Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Sorry I'm confused. Where does it say that this is a Google product?
As far as I can tell, nowhere. The site doesn't mention any developer at all.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrickh View Post
And now that you mention it, who exactly does make gooreader?

Just searching around, I'm unable to find who the developer actually is.
If you go to books.google.com, there's no mention of it. If this were developed by Google, you'd most likely see this all over their pages.

For those that have installed this: In the license, does it say who develops this product?

R.
==
The software doesn't have an "About" screen that I can find. It just has a link to the gooreader.com site. So I looked in the GoDaddy WHOIS database. Here's what's there:

Quote:
Domain name: GOOREADER.COM
Name Server: ns1.logol.ru
Name Server: ns2.logol.ru
Creation Date: 2010.07.26
Expiration Date: 2011.07.26

Registrant ID: 45MUATA-RU
Registrant Name: Lysenkov Aleksandr Aleksandrovich
Registrant Organization: Lysenkov Aleksandr Aleksandrovich
Registrant Street1: 54055, Ukraina, Nikolaev, ul.
Registrant City: Nikolaev
Registrant State: Nikolaevskaya
Registrant Postal Code: 54055
Registrant Country: UA

Administrative, Technical Contact
Contact ID: 45MUATA-RU
Contact Name: Lysenkov Aleksandr Aleksandrovich
Contact Organization: Lysenkov Aleksandr Aleksandrovich
Contact Street1: 54055, Ukraina, Nikolaev, ul.
Contact City: Nikolaev
Contact State: Nikolaevskaya
Contact Postal Code: 54055
Contact Country: UA
Contact Phone: +3 0505525445
Contact E-mail: 413X.fox@gmail.com

Registrar: Regional Network Information Center, JSC dba RU-CENTER

Last updated on 2010.08.14 23:27:50 MSK/MSD

Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
So to answer your question, it appears that Lysenkov Aleksandr Aleksandrovich owns the site, and thus probably designed the software.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Generally I think of a portable devices like smart phones, iPad, Android platforms when term "app" is used. This appears to be a Windows computer only program. And agreed, how many readers do we really need?
ermmm...I guess I've heard the term app long time ago when I learn JAVA, and I think I've used the term app as a short word for a software application for years before smartphone ipad, iphone or android came to the market....and this is certainly not look like a google product.
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
wilsonch
Enthusiast
wilsonch is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Androids; Kindle Touch; an Android Nook
Well, I like the app and registered it. $20. The main feature I'm aware that the $20 bought me was the ability to generate the book as a local PDF file.

I like the app because it helped make sense of the cloud of Google books available of Edmund Spenser's works. I had spent a frustrating time searching from the Barnes and Noble site (to download to my Nook) and from the Borders site (to download as epub to my Sony reader Windows application) and some poking around directly on Google Books. I downloaded several things with titles like "the complete works of edmund spenser" only to find that they were essays about his works, or volume 3 of a five volume set (the other volumes not being available), etc. Using GooReader I was able to work through things and find a good single-volume edition of his works, which I downloaded as a PDF. So the primary benefit I experienced was feeling significantly less frustrated and having actually found wheat among the chaff. Now, whether another person would have been able to get good results with comparable frustration levels using the Google Books interface directly, I don't know. What I *do* know is that I found it quite useful. I am aware it gave me a PDF and not an epub, but I will convert it myself.

Obviously my primary use of the product is not as "just another ereader." Which is not its primary claim of value, I don't think. But I do like the ereader interface and I even like the animated page turning. De gustibus non est disputandem.

I did not encounter a case in which GooReader said a book was full preview and the book was not full preview. But I haven't accessed a lot of books yet. Mainly I was weeding through chaff to find the wheat, so I actually accessed only the winners.

ymmv.
wilsonch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #20
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
So it can download to PDF "Full View" books (meaning those that are not in the public domain, those that you can view only in your internet browser)?
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #21
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
I hate those cheesy "pretend to turn a page" animations in readers.
I like them. I like a bookshelf too. Oh well.

Not that I'll pay money for this one.

And the paper cut thingy -
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
wilsonch
Enthusiast
wilsonch is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Androids; Kindle Touch; an Android Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
So it can download to PDF "Full View" books (meaning those that are not in the public domain, those that you can view only in your internet browser)?
I am not able to answer your question. I downloaded as a PDF one work from before 1910. I do not know anything about the distinction you are asking about.
wilsonch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #23
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
Huh? I thought all the "full view" google books were public domain only?
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #24
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
Huh? I thought all the "full view" google books were public domain only?
No, authors can choose to have their books fully viewable on google books (like, for instance, if their book is out of print and not likely to be reprinted). Example:
http://books.google.com/books?id=lB6F9z9D-9IC
But you can't download it.
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #25
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I, too, do not see the point in emulating page turns and bookshelves for digital editions.

The website claims that converting Google books to PDF is the "ideal solution" for Sony reader, Kindle and Nook! PDF seems pretty useless to me on such small screens, unless you can control the format to create a PDF specifically for that size of screen. Can you do that?

And then there's that name. GooReader? Seriously? Are there a lot of people out there reading goo, or is this a product for babies?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If they make an app for the iPad/iPhone world, that would be useful. These devices can't download a PDF file cuz they have no "desktop". They require an app to own the file. Thus, a google reader could be useful for them. But a Windows only app? Not so useful, IMHO.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #27
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
If they make an app for the iPad/iPhone world, that would be useful. These devices can't download a PDF file cuz they have no "desktop". They require an app to own the file. Thus, a google reader could be useful for them. But a Windows only app? Not so useful, IMHO.
iPads (and I assume iPhones) can indeed download PDFs, and have several different apps capable of reading them.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
It seems they are trying to develop mac/ ios/ android versions.
Goo reader may be ok for exporting to pdf (I have not bought it). It is also potentially very useful to keep a link to a google book; and probably the best way to quickly going to the page one wishes to read in a google book. Yet, they also claim that it is a reader; the program "even" has "drawing" tools. But one cannot even scroll down on a page? (unless I miss something). This reader shows pages in the double-page mode, has a "fit to width" option, but it is not possible to scroll down? (Are we supposed to use this in >20'' screens only?)
--Edit: Correction: I "missed something." One can move the page up/downwards by pressing the right-click on the mouse

Last edited by mrevent; 09-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote