that would be like a (mouse) tail shape in Adobe epub version of "Alice in Wonderland" (chapter III)?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #108
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Our MobileRead Guidelines make specific reference to quoting:

Quote:
4. Quotation

Please do not misrepresent someone else's views when involved in a discussion. When quoting, feel free to quote a section, rather than the whole post.
Note within this succinct guideline the clear statement about misrepresentation. We require you to abide by it.

Marc
Moderation Team
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given the policy of not modifying quotes, I request that RockdaMan go back and put right all of the quotes he has changed in this thread.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #110
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given the policy of not modifying quotes, I request that RockdaMan go back and put right all of the quotes he has changed in this thread.
I haven't changed any quotes. I made a few jokes, but given that that apparatus is apparently poorly understood by some I will no longer employ it.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 08-08-2011 at 07:17 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #111
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think it might matter if people actually knew what they were missing with Mobi.

Only us geeks care. People are more interested in the content of the file than its format.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I haven't changed any quotes. I made a few jokes, but given that that apparatus is apparently poorly understood by some I will no longer employ it.
Shall I post links to all the messages in this thread where you edited the quotes?

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-08-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #113
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Shall I post links to all the messages in this thread where you edited the quotes?
You mean where I "joked".

And no need, lets move forward, not backwards.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
lets move forward, not backwards.
Deal. But in order to move forward, you'll need to drop AZW/Mobipocket and take up ePub.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #115
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Deal.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 08-08-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #116
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Deal. But in order to move forward, you'll need to drop AZW/Mobipocket and take up ePub.
Actually, I wish you'd drop it, Wolf. I'm happy with my Kindle, and suspect a lot of others are too. Getting tired of your rants.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #117
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I can't believe I agree with Rockdaman... What's the world coming to...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #118
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I can't believe I agree with Rockdaman...
Why is that?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #119
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Adobe is probably not making tons of money on DRM licensing fees. None of their recent financial statements so much as mention the related products and services (RMSDK, ACS). Given the explosive growth in the ebook sector, you'd think they would want or need to let their investors know about it if it were significant.

They only get a transaction fee when a portable, Adobe DRM file (epub/PDF) is created. In today's wireless ecosystems (B&N, Google, Kobo) that doesn't usually happen: content is downloaded directly to the vendor associated device or application. The content is locked to that instance with proprietary DRM, and is not portable. Only when you want to take your content out of the ecosystem is Adobe DRM applied.

Given the insistance of publishers on DRM, without Adobe DRM, everyone would be just as locked in as Kindle and iBooks customers. It is a 'lingua franca' of DRM, and allows you to continue reading your books if the vendor who sold them to you goes out of business. We may not like DRM as users, but without Adobe, we'd have bigger problems and concerns.

That said, Amazon would do well to begin supporting ePub at some point (including Adobe DRM). It's a better format in most ways, and would remove a number of objections to investing in the Kindle platform (such as: what happens if they go out of business or decide it is not profitable enough? or how do I read my collection of Adobe DRM ebooks with a Kindle?).

And ebook production people everywhere would rejoice (isn't that all that matters, in the end?).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #120
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Adobe is probably not making tons of money on DRM licensing fees.

It depends on how you define "tons." This is taken from the ALA's EQUAAC BLOG:
"So we bought the software. It cost $10,000 (one time fee), and a $1,500 annual maintenance fee. In addition, Adobe charges an eight cent fee per transaction — where “transaction” equals a checkout. Public library records are considered “temporary.” “Permanent” records have a higher fee of twenty-three cents. Interestingly, that transaction fee works out to about a third of the Overdrive storage fee."

http://www.equacc.ala.org/2011/04/25...ontent-server/

The fees are for one particular library's use of Adobe Content Server. Anyone using Adobe Content Server must pay these fees. Yes, Adobe makes lots of money on ADE. They have a virtual monopoly on library content. Any time someone uses the "free" Adobe Digital Editions to download a book, someone has to pay Adobe their vig. The only company that has attempted to break the library monopoly is Amazon...when Kindle library lending begins, Adobe won't be getting the automatic kickback on Kindle lended books. Whether or not you like/dislike Amazon, monopoly busting is a good thing.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, library, tablet