Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Amazon is replacing Kindle Covers

The link is:

http://www.amazon.com/cover-causes-K...&cdSort=newest

If you search that page for some of the possible strings in the following posting, you should find the actual reply

"Last edited by the author 1 hour ago
The Amazon Kindle team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
There have been some forum discussions regarding the non-lighted Kindle cover, and our engineering team is looking into this. Regardless, if anyone is having any problem with an Amazon-manufactured Kindle cover, please call us at 877-453-4512 or 206-922-0844 . We will be pleased to replace it for free with a different cover or accept a return for a full refund, no matter when the cover was purchased. "
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Thanks for posting. Sent the link to my daughter who owns the original cover.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I'm going to wait a bit, continuing to use the case in an unhooked state for a while.

For my most difficult reading situation, when standing in a moving bus or subway car, the hooked design was good during the first couple months of K3 ownership, before my reboots started. Is there another case people would recommend with an eye to this kind of joggling environment?

From what I have read googling the case problem, it sounds highly likely to be a static electricity discharge issue. I think it should be pretty easy to fix if they have the right kind of engineer on staff. But it will take time to really test the fix well.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have an Oberoncase (ordered from overseas in the US)which I used in the subway in Paris, reading singlehandled, cover folded back with my thumb in the elastic with which it closes; hanging with the other hand on the rail. Sturdy as they are, they're not cheap, but age beautifully.

edit: the green one is for my iPad and the red one for the Kindle 3

Last edited by desertblues; 02-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
OH, hubby bought a kindle cover and then the manufacturer asked for it to be returned.
What is the problem with the cover, does anyone know?

Grace x
(author of 'A Dead Man's Debt' - a historical romance.

Reviews for 'A Dead Man's Debt.'
'I was so hooked my battery died and I had to connect my phone to the charger to finish it in one sitting'
'Grace Elliot has an amazing gift for writing. Her descriptions, her story progression, just the way she paints the pictures is absolutely beautiful. It is a delightful experience reading.'

To find out more visit: http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
For my most difficult reading situation, when standing in a moving bus or subway car, the hooked design was good during the first couple months of K3 ownership, before my reboots started. Is there another case people would recommend with an eye to this kind of joggling environment?
My choice for a cover when I get my K3, is a holster-type.
roocase, marware, econique, trendydigital, bearmotion, acase
offer this style on amazon.

I was originally very excited about the lighted cover but then heard
about reboot issues. Also heard if you pick it up backwards could
possibly break case or Kindle.

I have a holster case for my ipod touch and love it.

ps. I currently have a Sony 505 in original cover. It often gets placed
or picked up backwards, upside-down.. so I need a cover that can
handle that.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Grace Elliot: Supposedly, this is an issue with the UNlighted cover. While they initially work, some folks find that over time, the k3 reboots quite frequently. They are still not sure of the reason. As mentioned, possibly static.

The other poster - as mentioned, it seems to be a problem with the UNlighted case. Although some have said also the lighted case. I've been using the LIGHTED case since Oct1 without problems (fingers remain crossed)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Note: I got an email from them today. It seems they're replacing the case with a lighted one (at no additional charge), which they claim will not cause the rebooting.

This is pretty nice compensation on Amazon's part, and people having trouble with their unlit case may want to consider taking them up on it.

And hope it works.

Quote:
My choice for a cover when I get my K3, is a holster-type.
roocase, marware, econique, trendydigital, bearmotion, acase
offer this style on amazon.
I really like that too. I hope more companies release that style.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 12-18-2010 at 12:01 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
<snip>
I was originally very excited about the lighted cover but then heard
about reboot issues. Also heard if you pick it up backwards could
possibly break case or Kindle.
<snip>
ps. I currently have a Sony 505 in original cover. It often gets placed
or picked up backwards, upside-down.. so I need a cover that can
handle that.
As FF2 stated, the reboot problem is associated with the cover without the light; there have been no reboot problems reported due to the use of the cover with the light. Also, from what I have read, the cover for the Kindle 3 was redesigned to avoid the cracking problems that the Kindle 2 cover caused when it was opened backwards. You can also buy a small clip called the "Smak-Dab" in order to secure your Kindle to the back cover so that it can't be opened up backwards -

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Thank you OakIris for clarifying that.

Ive been reading so much Kindle stuff, I'm getting myself
confused!

I really, really do like the lighted cover...
don't care for the snap on thingys, though.
then again makes it easy to tell front/back..lol.

if they came in red...
I want red cover
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Some people have suggested that the un-lit covers use the basic foundation of the lit covers, i.e. the internal wiring remains in the cover, just sans light, and that this caused the issue by means of a short or something.

If the problem is not that, but with the hinges themselves not playing nice with covers not utilizing the lighting function, then companies that are getting to release their new lineup of covers that use that system (like Octovo, which used the hinge last generation and stated their new covers are soon to be released), will have to re-manufacture, unless their hinged cases are absent the characteristic that caused the issue. That could really screw them over.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Also, from what I have read, the cover for the Kindle 3 was redesigned to avoid the cracking problems that the Kindle 2 cover caused when it was opened backwards. You can also buy a small clip called the "Smak-Dab" in order to secure your Kindle to the back cover so that it can't be opened up backwards
I have a Kindle 2 in Amazon case, and I just used a small strip of double-sided sticky tape to secure the Kindle to the back cover. No problems so far - it keeps it securely attached to the back cover, so I can't open it the 'wrong' way.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
FF2
Wizard

I believe the covers come in red and other colors.

Actually, the case is designed so it is clear which is front and back. The front has pebble grained leather for most of the front, starting from the left (spine) but then there is a groove that fits the elastic closing strap and then about an inch of smooth leather. The rear is all pebbled leather. But, nonetheless, some folks have said strangers (those looking at your kindle the first time) might pull from the rear while holding onto the kindle proper. Those strangers will also run their fingers across the "touch" screen to no avail since it is NOT a touch screen but folks do it each time I show my kindle to a new person.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
ValSanders
ValSanders began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is a problem strictly with older cases, I assume? (They aren't selling the ones that cause the problem still, right?)
ValSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
I got a similar cover, but I also see 2 that look the same, with slightly different descriptions. One says "fits latest generation kindles", the other days "fits 2nd generation Kindles"...
Wwhat I am wondering as a long time computer tech is HOW a simple basic leather cover could cause anything remotely like what these people are attributing to it? It holds it in place... to me it sounds like there is some other sort of interference causing the problem, and since this is the most popular cover sold and used for Kindles, this is the first and easiest scapegoat for the uneducated. If it is sitting in the backpack and getting jostled around, and various things pushing on the cover which is pushing random buttons, then it is most likely the movement, NOT the case causing these problems.

Personally I see it as people wanting to find an excuse to complain about something, and others jump on the bandwagon.

edit: forgot to mention that I believe a lot of these people may be the types that think they can be a lot more rough with their Kindles thinking the cover will protect it, thus better chance of damaging it, when that is not what these covers are designed for.

Last edited by screwballl; 12-18-2010 at 03:37 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote