Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
aklau75
aklau75 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S6
Unhappy calibre crashes during "get list of books on device"

I have a new laptop (Windows 10) and am trying to get my Samsung galaxy s6 connected with calibre, something I have done with at least two other laptops successfully before. Unfortunately, connecting to a device means the program has to run through the entire device once to be able to tell calibre to ONLY focus on a certain folder (here, the ebook folder I have set up). But calibre keeps crashing during the initial process.

It runs fine for a minute or so, then it stops and finally crashes (see pictures). It gets stuck pretty early on, on a .csv file. I tried removing it temporarily but then calibre gets stuck on something else before crashing.

I can connect through calibre companion, but will only do so in an emergency, since the app doesn't allow me to sort the books in the order I want, it just puts them all in one, messy, folder.

My reading app, Moon Reader Pro, allows me to sort the books according to the Storage Folder, which is important to me as I have about 1300+ books on my device. And I want to be able to use the wonderful feature in calibre by which I can update the metadata in my books, as long as there is a corresponding book in the calibre library.

Can someone help, plz? I have rebooted the laptop and the phone, without success, tried running calibre as an administrator- nothing works.

Can the initial run-through be skipped somehow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre stuck.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	155092   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre crashes.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	155093  
aklau75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No I'm afraid there is no way to skip the initial scan. If you are using calibre companion why do you care how the books are stored, you should be able to use the full calibre metadata to browse your collection on the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklau75 View Post
I can connect through calibre companion, but will only do so in an emergency, since the app doesn't allow me to sort the books in the order I want, it just puts them all in one, messy, folder.
CC can put files in any folder structure you want. Change the file template in the calibre wireless device driver or use CC's built-in file template capability (see our FAQ What can I use in a CC file name template?).

If you have further questions about this please post in the CC forum.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote