Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #1486
GeorgB
GeorgB began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Yes, increasing/decreasing the font size does not work when using the joystick.
GeorgB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #1487
lichunter
lichunter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichunter View Post
Hello...
With the new firmware (M92.update-20130717), the web browser doesn't work...

Anybody has the same problem ?
Ok, I'm sorry...
The first time I tried to use the web browser didn't work... I turn off the m-92, I sent my message to this forum and I went to sleep... but at next day I tried again and it work...!!!
I don't know what happened...

Thank you for your replies.
lichunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #1488
lichunter
lichunter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichunter View Post
Ok, I'm sorry...
The first time I tried to use the web browser didn't work... I turn off the m-92, I sent my message to this forum and I went to sleep... but at next day I tried again and it work...!!!
I don't know what happened...

Thank you for your replies.
Well... I think I know what is the problem...
When you close an application/browser that need wifi connection and disconnect the wifi, it seem that it's no possible to connect wifi again...
I have turn off the M-92, wait to shutdown, turn on the device and open application/browser to get wifi connection working again...
Anybody has the same problem...?
I use wifi with a strong signal and:
security type: WPA2-PSK
Encryption type: AES
Modem: 802.11 a/b/n

Thank you
lichunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #1489
programador
programador began at the beginning.

Device: Not yet
Hi Booxtor,

Please can you told me something about those short questions?
1. The firmwares you post are official?
2. Are they based on the original ones? (so they include the original fixes + the new ones you make)
3. Are they for the M92 BLACK PEARL EDITION (the one Onyx sells now)?

THANKS A LOT

Last edited by programador; 08-06-2013 at 05:52 AM.
programador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #1490
gettix
gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.gettix can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I can answer you 3) in the meanwhile until booxtor answers the rest, because I think this is important:

Onyx (the producer/manufacturer of the boox m92) definitely DOES NOT sell any black pearl edition.

onyx-boox.com (which sells the "black pearl edition") = artatach from poland

BUT!!!!: onyx-boox.com ≠ (not equal) onyx (the boox producer)
You can find the real company "onyx" under http://onyx-international.com

You have to be very careful because this is very confusing. But fact is: artatech intentionally exploits this confusion and is responsible for it in the first place. They created the website extra to look like they were the official onyx company although they are just reseller. I'm not an economic lawyer but for me this seems illegal or at least unfair and I don't know if you want to support a business model that is built on confusing the consumer and strictly speaking betray the costumer.

The technical side makes the situation even worse due to artatech's attitude to lock "their" firmware, but that's another discussion.

Therefore booxtors firmware doesn't work with artatech devices (and that's definitely artatechs, not booxtors, fault, because booxtors firmware will work with any other boox m92 devices from any other reseller, except for the artatech ones), but please search in the mobileread forum and this thread for more information, it was already discussed often enough.
gettix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #1491
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmol View Post
I have installed M92.update-20130717 and noticed that joystick up/down does not increase/decrease the font size while reading epub files. Has anybody noticed that too?
For me, there is only with CoolReader for wich there is a problem. There is no problem with the EPUB files for the PDFReader and FBReader.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #1492
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettix View Post
I can answer you 3) in the meanwhile until booxtor answers the rest, because I think this is important:

Onyx (the producer/manufacturer of the boox m92) definitely DOES NOT sell any black pearl edition.

onyx-boox.com (which sells the "black pearl edition") = artatach from poland

BUT!!!!: onyx-boox.com ≠ (not equal) onyx (the boox producer)
You can find the real company "onyx" under http://onyx-international.com

You have to be very careful because this is very confusing. But fact is: artatech intentionally exploits this confusion and is responsible for it in the first place. They created the website extra to look like they were the official onyx company although they are just reseller. I'm not an economic lawyer but for me this seems illegal or at least unfair and I don't know if you want to support a business model that is built on confusing the consumer and strictly speaking betray the costumer.

The technical side makes the situation even worse due to artatech's attitude to lock "their" firmware, but that's another discussion.

Therefore booxtors firmware doesn't work with artatech devices (and that's definitely artatechs, not booxtors, fault, because booxtors firmware will work with any other boox m92 devices from any other reseller, except for the artatech ones), but please search in the mobileread forum and this thread for more information, it was already discussed often enough.
Good reply, Gettix. You've right.

Programador,
1/ The firmwares posted by Booxtor are the product of the cooperation of Booxtor and Onyx International - China.
2/ Read the first post of this thread to know what's is in the firmware.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #1493
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
I just wanted to point out that the dictionary still suffers from rather notable flaws:

At first, non-compressed StarDict dictionaries are not supported at the moment. There do exist dictionaries that don't come as ".dict.dz" but as ".dict". In order to use such a dictionary, I have to use dictzip to compress the ".dict" file. This should at least be mentioned somewhere (in the start post e.g.).

From time to time, the "similar words" view doesn't work when the dictionary tool is embedded: Selecting a word from the text will show the "best" match's meaning, but when switching to "similar words" I get nothing (instead of a list). In these situations, I have to use the "D" button to switch to the full dictionary tool, where the "similar words" view will work as expected.

When looking up a word, the default option is displaying the "best" match. But in many situations the list of "similar words" is the only desirable outcome and having to click on the "similar words"-button each time is somewhat cumbersome. It should be possible changing this default behaviour as needed.

The last thing, which has by far the lowest priority, is the possibility to look up in several dictionaries simultaneously, just like with existing dictionary tools (compare with GoldenDict and ColorDict for Android).

Last edited by tuxor; 08-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #1494
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
dictionary still suffers from rather notable flaws
I support the above, and If I could add that:

* The dictionary causes non-refresh issues in browser again.
This was fixed in the prior f/w version, but have come back.

* It has become functionally 'transparent'; e.g. if the swap-to-top button happens to be in front of an active link on the web pace, when pressed, the underlying link is also activated.

CJ

Last edited by CJY; 08-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #1495
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
I fully agree with tuxor
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #1496
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Quote:
From time to time, the "similar words" view doesn't work when the dictionary tool is embedded: Selecting a word from the text will show the "best" match's meaning, but when switching to "similar words" I get nothing (instead of a list). In these situations, I have to use the "D" button to switch to the full dictionary tool, where the "similar words" view will work as expected.
I had a look at the code on https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk. (Whether the dictionary tool included with 1.8 20130717 is actually based on this code, is unclear!) I suspect the error in "code/src/dictionary/dict_widget.cpp", namely in "DictWidget::updateSimilarWordsModel".

Further scrutiny now revealed, that the error only occurs for words whose dictionary entry differs from the actually selected expression. For those words, a "fuzzy word" search is executed and those "fuzzy words" don't produce anything in the "similar words" view. Strangely enough, this functionality should be already included by this commit: https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk...a5665474f27da1

Booxtor: Is the source code in "booxsdk" github repository the actual source code of the dictionary tool as we see it in the most recent firmware version?

EDIT, 2013/08/18 20:30: I tried compiling the code from the github repo, but it didn't change anything. Maybe the "dict_tool" binary only refers to the standalone dictionary tool and the dictionary widget is included via some library that is statically included in the reader software.
I'm pretty sure this error could be resolved easily if the reader source code was open. I hope, they will at least bring a fix soon.

Last edited by tuxor; 08-18-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #1497
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
Quote:
EDIT, 2013/08/18 20:30: I tried compiling the code from the github repo, but it didn't change anything. Maybe the "dict_tool" binary only refers to the standalone dictionary tool and the dictionary widget is included via some library that is statically included in the reader software.
I'm pretty sure this error could be resolved easily if the reader source code was open. I hope, they will at least bring a fix soon.
Now that is going to be released the new reader, I really hope Boox will release the full source code. Not considering the pdfreader, all other programs have no reasons to be close software.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #1498
Arrow245
Arrow245 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow245 View Post
Could anyone please take a picture of the dictionary look-up of this reader?
I really wonder how it looks like.
Anyone?

I really like to buy this product but it's not sold here in Turkey and because it can be so difficult to send it back after ordering, i want to find out anything about its features.
I searched hard on google, youtube and haven't come across an image or video about this feature.
Does it look like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05J3u5iqK7E

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Arrow245; 08-25-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Arrow245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #1499
tuxor
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow245 View Post
Yes, that's how it looks. But the video is pretty awkward in several ways:

- With the latest firmware version you can enter the dictionary lookup mode with a simple tap on an icon in the bottom tool bar.
- When looking up a word in the bottom half of the screen, the dictionary tool appears at the top edge of the screen and vice versa. In the video, this feature looks a bit irritating. But in fact, it comes in very handy and I can't think of any better way of handling this.
- In the video, it looks like hitting a word in the text is very cumbersome. But you get used to that very quickly and you definitely end up having a smooth user experience all in all.

What's true: When marking a word that's not in the dictionary, you get the dictionary entry of some word that "looks like" the requested word. But in practice that's not helpful at all and you will have to switch to the word list, which suffers from some bugs at the moment (I talked about those bugs just some posts above this one).
Old 08-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #1500
Arrow245
Arrow245 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
tuxor, thank you very much for taking time to answer.
Arrow245 is offline   Reply With Quote