Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
I'm not asking you or anyone for help, thanks. Just giving some assistance to the OP, unlike others here.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I use Moonreader too. It may prompt you to get dictionaries when you first try to look up a word, and then dump you into the Amazon eco system. And from there of course you can't do anything. I ended up solving the problem by copying the dictionary related folder from my android installation of Moonreader into a corresponding folder location on my Fire. Next time I tried to look up a word on the Fire, Moonreader found it and no longer tried to go to Amazon.

Caution: I have no idea if that was the "right" thing to do. Made it up myself, but so far it's working fine for me. I'd give you more specifics but it was a few months ago I did it and can no longer remember exactly. But definitely no rocket science involved.
I do this with every new device. You can copy the DictData folder from a previous installation of ColorDict and it will install all dictionaries in that folder in the new Colordict when you first open the ColorDict app it will say it's Indexing the dictionaries. I have multiple dictionaries I use with Colordict so this is the best method for me than to reinstall them all again one by one.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-04-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
That comment was certainly unnecessary.
Agreed the reason for this forum is to help other users with their Fire devices. Let's be helpful and nice to others who many not be as familiar with technical issues and methods of information.

I didn't even know there was a new fire out. It's good to know the same method works and Amazon hasn't tried closing that loophole.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #19
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I believe we strayed a bit due to my mention of moonreader.

However some info on the install of Google Play and associated files on a generation 8 Fire HD 8" OS 6.3.0.1 (latest from Amazon)
Download of all files from:

https://www.xda-developers.com/amazo...le-play-store/

All went well. At first file install I got a message from the OS that file was not compatible but it installed. I installed them in the sequence shown. The The Play Store app appeared on the desktop. However the Google store would not allow me to sign in. I rebooted the Fire. Same result, the store does not allow me to sign in. Tried many times. I'm sure I entered the correct username and password. Now an interesting item. Google sent me an email saying I signed into their store using my new Amazon Fire 8"HD however I can not get pass their sign in page. I deleted the Play Store file (4th in sequence) and reinstalled. Same results. Oh, well...
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #20
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bit more information. After doing the above I inserted a 256gb SD card. Fire formatted the card and copied the dowloaded files into the Download Directory of the card automatically. When the Fire is connected to a Windows 10 PC you cannot see the Fire memory, only the SD card. Also the app ES File Explorer will only show the contents of the SD card.
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post

All went well. At first file install I got a message from the OS that file was not compatible but it installed. I installed them in the sequence shown. The The Play Store app appeared on the desktop. However the Google store would not allow me to sign in. I rebooted the Fire. Same result, the store does not allow me to sign in. Tried many times. I'm sure I entered the correct username and password. Now an interesting item. Google sent me an email saying I signed into their store using my new Amazon Fire 8"HD however I can not get pass their sign in page. I deleted the Play Store file (4th in sequence) and reinstalled. Same results. Oh, well...
I had this problem on my Alcatel phone when I got it. I'm trying to think what I did to fix it. I think you need an another device and a notification will show up on that device asking if you just signed in, you then choose the option that says yes this is me and the new device signs in. You might try that.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #22
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I had this problem on my Alcatel phone when I got it. I'm trying to think what I did to fix it. I think you need an another device and a notification will show up on that device asking if you just signed in, you then choose the option that says yes this is me and the new device signs in. You might try that.
Will try again. I got the notification mentioned above on my android phone in gmail. I answered “Yes.”
Old 11-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #23
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the xda link says the files are for the latest fire tablet running nougat i.e. for am amazon OS7 version. and the 1st file has a 7 in the name so that is for android 7
but you say you have a device running OS 6.3 so you will need files for android 6.
its no good ignoring the " not compatible for this OS message) i suggest you get a set of 7th gen files instead and try those. or go to apkmirror and file an older version of the incompatible one
the 256k sd card is a separate issue and trying to fix both at once will be confusing
does the device still work in that apps on main memory () amazon apps) all still work, and if yo look at storage in settings does it show both sets of free storage.
you may somehow have mounted the card to be used INSTEAD Of internal memory though I did not know that was possible ?
me: I'd take out(unmount) the card, so a soft reset: hold down power button for 40 secs ignoring messages until it shuts down, then restart, delete all google apps and then start over with a different set.
once those are done I'd go back to the SD card puzzle. what make of card is it and how exactly did you add it ?
|FYI from my notes, when I did a 2017 HD8:
download the 4 APK files below using the stock web browser, SILK and install them in that same order, then REBOOT your tablet and afterwards open up the Google Play Store and log in with your Google account:

1. Google Account Manager 5.1-1743759
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/

2. Google Services Framework 5.1-1743759

3. Google Play Services 10.2.98 (230-146496160)

Quote:
NOTE (3): If you have a Fire HD 8 2017 (7th Generation) use this APK below instead of the above.

3. Google Play Services 10.2.98 (240-146496160)
4. Google Play Store 7.4.25.L-all [0] [PR] 145823605

Over time the Google Play Store and Google Play Services apps will auto update themselves in the background.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:43 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ps . when I have worked on this fro various tablets, i found that different sites presented a different sequence for installing the 4 apps. they all seem to agree that you do play store LAST. the store will not work without a google account so google account manager has to have installed ok
i have always done google account manager first, then a reboot.
if you think to have somehow messed up madly, then a factory reset of the fire will remove all your changes and let you start again, squeaky clean

all the google apps will eventually self update, so starting with " too old" versions is ok so long as they install
the notification on other device confirms that google has seen an attempted sign in, but does not necessarily confirm that it worked

i do also recall that the play store can hang 1st time around, like it needs to be on line for 10 minutes before it begins to work. but that is a one time thing
Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard

2 more thoughts, then I will leave it for others to join in and you to feedback
1. are u sure you actually have an 8th gen , and not a 7th gen, how are you determining that ? because if you have OS6.3 and the 8th gen has OS7 then something does not compute

2. the card issue is worth re-raising in its own thread. it is just possible that what you see is by design i.e. if the max addressible memory is 256 and you insert a 256 card, maybe the tablet switches off the internal memory and uses the card as if it was internal. pure speculation here. as you bought the tablet ( and maybe the card also) from amazon you could email or chat to amazon support ( make no mention of the google stuff) and say when I put in the card, the fire formatted it and then my internal storage vanished. they may have an explanation or a fix
Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #26
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
2 more thoughts, then I will leave it for others to join in and you to feedback
1. are u sure you actually have an 8th gen , and not a 7th gen, how are you determining that ? because if you have OS6.3 and the 8th gen has OS7 then something does not compute

2. the card issue is worth re-raising in its own thread. it is just possible that what you see is by design i.e. if the max addressible memory is 256 and you insert a 256 card, maybe the tablet switches off the internal memory and uses the card as if it was internal. pure speculation here. as you bought the tablet ( and maybe the card also) from amazon you could email or chat to amazon support ( make no mention of the google stuff) and say when I put in the card, the fire formatted it and then my internal storage vanished. they may have an explanation or a fix
Settings > Device Options > System Updates > "Your device is running Fire OS 6.3.0.1"
Settings > Device Options > About Fire Tablet > "Device Model Fire HD 8 (8th Generation)"

As I said in my original post "Just received the new 8" HD Fire tablet. 8th generation! I can find no videos, instructions or files for installing Google Play on this new generation from Amazon. I'm afraid to try the 7th generation files."

The tablet is still working fine in all other ways. I can delete the downloaded and installed 7th gen files with no problem.

Yes, the SD card is another topic it was inserted in my Fire AFTER the Play files installed and run. Instructions say this tablet can handle a card up to 400gb but I will not pursue that any further here.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #27
stumped
Wizard

Ok, so it is all working, for Google store now?
Maybe fire os 7 is only rolled out in some regions or on some devices.or maybe the xda article is misleading I know that the very latest fire cube and fire TV stick has it.
My 2017 tablets have that same fire os 6.3 and I put Google on those ok, a brief and a hd10
Old 11-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #28
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Ok, so it is all working, for Google store now?
Maybe fire os 7 is only rolled out in some regions or on some devices.or maybe the xda article is misleading I know that the very latest fire cube and fire TV stick has it.
My 2017 tablets have that same fire os 6.3 and I put Google on those ok, a brief and a hd10
No, Google Play did NOT work. Files were uninstalled and deleted. Tablet is working fine in all other ways. When I see files specifically for Gen 8 and OS 6 I will try again.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #29
stumped
Wizard

ok - "generation" is actually irrelevant. It's a marketing term. What matters is that you use apps that are compatible with your operating system ,which is fire OS 6.3
my very last word: that XDA article is a mess - it refers to OS6 as being based on Nougat
everywhere else you see android 6 = marshmallow, 7 = nougat

e.g.https://en.droidwiki.org/wiki/List_o...n_names#Nougat

Lollipop

Marshmallow

The android version 6.0, announced at 17th of august in 2015 is called after the sweet Marshmallow.

Nougat

Android 7, also called Android N, officialy got the name Nougat.

Oreo

Android 8, also called Android O, carries the name Oreo, which are two crispy chocolate cookies with a vanilla cream center.

that's all from me, expect to offer a different google search result:
https://www.techjunkie.com/install-g...n-fire-tablet/

Last edited by stumped; 11-05-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Nougat allows the SD card to become internal memory. If it was based off of Nougat which my phone has then you will only see it as one in a file explorer app. In settings under storage on Android 7 there a option to choose however I think once you do that the SD card becomes useless to any other device. However as Stump said 6.3 is based off Marshmallow not Nougat. I believe that what both my fires have and they are 2014 and 2017 editions.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk