Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
New Cell Highlighting Feature

Kovid & chaley for the Current Cell highlighting feature in latest version

It's another small recent changes that's made a HUGE difference for this keyboard centric soul, last weeks keyboard shortcut to Focus Current book was the other one - goes to prove its the little things that count.

Now I can see where I am in the 'spreadsheet' I'll be giving my F2 key a workout, rather than E,

One tiny suggestion - maybe only Quickview-able columns should be italicised.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
I agree -- I love the new cell highlight! I'm an older reader with declining eyesight, and the former little hint of highlight was difficult for me to see. So this is really major for me, and I'm so grateful for that little detail being enhanced. Thank you, Kovid!
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome It was actually rather fun doing it as I had to delve deep into Qt's innards to make it happen. In the end it turned out to be less than 100 lines of code, but I had to learn a lot to make it happen. This is one of those times I am thankful calibre and its dependencies are open source, being able to read the Qt source code was invaluable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
One tiny suggestion - maybe only Quickview-able columns should be italicised.
I prefer to have the current column bold-italic. For some reason I have trouble seeing bold, which makes the italic important for me. For the same reason I would prefer not to mess with the bold; I wouldn't easily see it.

However, we do have underline, and I can see that just fine. The attached screen capture shows what it could look like when underlining quickview-able column headers. If there is general approval I will submit these changes for Kovid's approval.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	260
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	105986  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@chaley: I like it. The underline gives the suggestion of a "link" that we are used to with a browser. If you know about the quickview, it is reasonably obvious. If you don't, hopefully you ask the question about what it does mean.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I prefer to have the current column bold-italic. For some reason I have trouble seeing bold, which makes the italic important for me. For the same reason I would prefer not to mess with the bold; I wouldn't easily see it.

However, we do have underline, and I can see that just fine. The attached screen capture shows what it could look like when underlining quickview-able column headers. If there is general approval I will submit these changes for Kovid's approval.
@chaley it was just a thought, mainly to promote the Quickview feature - which I suspect quite a few users don't know about.

Underline, reverse polish italics - anything but blinking

Thanks again for taking up the Current Cell Highlighting idea, it makes a big difference - more than I anticipated.

I'm really pleased that Kovid enjoyed doing the change - double bonus points.

I also put in a change request for Touch & Clear keyboard shortcuts on Date cells, he's done it already.

Thanks a lot to both of you

BR
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to say, I'm not a fan of this idea. Having some column headers mysteriously underlined for no apparent reason is going to cause confusion, and more importantly, bug noise for me.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have to say, I'm not a fan of this idea. Having some column headers mysteriously underlined for no apparent reason is going to cause confusion, and more importantly, bug noise for me.
Changes sent to the bit bucket.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Could it be placed into the tooltip when you hover the cursor over the column header. For example:

Series
[The lookup/search name is "series"
Press q for a Quickview search]

This would make the feature more discoverable.
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I can't find anything in the manual for Quickview

Member copyrite discovered that the underlying booklist not only tracks the quicklist, but also you can access the booklist, and the quicklist stays on top !!

BR
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I can't find anything in the manual for Quickview

Member copyrite discovered that the underlying booklist not only tracks the quicklist, but also you can access the booklist, and the quicklist stays on top !!

BR
No credit to me, I was merely quoting chaley, I believe, while rewording a bit?

Also quite nice is the ability to click in the author cell of an anthology, pressing Q and being able to see each authors' books listed individually, AND sort by title, or series.

Last edited by copyrite; 05-18-2013 at 08:18 PM.
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
keyboard shortcut to Focus Current book
Something else I missed. What is this shortcut? I'd google this but I'm on my phone. Thanks.
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I have no objections to adding it to the column header tooltips.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Something else I missed. What is this shortcut? I'd google this but I'm on my phone. Thanks.
Shift+Esc Focus the book list
Ctrl+Esc Clear the virtual library

I changed them to ctl/alt/L and ctl/alt/V because they clashed with Windows shortcuts

Re the other item - I missed chaley's linguistic subtleties.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-19-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I have submitted changes to indicate in the column header tooltip that a column is quickview'able.

I also submitted some documentation for inclusion in the GUI section of the manual.
---
Sometimes you want to to select a book and quickly get a list of books with the same value in some category (authors, tags, publisher, series, etc) as the currently selected book, but without changing the current view of the library. You can do this with Quickview. Quickview opens a second window showing the list of books matching the value of interest.

For example, assume you want to see a list of all the books with the same author of the currently-selected book. Click in the author cell you are interested in and press the 'Q' key. A window will open with all the authors for that book on the left, and all the books by the selected author on the right.

Some example Quickview usages: quickly seeing what other books:
- have some tag that is applied to the currently selected book,
- are in the same series as the current book
- have the same values in a custom column as the current book
- are written by one of the same authors of the current book
without changing the contents of the library view.

The Quickview window opens on top of the |app| window and will stay open until you explicitly close it. You can use Quickview and the |app| library view at the same time. For example, if in the |app| library view you click on a category column (tags, series, publisher, authors, etc) for a book, the Quickview window contents will change to show you in the left-hand side pane the items in that category for the selected book (e.g., the tags for that book). The first item in that list will be selected, and Quickview will show you on the right-hand side pane all the books in your library that reference that item. Click on an different item in the left-hand pane to see the books with that different item.

Double-click on a book in the Quickview window to select that book in the library view. This will also change the items display in the QuickView window(the left-hand pane) to show the items in the newly-selected book.

Shift- (or Ctrl-) double-click on a book in the Quickview window to open the edit metadata dialog on that book in the |app| window.

You can see if a column can be Quickview'ed by hovering your mouse over the column heading and looking at the tooltip for that heading. You can also know by right-clicking on the column heading to see of the "Quickview" option is shown in the menu, in which case choosing that Quickview option is equivalent to pressing 'Q' in the current cell.

Quickview respects the virtual library setting, showing only books in the current virtual library.
---