Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Please help: Copy Book Hack

I am very close to finish the copy book hack. It is based on the same mechanism of delete book hack, pressing SIZE then MARK to copy current book between internal memory and external card.

The copying is working now. However, I don't know how to force the device to refresh the book list after that. The source.synchronize() only refreshes current memory depending on where you copy the book from, which is not useful since I need to refresh the one I copy the book TO.

I am attaching the code for Hack Builder.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: xml Copy Books.xml (5.8 KB, 713 views)
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
mdhuang
Bookworm

I have found a workaround. Not beautiful, but works nevertheless.
The Copy Hack is implemented as two parts:
Press SIZE + MARK: copy book to another memory.
Press SIZE + SIZE: synchronize current memory (refresh book list).

For example, open a book on external card, and press SIZE + MARK to copy it to internal memory. Then open any book in internal memory and press SIZE + SIZE, it will refresh book list from internal memory and the book which was just copied over will show up.

PLEASE NOTE: The attachments are for HackBuilder1.10 only.
Attached Files
File Type: xml Copy Books.xml (6.4 KB, 675 views)
File Type: xml mainBase.xml (36.4 KB, 723 views)

Last edited by mdhuang; 10-16-2007 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Add attachments
Old 10-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
I'll add this to HB and post a new version tomorrow.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
I'll add this to HB and post a new version tomorrow.
That would be great though I think very few people would be interested in this hack. My use is to copy book from card to internal memory then remove the card, so as to speed up the reader (I found the reader without a card inserted was more responsive for bookmarking and menu navigation. Don't know if that's true for other readers, or for mine only).

Another use I can think of is copy books out from internal memory to card and then share with others. It can be done without a computer with this hack.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
tjika
tjika began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs650
What do I do with the mainbase.xml?
I'm using hackbuilder. Do I put it in the hacks folder?

edit:
I tried it in the hacks folder but it didn't work.
I opened the book from my sd card. went to utilities and pressed size, nothing happened, then pressed mark, delete hack came up. pressed size and mark at the same time, again delete option. Tried it actually reading the book. pressed size, you can guess what happened. How do I use this hack?

Could it be conflicting with other hacks?

Last edited by tjika; 10-17-2007 at 12:48 PM.
tjika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjika View Post
What do I do with the mainbase.xml?
I'm using hackbuilder. Do I put it in the hacks folder?

edit:
I tried it in the hacks folder but it didn't work.
I opened the book from my sd card. went to utilities and pressed size, nothing happened, then pressed mark, delete hack came up. pressed size and mark at the same time, again delete option. Tried it actually reading the book. pressed size, you can guess what happened. How do I use this hack?

Could it be conflicting with other hacks?
Put "Copy Books.xml" under hacks folder and put "mainBase.xml" under data folder (overwriting existing one). I suspect that you have put mainBase.xml in the wrong place.
Or wait a couple days untill Nogg integrates it into HackBuilder release.

I have been using it and not aware of any conflicts so far.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Sorry I didn't get it in yet. It's first on my list when I get some free time.

mdhuang, how much have you tested the new mainbase.xml with other hacks?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
Sorry I didn't get it in yet. It's first on my list when I get some free time.

mdhuang, how much have you tested the new mainbase.xml with other hacks?
COPY_BOOK is basically a duplicate of DELETE_BOOK in mainBase.xml so I don't expect any trouble since DELELE_BOOK has been working. I have the clock, direct page control, copy book, delete book, quit display, total page, small menu font and some button mappings on my reader and neve have any problem.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Nogg
Literate!

mdhuang, does this hack conflict with the delete book hack? I was about to add it, but if it conflicts, I don't think I will. This raises an issue, along with the joystick history issue, that makes me think that I need to implement an additional feature in Hack Builder which will allow you to specify conflicting hacks so they won't both get installed...
Old 10-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
mdhuang, does this hack conflict with the delete book hack? I was about to add it, but if it conflicts, I don't think I will. This raises an issue, along with the joystick history issue, that makes me think that I need to implement an additional feature in Hack Builder which will allow you to specify conflicting hacks so they won't both get installed...
Not at all. I have both working on the same device. No conflicts with any other hacks since its button sequence is unique.