Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
PRS 950 or 650??

For someone trying to decide between the Sony PRS 950 and 650 (and not worried about the delayed availability of the 950 or the price differential), what are the trade-offs between the two?

Is the 950 clearly the better choice? Or not?

And why?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
For someone trying to decide between the Sony PRS 950 and 650 (and not worried about the delayed availability of the 950 or the price differential), what are the trade-offs between the two?

And why?

Thanks!
I thought about getting the 950. Since I figure even with added inch it's probably as big as my 505. But I don't really need 3g or wifi. Also what I really want is a large 9.7 device with good PDF support. Sadly no such device currently exist.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have the same dilemma. I don't care about the wi-fi or the 3g, the only reason that I would spend the extra $$$ on a 950 is because of the extra inch. I like that the 900 (and I imagine the 950) divides PDFs into thirds in landscape mode, so that scanned PDFs (which I have quite a few of) or PDFs that don't render correctly in reflow mode can be easily read. But then again, the 650 does have the pan and scanned, which seems to be improved over the 600, so maybe I don't really need the extra inch. hmmm.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Also what I really want is a large 9.7 device with good PDF support. Sadly no such device currently exist.
Me too. I'm interested in the Pocketbook 903, but now that I've been seeing all these great new Pearl screens, I think I might wait a few more months for the next batch. However, my hubby really wants my old 505, so I think I'm going to pass that along to him and get myself one of the new Sonys in the meantime.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The touch, wireless, WiFi all are features that are NOT important to me.

I'm looking for the same quality as my 505. The larger display of the 950 sounds appealing but I wouldn't want any lesser using/reading quality.
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I also wish SONY came up with a larger-screen device. For the moment, I make do with the PRS900. Reading PDFs works, but in landscape mode - displaying a third of the page. It's fine for text, but not if you deal with a lot of graphs, figures and the like.

I plan on upgrading to the 950 as soon as it becomes available.

Compared to the 600/650, the extra screen size is a big plus, not just for PDFs. I like large fonts when reading ebooks - and that means less page turns with the 900. Also, if you plan on reading newspapers/magazines, the extra screen size is a must.

3g and wifi... well, it depends on the use you make of the device. Again, if you like getting your morning newspaper, it's very convenient. If you travel a lot, it's nice being able to get them on the fly - and to purchase a book when you are lonely in a hotel room... but really, that all depends on your habits.

The downside of the bigger device, in terms of portability, seems negligible.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Rydertheblack
Þýskaland sonur
Rydertheblack began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900 // prs650
The prs950 has browsing.. basic but at least you browse.. no videos.. no java content or any thing like that.. i would like to try it but first i will get use the 650
Rydertheblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The touch, wireless, WiFi all are features that are NOT important to me.

I'm looking for the same quality as my 505. The larger display of the 950 sounds appealing but I wouldn't want any lesser using/reading quality.
I played with a 350 and 650 in the Sony store on Thursday (the day after their announcement--they had floor models in quick!) ... The screens were fantastic looking. They had an old 900 alongside the 350 and 650, since the 950 isn't ready yet, and the differences were clear. You could see reflection and shadow on the 900's screen. On the 350 and 650, you could only see shadow. Glare didn't seem to be an issue and/or was comparable to the 300/505 (if you felt they had glare problems; I didn't).

I didn't have a 505 or 300 around for comparison, but I'd say the 350 and 650 both looked better than I remember any of the previous "good" Reader screens being. The white seemed whiter and the black seemed blacker... and touch-enabled. It looks like Sony finally figured it out.

As for tradeoffs between the 650 and 950, there really aren't any authorities on the subject yet. People have touched 650's, but nobody has gotten a 950. However, all models seem pretty darned close now. The 350 stands out in that it's the smallest, and has no memcard slots. The 950, from what I can gather, stands out in that it's the biggest. AFAIK, it's identical to the 650, just bigger + wifi/3G. As you know, the daily editions are oblong rectangles. Their relatively narrow width may make them tempting to put in large, coat pockets, but their length will likely prohibit it. Some bags that seem up to the task may take issue with their dominant dimension.

Not knowing what all the new features were of the new models, I didn't test PDF stuff on the 650. Supposedly, render times are faster and it will remember your pan & zoom position now. I will have to remember to do that next time I'm in the store.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

And why?

Thanks!
I would not buy 950.
Its bigger screen doesn't live up to the expectations.
It is taller than 6". If it were bigger than 6" by 1" proportionally, then it would clearly be the winner. However, it is as wide as 6". It means when you enlarge text size, you will get on 950 as much of text in one line as on 650. What is a point?

Last edited by astra; 09-04-2010 at 06:02 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
eReader size comparison:
http://blogkindle.com/ereader-comparison/
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Excellent visualisation!
Thanks for the link
Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It is taller than 6". If it were bigger than 6" by 1" proportionally, then it would clearly be the winner. However, it is as wide as 6". It means when you enlarge text size, you will get on 950 as much of text in one line as on 650. What is a point?
That is exactly what makes it so endearing to me. I don't like too long a line (it slows down my reading speed) but do want to see the flow of the text - the more the better - which is helped by the longer/higher screen.

I was pretty much set on a Kindle 3 but am now contemplating waiting for the 950.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
That is exactly what makes it so endearing to me. I don't like too long a line (it slows down my reading speed) but do want to see the flow of the text - the more the better - which is helped by the longer/higher screen.

I was pretty much set on a Kindle 3 but am now contemplating waiting for the 950.
Good point.
It shows we are very different. Hope it will help the topic starter to make the right decision.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
If you really want something around 10" I would recommend to look at the ipad, too. I was hesitant at first,too (I still disapprove to apples closed ecosystem), but it's just plain awesome for colored, heavy formatted pdfs. It's faster than my eInk devices for pdfs and I can easily sit on the couch and surf mobileread, too.
Battery life is decent considering it's not an eInk device. With my usage (reading, surfing, an occasional round of solitaire played by my wife), I get about a week of battery life. Sometimes it's shorter. That's when my wife can't get off playing solitaire .

For reading plain text, I still prefer my dediated eInk Prs600.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard

Lots of good info in this thread! The link to the size comparison page is helpful also.

It appears there are no drawbacks to the 950. It is looking more and more interesting!