Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Exclamation be careful not to remove the SD card when your reader is on with keyboard locked

unless you want a light brick, you can read about it here....
it happened while I had the divine comedy either on mobi or epub, but don't risk it unless you are brave of heart

Robert,
This is a serious flaw that needs to be addressed.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I had been taking out my card without turning it off.
You could have just gotten a faulty unit as I
never had any problems but now you have scared me
so am not going to try it again
mine is the original hanlin by the way not astak.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I had been taking out my card without turning it off.
You could have just gotten a faulty unit as I
never had any problems but now you have scared me
so am not going to try it again
mine is the original hanlin by the way not astak.
do you have a v3 or v5?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I have a v3
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I have a v3
yup, the problem seems to be with v5....will see after you get the latest firmware update :P
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
be careful not to remove the SD card when your reader is on with keyboard locked
I'm not sure what you are saying here? Of course I haven't read the manual yet ; however, here is what I observe. If the unit is on, and I push the power button, it switches to "keyboard locked". So it appears to me that the 'keyboard locked' occurs when it is off. And I would guess that this is the safe time to remove the card. Is this not true?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Hitting the POWER button locks the keypad. Holding POWER the button will shut it down.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying here? Of course I haven't read the manual yet ; however, here is what I observe. If the unit is on, and I push the power button, it switches to "keyboard locked". So it appears to me that the 'keyboard locked' occurs when it is off. And I would guess that this is the safe time to remove the card. Is this not true?
apparently it is not safe, but mine might have had a different issue (as other people have seen) and it could have been a coincidence, but who knows
Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Hitting the POWER button locks the keypad. Holding POWER the button will shut it down.
Thanks for the clarification, and thanks to SDRebel for the initial heads-up.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
In general, it is best to shut a device off before removing a memory card. I have seen quite a few instances where cards are still being accessed when they are pulled out and it ends up corrupting the data on the card.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich View Post
In general, it is best to shut a device off before removing a memory card. I have seen quite a few instances where cards are still being accessed when they are pulled out and it ends up corrupting the data on the card.
corruption of the data is somewhat acceptable, but bricking the device?? nope nope
Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich View Post
While the Sony units can have their cards changed either off or on, the official position is to change cards with the unit on. Very strange; but, it does point out that there is no standard among readers for this procedure. Each is unique.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
While the Sony units can have their cards changed either off or on, the official position is to change cards with the unit on. Very strange; but, it does point out that there is no standard among readers for this procedure. Each is unique.
And just to throw my 2 cents in......the Kindle1 users guide tells you to definitely turn the unit off before inserting or removing the SD card......in big letters, yet.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
And just to throw my 2 cents in......the Kindle1 users guide tells you to definitely turn the unit off before inserting or removing the SD card......in big letters, yet.
funny how they each tell you a different way and there's is no way of knowing with the thing they call manual, which I am yet to see of any device
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Moo Strength
Moo Strength began at the beginning.

Device: Astek EZ Reader
This is actually a left over from the very first few years that IEEE1394, otherwise known as Firewire and USB. It has been a long standing fact that disconnecting anything with a charge while it's running, can and does run the risk of corrupting the data source. Hell, In the 15 + years that I've been working on computers I've seen a couple times where unplugging and plugging in a PS/2 Keyboard broke the keyboard! If I hadn't seen it happen, I wouldn't have believed it myself.

The truth is even a device that claims to be able to plug and unplug has some minor albeit possible risk of corruption.

Apple has for years required you to physically "drag" the USB or Firewire device to the Trash before disconnecting, if you don't, Mac's will nag you about it. They know that it is possible to corrupt the drive.

A key issue too is if there is data that is being written to the drive; or, if there is data written to the device that is a temporary file. Changes in drive formatting, such as NTFS and the like have greatly improved the protection that random temp files left over on a drive can do to a system if they're rogue...
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote