Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
aReader
aReader began at the beginning.

Device: None
.lit to .pdf

Hi, I bought an ebook from BooksOnBoard in .lit format. This is my first MS Reader book. I've discovered I don't like reading in this format. I want to go back to reading in PDF format (I don't have any handheld reader). I used ConvertLit GUI to strip the DMR and ABC Amber to convert the stripped .lit to .pdf. However, everytime I tried opening the .lit, it endswith "Error Occurred!". What am I doing wrong?
aReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest using the "Extract" ConvertLIT GUI option to explode the LIT to HTML+IMAGES+OPF. If the HTML is a single file (it isn't always), then convert it to PDF with your favorite editor. Two options are Open Office or the web browser plugin PDF Download by Nitro PDF Software. Not all LITs contain a single HTML file, and it might be tougher to convert a multi-file HTML to PDF, but first see what you get.

Note that ePub and MOBI are easy to create from LIT using Calibre (has its own forum), and you might like Adobe Didital Editions (ePub) or Windows MobiPocket Reader better than MS Reader. For that matter, Calibre has its own reader application.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
aReader

I extracted it and it exploded to lots of files. Except for the .opf file, the other 50 files (36 html, 11 jpeg, 2 gif, and 1 css) are empty. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I like to read as a PDF because that is what I am use to. I like controlling how large or small the doc gets and I like to use the cursor as a pointer. ARGGGGGH, I don't know what made me buy the .lit version of the book.

This is probably not the forum for it, but, if I want to buy a reader, what will you recommend? Some of them are the price of a netbook!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi aReader,

Copistar will convert LITs to PDFs. Unfortunately it is commercial software.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReader View Post
I extracted it and it exploded to lots of files. Except for the .opf file, the other 50 files (36 html, 11 jpeg, 2 gif, and 1 css) are empty.
Are you sure the DRM is being removed? Click on help in the GUI, and read the ConvertLIT readme (note: not the GUI readme).
Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Recently, I got the same problem with one of my lit files. Downconverted the lit file then I used Calibre's lit2oeb and got multiple htmls.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
This is probably not the forum for it, but, if I want to buy a reader, what will you recommend? Some of them are the price of a netbook!
Why do people say that? A netbook is not a reader, and vice versa.

Anyway, if you want cheap go to bookwise.com and get one of those. If you want eInk the least expensive one will be the Sony 505. But after you use it for a month or so you will realize it was worth it. Assuming you read more than the average .5 books a year most US citizens read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
aReader

Wallcraft:
I downconverted the file which I think means removing the DRM. It opens in Calibre. I then tried opening the original file and it says it can't open because of DRM.

Pilotbob:
Reason I mentioned the netbook is because the netbook is compact and you can do other things besides reading.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Reason I mentioned the netbook is because the netbook is compact and you can do other things besides reading.
If that is what you need it's ok. But it isn't the optimum reading device. To heavy/bulky and the battery could die before you finish a session.

It's like having a camera on your cell phone. Sure, it is ok for the occasional snap... but if you are serious about taking good pics you will want a dedicated camera.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Wallcraft:
I downconverted the file which I think means removing the DRM.
Yes, the DRM is gone. I think you must have one of the LITs that can't be extracted with ConvertLIT (which is why ABC fails, they use the same code). This is bad luck for your 1st LIT. Calibre should be able to convert it to ePub (read with Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions) or MOBI (read with MobiPocket Reader). If you are familiar with the command line, Calibre's any2lit might give you a modified LIT that ABC can convert to PDF.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
aReader

I tried any2lit and any2pub. ABC got the same error with the lit file from any2lit. Adobe Digital Edition abended with the epub file created by any2pub. I guess I have to stick with MS Reader or buy a paper version of the book.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This sounds like one of those handful of Lit's that came out a while back & C-Lit wouldn't work properly on them. There is a 'fixed' version of C-Lit floating around the darknet that handles these, or at least it did for the problem ones I'm thinking of.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote