Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
What have I done?!?!?!

Hi everyone,

I've done something to some of my epub files and now they wont load up on my BeBook 1 using OI firmware yet still display in Sigil and Calibre.

The only thing I have done is...
1: In order to create a TOC I followed the tutorial guidelines and highlighted each chapter heading and selected "heading 1" from the drop down box.
2: Again, following the tutorial guidelines I inserted a cover image at the start of the book. All images are of the right size or slightly smaller.

With one file, in order to narrow down the problem, I decided to only change the chapter heading of chapter 1 and did not change anything else at all. This epub already had a cover image and worked fine on my BeBook before changing the heading of chapter 1 to "heading 1". After making that one change it simply wouldn't display on my BeBook. Each time I tried to load it up it would go back to the directory.

I know that isn't alot to go on but does anyone have any ideas what might have gone wrong.

Cheers,
PKFFW

Last edited by PKFFW; 07-29-2010 at 07:48 AM.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Do the modified epubs pass epubcheck? (a web-based version is here

http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/

if you don't have it on your computer.)

Otherwise, maybe it's not the chapter headers but the "invisible hand" of HTML tidy, which is built into Sigil, and which occasionally, silently, modifies the HTML code in an unhelpful way. To test, you could try loading a "good" epub into sigil, make only some insignificant change in the text, and save it to another name. See if it still loads.

If none of the above offers any clue, you may want to ask in the BeBook forum on this site.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=216
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi st_albert and thanks for the reply.

Looks like the files don't pass the check.

One file came up with the same error 17 times so I assume that has something to do with the chapter heading thing going wrong as there are 17 chapters.

The others came up with errors concerning the preservation of the aspect ratio of the cover picture or with "referenced resource missing in the package" when referring to the coverpage.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix these problems. I tried simply removing the cover page altogether in those files that seemed affected only by that problem but that didn't resolve the issue.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Hi st_albert and thanks for the reply.

Looks like the files don't pass the check.

One file came up with the same error 17 times so I assume that has something to do with the chapter heading thing going wrong as there are 17 chapters.

The others came up with errors concerning the preservation of the aspect ratio of the cover picture or with "referenced resource missing in the package" when referring to the coverpage.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix these problems. I tried simply removing the cover page altogether in those files that seemed affected only by that problem but that didn't resolve the issue.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers,
PKFFW
You need to post the error log (wrap in a Spoiler tag)
So the guru's can give it a go
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard

Ok, here are the error messages on the 4 files that have mucked up. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

1:
Spoiler:
1: ERROR: Starship troopers - Robert A. Heinlein.epub/OEBPS/Text/titlepage.xhtml(19): bad value for attribute "preserveAspectRatio"
2: Check finished with warnings or errors!

Preflight report - Passed

2:
Spoiler:
1: ERROR: Jumper - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Gould, Steven - Jumper 1 - Jumper_split_000.html(21): 'OEBPS/Text/Pics/JumperCover.jpg': referenced resource missing in the package

Preflight report
1: ERROR: Jumper - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Gould, Steven - Jumper 1 - Jumper_split_000.html(21): 'OEBPS/Text/Pics/JumperCover.jpg': referenced resource missing in the package

3:
Spoiler:
1: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(16): unfinished element
2: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
3: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
4: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(28): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
5: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(29): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
6: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(30): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
7: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_004.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
8: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_005.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
9: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_006.htm(29): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
10: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_007.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
11: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_009.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
12: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_010.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
13: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_011.htm(29): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
14: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_012.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
15: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_013.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
16: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_014.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
17: Check finished with warnings or errors!

4:
Spoiler:
1: ERROR: Reflex - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Gould, Steven - Jumper 2 - Reflex_split_000.html(21): 'OEBPS/Text/Pics/ReflexCover.jpg': referenced resource missing in the package

Preflight report
1: ERROR: Reflex - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Gould, Steven - Jumper 2 - Reflex_split_000.html(21): 'OEBPS/Text/Pics/ReflexCover.jpg': referenced resource missing in the package

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Ok, here are the error messages on the 4 files that have mucked up. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

1:
Spoiler:
1: ERROR: Starship troopers - Robert A. Heinlein.epub/OEBPS/Text/titlepage.xhtml(19): bad value for attribute "preserveAspectRatio"

2:
Spoiler:

Preflight report

3:
Spoiler:
1: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(16): unfinished element
2: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
3: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
4: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(28): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
5: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(29): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
6: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_003.htm(30): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
7: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_004.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
8: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_005.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
9: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_006.htm(29): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
10: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_007.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
11: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_009.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
12: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_010.htm(26): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
13: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_011.htm(29): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
14: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_012.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
15: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_013.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
16: ERROR: Jumper_ Griffin's Story - Steven Gould.epub/OEBPS/Text/Steven Gould - Jumper 03 - Griffin's Story v1.1 (BD)_split_014.htm(27): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored
17: Check finished with warnings or errors!

4:
Spoiler:

Preflight report

Cheers,
PKFFW
I am not a Guru but my 2 cents

#2 and #4 are the same No cover file (or the filename case is wrong for case sensitive linux)

clear appears in all files, so it might be a incorrect background color (should be transparent)
or part of a paragraph that float around an image.
#1 appears that you hav an incorrect attribute setting associated with a titlepage image or it may be that you have mixed case << not sure on his one
Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I'm no guru either, but I do note that I cannot see why these errors would be caused by chapter header changes in sigil. They seem to indicate, for the most part, that something is missing from the epub package. You can (as you may know) open the epub as a zip file (rename *.epub to *.zip if necessary) and verify whether the indicated resource (namely the cover image in most cases) is really present where it says it is.

re: File number 3, with all the "attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored" errors. These errors are probably not the reason why it won't open on your reader. I think the real problem is the first error listed: "unfinished element".

How did you generate these epubs in the first place? Or did you download them from somewhere else?

In any case, I'm getting the sense that it is not anything YOU or Sigil did wrong that is causing this. Some deeper magic must be at work. Not that I'm quite ready to absolve "tidy" just yet.

Oh, and BTW what version of sigil are you using? Hopefully the most recent, 0.2.3

Last edited by st_albert; 07-29-2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: clarification, I hope.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
I'm no guru either, but I do note that I cannot see why these errors would be caused by chapter header changes in sigil. They seem to indicate, for the most part, that something is missing from the epub package. You can (as you may know) open the epub as a zip file (rename *.epub to *.zip if necessary) and verify whether the indicated resource (namely the cover image in most cases) is really present where it says it is.

re: File number 3, with all the "attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored" errors. These errors are probably not the reason why it won't open on your reader. I think the real problem is the first error listed: "unfinished element".

How did you generate these epubs in the first place? Or did you download them from somewhere else?

In any case, I'm getting the sense that it is not anything YOU or Sigil did wrong that is causing this. Some deeper magic must be at work. Not that I'm quite ready to absolve "tidy" just yet.

Oh, and BTW what version of sigil are you using? Hopefully the most recent, 0.2.3
I am with you on "tidy". One typo and it will wipe out a file. That can be many "chapters" if they have not been split into seperate files.

Sigil book browser : Images should show the cover and all other images.
The other day, someone had an EPUB file with the images all external (URL) to the EPUB
I would look in the CV for the img tags and the "clear" to see how they are used.
And Yes!, you can make a CV mess setting headings in BV, that you can only rectify in CV.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard

Thanks guys. I think I might try it all from scratch again and see if that helps. It's got to be less prone to errors than making changes to the file after the fact.

If that doesn't work I might be back to beg and plead for one of the guru's to help me out! haha

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
PKFFW
Wizard

After starting from scratch with each book I now have 4 books that display very nicely on my BeBook.

Interesting thing is all four don't pass the epub check test. Most have many of the same errors as they had before as well.

To figure the problem out I eventually went to making a single change with each book, saving the file, loading it to my BeBook and seeing if it displayed. If it did I made another change and repeated and so on. There is probably a much quicker and easier way to do it!

The problem seems to be that the way I tried to change the cover image on these books was wrong. I eventually figured a way to do it for three of the books. However the technique didn't work for the fourth one. I finally just gave up and decided that book didn't need a cover!

I just hope the fact that the files don't pass the epub check doesn't mean that if I ever change ereader the books are not going to display correctly on the new reader. That would be real pain in the butt.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys.

Cheers,
PKFFW