Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Can you save Google or Youtube login information?

I can't seem to find anything after looking around the internet for this problem. I tried out Dolphin HD after testing on Silk and it too doesn't offer to save your password after logging into either site. Is it only Firefox then that does?

I'm not a fan of staying logged in forever and like to clear my cookies, but doing so obviously signs you out of Google so your preferences and such won't be there afterwards. So is there a workaround or am I missing something?

I saw there's an add-on for Dolphin HD for saving passwords, assuming I should just try that then.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post
I can't seem to find anything after looking around the internet for this problem. I tried out Dolphin HD after testing on Silk and it too doesn't offer to save your password after logging into either site. Is it only Firefox then that does?

I'm not a fan of staying logged in forever and like to clear my cookies, but doing so obviously signs you out of Google so your preferences and such won't be there afterwards. So is there a workaround or am I missing something?

I saw there's an add-on for Dolphin HD for saving passwords, assuming I should just try that then.

Try switching the User Agent from Mobile to Desktop. I use Dolphin Mini in Desktop Mode on several sites, including YouTube, and it offers to save passwords. I tried Dolphin HD on my gTab using the Android (aka mobile) User Agent on YouTube and was NOT prompted to save a password. As soon as I switched to Desktop (Menu, More, Settings, Dolphin Settings, User Agent) and went back to YouTube it prompted me to save my password. I like Dolphin Mini because all I can change User Agent much faster by simply pressing Menu from the Fire's Options Bar , Toolbox, User Agent.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-12-2011 at 02:25 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Ticallion
Connoisseur

Thanks! That did the trick. Just wish you didn't have to change view settings at all. I wonder why the mobile version doesn't offer to save passwords.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Try switching the User Agent from Mobile to Desktop. I use Dolphin Mini in Desktop Mode on several sites, including YouTube, and it offers to save passwords. I tried Dolphin HD on my gTab using the Android (aka mobile) User Agent on YouTube and was NOT prompted to save a password. As soon as I switched to Desktop (Menu, More, Settings, Dolphin Settings, User Agent) and went back to YouTube it prompted me to save my password. I like Dolphin Mini because all I can change User Agent much faster by simply pressing Menu from the Fire's Options Bar , Toolbox, User Agent.
Are you saying you keep changing between desktop and tablet modes? If so, why keep changing?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Are you saying you keep changing between desktop and tablet modes? If so, why keep changing?

Carol

Not constantly, no. It depends on the site. For example, if I'm on my local newspaper site, NY Times, Amazon, or ESPN I like to go Desktop. If I'm on eBay I like to go mobile.

Plus, if I encounter a website that defaults to the mobile version, I can trick it into thinking that I'm browsing from a desktop, iPad, or iPhone. The last two come in handy because some sites are optimized for IOS and seem to work better using one of those User Agents.

I know Dolphin HD has a Custom user agent but I haven't really messed with it. However, I have played with the Desktop Toggle Add On for Dolphin HD and it works pretty well.

Description:

https://market.android.com/details?i...cFRvZ2dsZXMiXQ..

Download here: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...84345851627169

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-12-2011 at 04:48 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Not constantly, no. It depends on the site. For example, if I'm on my local newspaper site, NY Times, Amazon, or ESPN I like to go Desktop. If I'm on eBay I like to go mobile.

Plus, if I encounter a website that defaults to the mobile version, I can trick it into thinking that I'm browsing from a desktop, iPad, or iPhone. The last two come in handy because some sites are optimized for IOS and seem to work better using one of those User Agents.

I know Dolphin HD has a Custom user agent but I haven't really messed with it. However, I have played with the Desktop Toggle Add On for Dolphin HD and it works pretty well.

Description:

https://market.android.com/details?i...cFRvZ2dsZXMiXQ..

Download here: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...84345851627169
Thanks. I've tried Dolphin Mini and it's pretty good. So is Opera Mobile. Firefox is buggy to me. I may uninstall it.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Ticallion
Connoisseur

Not to stray off into something else, but it seems like nobody else has mentioned this either; the pre-installed Gallery app doesn't animate gif files. Was I the only person bothered by this? I almost thought something was wrong.

Thankfully side loading is possible and there are proper image viewing apps like Quickpic that work perfectly. I don't recall which user here recommended it in another thread but I want to thank them. It's a ton better than the built-in image viewer and allows autoplay of gifs like every normal picture program has done since I can remember.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post
Not to stray off into something else, but it seems like nobody else has mentioned this either; the pre-installed Gallery app doesn't animate gif files. Was I the only person bothered by this? I almost thought something was wrong.

Thankfully side loading is possible and there are proper image viewing apps like Quickpic that work perfectly. I don't recall which user here recommended it in another thread but I want to thank them. It's a ton better than the built-in image viewer and allows autoplay of gifs like every normal picture program has done since I can remember.
It was me. You're welcome. I've been using it on my phone for a long time.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote