Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Scribd - Unlimited again

Scribd.com is going back to the Unlimited model, after 2 years on a credit system! This appears to include audibooks. This appears to me to be a result of Audible's unlimited package. I have been using the heck out of Audible since the day it went live. $6.95 for all I can listen is phenomenal. Not sure I can justify a second subscription, as I have hundreds in my Audible wish list. But I will be browsing!

Scribd.com

Membership Details
Access an unlimited* number of books, audiobooks, magazines, and more — all for only $8.99/month.

Scribd’s Quest To Be “The Netflix Of Reading” Is Finally Paying Off

Quote:
Curtailing its original unlimited plan bought Scribd breathing room to work on a better strategy. It’s once again calling the service unlimited—with an asterisk. In the textual equivalent of a wireless carrier offering unlimited data but throttling speeds for bandwidth hogs, people who read a very high number of books (which Adler won’t specify, saying that it’s still subject to tweaking) in a given month will get access to a smaller selection of titles until the next billing cycle begins. This will affect up to 8% of readers.

Last edited by booklover6; 03-11-2018 at 11:07 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I expect I'll sign up for the free trial, at least. I know I had a trial membership way back, when they offered unlimited audiobooks, but I don't remember how it worked.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
ddockery
ddockery began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone using this on an e-ink device? Curious how well it works. Considering the Icarus Illumina XL HD, but can't find much about how Scribd works with it.

Last edited by ddockery; 02-06-2018 at 02:51 PM.
ddockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have scribd. I'm just so excited to see this! I didn't like Audible Romance Package too many gaps in series.
I've been using scribds' credit system for awhile but now it's gone I can just listen to anything I was saving up for. This is great!

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blossom I'm interested to hear what your experience is in the coming months. How many you listen to in Feb and March, and if you run up against any restrictions.
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

FYI I was offered a 30 day free trial, even though I had been a paying member in the past. I took them up on it.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Scribd has several titles on my wish list. I may do the free trial after finishing my latest read.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I didn't like Audible Romance Package too many gaps in series.
I hadn't noticed this until now. Scribd has a ton from various series I am interested in that Audible Package is missing. Might be worth while for me to keep Scribd instead.

Last edited by booklover6; 02-08-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I have details!

Started free trial Feb 07.

Have listened to 3 complete titles.

Have 2 titles downloaded but only started one.

Having compulsively and obsessively been going over the books in the web site, I can say for a FACT that MANY books in my saved list (and unsaved also), all of a sudden are topped with a small banner that says "AVAILABLE SOON."

For example just this morning I made a note of some Amanda Quick titles that were listed. Now every single audiobook by her in the catalog has the banner.

Going to a completely different genre, I look up John Sandford, and 7 out of 49 audiobooks can be listened to now, the rest are "available soon."

So I have been throttled already.

What shows up for me in the searches has also changed. It doesn't show any of the "available now" titles. I have to search by author to find them. For example, Carla Neggars, in search, I see an ebook, and no audiobooks. Selecting sort by audiobooks, none. I click on her name, and there are 24. None available to me now. They were the other day.

Last edited by booklover6; 02-16-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
So I have been throttled already.
Shame on you for listening to 4 audiobooks. You're abusing the system
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Right? I am a little stunned that I ran into this so soon.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for sharing! So your limit was five? You still have access to the 2 you downloaded?

I'm not too surprised. My theory was that the limits will be somewhere around the credits you used to be allowed to accumulate. Those were 3 audiobooks and 9 ebooks.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I am listening to one and have another downloaded, with wifi off. Nothing on the web site changed until I connected today once I'd finished #3 and downloaded #4. I will listen to the two downloaded before I connect again! I will report after that. I hope I can get one more this month.

Though to be fair, there are plenty of available books. It's just that I seem to be restricted from a lot of titles. I wonder when the limits end, by month or by subscription date? I'll keep track.

ETA -

It looks like everything I had in my Saved list is still available. (If true, then I have a hundred or more LOL).

I added a new title to my saved list, and it says it will be available to me on 3/07/18, my date of service.

Last edited by booklover6; 02-16-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Right? I am a little stunned that I ran into this so soon.
I love how unlimited really means limited

Do you plan on sticking with them?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Are you going to continue after your free trial? I wonder if the limits will be the same then.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote