Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Today In Hilariously Wrong Kobobooks Recommendations

Today in hilariously wrong Kobobooks recommendations: "A Beginners Guide To Sheet Metal Fabrication".

I read mainly F/SF, YA, and literary fiction (especially with a fairytale or mythological edge).

What has Kobobooks recommended for you that's made you giggle or scratch your head?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Today in hilariously wrong Kobobooks recommendations: "A Beginners Guide To Sheet Metal Fabrication".

I read mainly F/SF, YA, and literary fiction (especially with a fairytale or mythological edge).

What has Kobobooks recommended for you that's made you giggle or scratch your head?
First, how do you know that the book isn't fiction??

I am always amused when I am recommended the second or third book of a series; a series that I have never read...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
For me, it's the insistence on recommending romance novels. I read SF, fantasy, some mystery and quite a few other genres though I doubt I'm going to find many other Thorne Smith fans. The romance genre I leave to my wife though I'm beginning to wonder since her comments suggest that many of the new romance novels should come with a plain brown wrapper.

Looking at my top 6 recommendations now, I get:

Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson
The Illiad by one of the Homers
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Four Weird Tales by Algernon Blackwood, War and Peace
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
The Joy of Sex, Ultimate Revised Edition by Alex Comfort

The first 6 similar to books you're reading are 3 Susan Mallery romances, 2 Nora Roberts romances and a Susan Wiggs romance. The book the similar to what you're reading is based on is A Matter of Magic by Patricia Wrede which is a reissue of Mairelon the Magician and Magician's Ward, a mix of fantasy and Regency romance and one of the few kepubs I've purchased.

My current reads are War Maid's Choice by David Weber, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold and The Bishop's Jaegers by Thorne Smith. I don't see much resemblance to any of the recommnended books though it could be argued that like Anne McCaffrey, many of Lois McMaster Bujold's book are a mix of SF/fantasy and romance.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
There is a bit of Joy of Sex in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, I suppose, strictly speaking one might define the writing of fiction as fabrication... often outlandish fabrication! But one really does have to wonder at the associations Kobo makes.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
And books do have sheets...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
But ebooks apparently have only style sheets?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Next up: "Incontinence" by I.P. Freely?
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
There is a bit of Joy of Sex in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance...
Also in the War Maid's Choice and The Bishop's Jaegers.

Hmmm.... you may be on to something there.

Regards,
David
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I keep getting recoomendations for the same books I have allready. Oh and the occasional womenly romance novel.... Being a guy it really doesnt crank my case to read romance.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Huh?! Is there a logic to Kobo's recommendations? Like with Amazon?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
After having bought about four more novels from Kobo, I find that all my current recommendations make sense for me.

What was messing things up were the free books I got from the Kobo Book Club. Apparently now I've bought enough books to invalidate the metrics they got when I "purchased" stuff I normally wouldn't.
ottdmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Huh?! Is there a logic to Kobo's recommendations? Like with Amazon?
Considering some of the recommendations I've gotten from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca, there is a certain similarity. After I ordered a copy of Cooking For Two for my daughter from Amazon.ca when she was looking for recipes that weren't oriented to a large family, I received recommendations for several books that seem to have no connection to cooking -- and no, I don't consider a series of mysteries with food based titles and recipes for each book to qualify as cook books though I was tempted by the recipes for Kickin' Craisin Cookies and Key Lime Pie from Key Lime Pie by Josi Kilpack.

Regards,
David
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #14
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering some of the recommendations I've gotten from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca, there is a certain similarity.
Well, I've found Amazon's recommendations way more to the point and useful (with an occasional fluke) than Kobo's. And since I only look for books on history, buy books on history and have books on history in my preview list, it shouldn't be too difficult for the algorithm to recommend books on history.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've seen the Kobo recommendations get much better as I buy more books. At first I was getting about 90% romance recommendations, but as I have bought nothing but scifi and fantasy the romance recommendations are down to about 10%.

I filled out Kobo's getting-to-know-you survey and entered romance as the one genre I never want to read, so hopefully that will get rid of them altogether.

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-17-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote