I don't need to look at the keyboard / (Touch-typist) 51 64.56%
Mostly use speech typing 0 0%
Mostly someone else types for me !!!! 1 1.27%
Any method not on this list ... .. please explain .... 6 7.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Typing

How do you type ?

index fingers on each hand ?

touch type .... ?

via speech type ?

Enquiring minds just interested.... I've been using wordprocessors and PCs for 30 odd years and though I'm not a total touch typist I can usually manage as long as I don't think too much of what I'm doing.

Last edited by GeoffC; 03-19-2009 at 01:25 PM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
All fingers except thumbs - but self-learned, not touch type. I keep trying to touch type, but unless I ge the training it's so slow that I stop trying. Thus, I get no training, etc. :P
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Touch type. Learned in school on actual typewriters, then strengthened my fingers on a second-hand (still owned) 1940's Remington Black Steel Typewriter. Get about 70 - 100wpm.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey guys - let me get the poll up and sorted !!!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Touch type. Learned in school on actual typewriters, then strengthened my fingers on a second-hand (still owned) 1940's Remington Black Steel Typewriter. Get about 70 - 100wpm.
Me too, except strenghtned on a 1980's Brother portable manual with the letters that flopped up and smacked the ribbon. If you wanted BOLD, then you had to back up and re-smack it a few times.

I can type well over 100 wpm, but I don't. That's a skill that my bosses have no business knowing about. Who on earth would want a job that required you to type 110 wpm?

I did do some medical transcription on the side a few years back. Paid 8 cents a word (5 characters). I made enough money in a month to buy a whole new living room full of furniture!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Me too, except strenghtned on a 1980's Brother portable manual with the letters that flopped up and smacked the ribbon. If you wanted BOLD, then you had to back up and re-smack it a few times.

I can type well over 100 wpm, but I don't. That's a skill that my bosses have no business knowing about. Who on earth would want a job that required you to type 110 wpm?

I did do some medical transcription on the side a few years back. Paid 8 cents a word (5 characters). I made enough money in a month to buy a whole new living room full of furniture!

So that means you're "a more than 5 fingers/thumbs" lass ?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
GeoffC

Someone is not owning up to their method of typing !!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
So that means you're "a more than 5 fingers/thumbs" lass ?
Sometimes also elbows, and occasionally nose when I fell asleep and my head hit the keyboard. You have to put in a lot of late nites and bang a lot of keys to make a couple thou in a month at 8 cents per word.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
GeoffC

Quote:
Sometimes also elbows, and occasionally nose when I fell asleep and my head hit the keyboard. You have to put in a lot of late nites and bang a lot of keys to make a couple thou in a month at 8 cents per word.
that's why you spend so much time on here ....
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
that's why you spend so much time on here ....
I can type like the Road Runner! Beep beep. Zip Tang!

(The elbows and nose are also why I voted for BOTH touch typing and "other.")
Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Me too! And I had an old (it was old even then) Royal back in the day--it must have weighed 30 pounds!

I could only do 40-50 WPM, though, about the same as now on a computer.

Edit: I found a picture of my old typewriter!!!

Last edited by KindleDude; 03-19-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added picture
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
Me too! And I had an old (it was old even then) Royal back in the day--it must have weighed 30 pounds!

I could only do 40-50 WPM, though, about the same as now on a computer.

Edit: I found a picture of my old typewriter!!!

]
Glorious photo! I sometimes miss the sound of the letters smacking the ribbon, instead of plastic tapping on a keyboard. My little portable was bright harvest gold, seeing as how that and olive green were fashionable colors when it was new.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I took a touch typing class many years ago in high school and it was an excruciating experience. I clearly had no ability or interest in learning the skill and only passed the course by the skin of my teeth. I still can't type the number keys without looking, but did finally manage to pick up some speed as an adult. Have to say it was worth learning as I type nearly every day.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Great photo. It was incredibly frustrating when the red and black ink ribbons got tangled up -- or was that just me?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Glorious photo! I sometimes miss the sound of the letters smacking the ribbon, instead of plastic tapping on a keyboard.
Yeah, and the pressure you had to use on the keys. Whole different experience.

At the time I got rid of that beast, I was glad. Now looking at the picture, I feel a bit...wistful.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote