Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #1
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Is it possible to access the notes without logging in?

Is it possible to access the notes without logging in? Onyx devices are great, however, the fact that there is a requirement to log in Onyx account to access one's notes locally and it bothers me a lot: is it if one day you can't log in anymore? Would all the notes be lost? Even without logging in, one cannot even restore a backup that is locally present on the device! Or, rather, you can do it but the notes are not displayed. I find this very irritating! It seems to me just a practice to tie data (starting with email) of a user to a device. Logging in to the Onyx account should be optional and only for those who want to synchronize their notes with other devices or to make backups of them on the cloud. It would be nice if you could at least back up the logged-in account so that you could restore if the Onyx service was suspended.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Is it possible to access the notes without logging in? Onyx devices are great, however, the fact that there is a requirement to log in Onyx account to access one's notes locally and it bothers me a lot: is it if one day you can't log in anymore? Would all the notes be lost? Even without logging in, one cannot even restore a backup that is locally present on the device! Or, rather, you can do it but the notes are not displayed. I find this very irritating! It seems to me just a practice to tie data (starting with email) of a user to a device. Logging in to the Onyx account should be optional and only for those who want to synchronize their notes with other devices or to make backups of them on the cloud. It would be nice if you could at least back up the logged-in account so that you could restore if the Onyx service was suspended.
It should be possible. What firmware are you on? I can access notes locally without a net connection and I'm not entirely sure my two devices are both currently logged into Oynx's service (they were at one point I know but now both are really outta sync).
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #3
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
It should be possible. What firmware are you on? I can access notes locally without a net connection and I'm not entirely sure my two devices are both currently logged into Oynx's service (they were at one point I know but now both are really outta sync).
I have firmware 3.2.4. You can certainly access the notes without an internet connection, but if you log out of your Onyx account you won't be able to see them.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's not true? I'm not currently logged in on my Nova 2 on 3.2.4 and I can still see them. Can you make a new note and see that? What exactly happens when you click on notes while not logged in?

Edit: I see now. That's dumb but you can just log out and do just local notes if that's what you want. Although you won't get your old notes so maybe export them to PDFs or something.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 10-01-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #5
cicabum
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
That's not true? I'm not currently logged in on my Nova 2 on 3.2.4 and I can still see them. Can you make a new note and see that? What exactly happens when you click on notes while not logged in?

Edit: I see now. That's dumb but you can just log out and do just local notes if that's what you want. Although you won't get your old notes so maybe export them to PDFs or something.
if I log out I get this message:"Note will not be visible after logging out, but will be visible again after logging into the same account. If some data is still syncing in the background, the syn may fail. Are you sure to exit it?" In fact if I log out and then go to see my notes are no longer there (I have attached a screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-10-02 21_23_12-Clipboard.png
Views:	98
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	196947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221002-210649.png
Views:	92
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	196948  

Last edited by cicabum; 10-02-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Advert
Old 10-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
if I log out I get this message:"Note will not be visible after logging out, but will be visible again after logging into the same account. If some data is still syncing in the background, the syn may fail. Are you sure to exit it?" In fact if I log out and then go to see my notes are no longer there (I have attached a screenshot).
Yeah but if you stay logged out then you can keep doing local notes. That's why I mentioned exporting your current notes to PDF. Not ideal and it's a dumb change but you can do local notes if you want. Maybe if you complain about this in Feedback they will fix it. Sometimes that works.