Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Google offers Nexus 7 w/ mobile data

Google has a new 'tier' of Nexus 7 tablets that can use AT&T or T-mobile (or any SIM-card-using) data networks, and they're just $50 more than their WiFi-only siblings. They're sold out in the Play Store right now, but I imagine they'll be restocking for the holidays.

Google Play via Wired.

I won't have the funds to buy myself a $300 Xmas present, but it's one of the more tempting tabs I've seen in the latest crop. Mobile data somewhat balances the lack of a microSD slot, and 32GB is at least adequate, anyway.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Google is offering a new Chromebook (11.6" laptop) for $249. 16GB storage, 2GB mem 2.4#, 100GB cloud for 2 years for free.
For $80 more ($330) you get 3G Verizon and for the first 2 years, you get 100MB/month for free.

You can add 1GB/Mo for $20, 3GB for $35 and 5GB for $50 which are phenomenal rates.

Also a $199 Acer C7 Chromebook with 320GB harddrive for $199. Also 100GB cloud for 2 year free, but no word on 3G yet.
That I will buy with the 3G.

For both those you get 12 passes for wifi on airplanes over 2 years, supposedly worth $150,

Someone said Google was paying the customers to buy the devices. I am about convinced.

Last edited by SeaKing; 11-15-2012 at 03:40 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
They're sold out in the Play Store right now, but I imagine they'll be restocking for the holidays.
Every one of the new Nexus devices has sold out. Google probably underestimated demand for these devices.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The Nexus 7 32GB 3G is out of stock in the UK too, but the other Nexus 7 models aren't. Nexus 4 and 10 are sold out in all configurations.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
My brother got a chromebook when Google was doing their random giveaway thing for field testing. I would have loved to see it have mobile data. Having either that or a nexus with data sounds really tempting.

I'm almost sold on the idea.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
My brother got a chromebook when Google was doing their random giveaway thing for field testing. I would have loved to see it have mobile data. Having either that or a nexus with data sounds really tempting.

I'm almost sold on the idea.
The strange thing is the new Acer C7 has the 320GB hard drive and costs less ($199) than the new Chromebook ($249) with a 16GB SSD. They will sell the $249 machine with "mobile data - 3G Verizon, 100MB per month for 2 years) for $80 more. ($329) BUT a spokesman says they will not do that for the C7.

Both however will get the free 100GB cloud storage, and the 12 sessions of free Airplane WiFi over 2 years.

There are differences in the machines. The Acer C7 has a ethernet port and 3 USB2 ports. The Chromebook has 2 USB2 ports and 1 USB3 port.
Both have HDMI. Other things are slight difference in weight, etc.

Acer doesn't yet advertise the C7 on their site. It is on Googles.

I was also amazed at the low cost if you wanted more than the 100MB per months. The rates were like half what Verizon charges for 4G and I don't see a Verizon rate plan for 3G.

The other beautiful thing is that you only pay for the extra data when you want. It is not a contract. Really like a MiFi.

Last edited by SeaKing; 11-16-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I've played with various Samsung Chrome Books and Acers in-store, though, and there's a lot to be said for the Samsung's iteration.

I'm shallow when it comes to laptops -- I have to like the look and feel as much as the specs, and the Samsung Chrome Books I've tried in the past (and yesterday in particular) look and feel markedly better for writing than the Acers.

Acer and Toshiba can look superb on a specs page, but so far, I've despised their keyboards and screens in real life.

Of course, the fact that all Chrome Books lack the internal storage for dual booting makes them the last possible choice on my laptop list.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-16-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Now with rumours of Google getting into the wireless market next year chrome devices and other under priced android phones and tablets Google is changing the wireless landscape for the better at least for the US hope it trickles down to us that live outside North America although we are already better off because of real competition between carriers unlike the virtual monopolies that exists in the US.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

I am not interested at all in the $249 3G (add another $80), 16GB SSD for storage Chromebook despite the fact that you could add a SD card and probably a flash drive, but the C7's 320GB hard drive and a total system for $199 got my interest. I take net books with me on my aircraft. Of course the C7 doesn't have the free 3G or any 3/4G but wifi and mifi are usually available.

I loaded up Chrome and Google Drive and some basic docs apps and played with them on my old desktop and was not pleased with the response I got with online writing of simple text. Seemed sluggish.

Still I need to try it on a better machine more equivalent to the C7. I will do that this next week.