Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
greens
Connoisseur
greens began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you had only few minutes to choose between aura one and h2o?

what would you choose between aura one and h2o if you had only few minutes to choose? is it better battery life or one inch more? comfort?
I'm going to the shop now and I wish to listen the last advice before the final fight! XD
thanks so much!
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Bigger screen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The Aura One, bigger screen, overdrive support, comfort light, lighter weight, etc.

Even the new H2O releasing later this month wont sway me from the One.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
H2O, smaller, cheaper, rumors are that the screen is actually better, light too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Yes, I'll second the rumor. Screen on the H20 is better. *much* better if using natural light instead of backlight. Battery life if twice as long, and can be expanded to large storage with SD card, (though you might have to stick with older firmware for that, but hey, older firmware was pretty solid,, no need to upgrade unless you want to alpha test Kobo's latest bugs.)

The only real negative is the cover needed to maintain Waterproofing. I broke mine off in less than a year. And gods have mercy on your pocket book if it's not fitted on tightly when you take your Kobo for a swim.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
H2O. The Aura One is too expensive, too big for my use (I read a lot while on public transportation, and the few comics I read are in manga format) and I dislike capacitive touchscreens on e-readers.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
It depends on your sight and what you read ... ka1
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
I have an Aura 6"; if I was buying a new device it would be the Aura One for the flush screen and the bigger size (even though I am pretty frugal) .

But I would still use the Aura for travel!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
unless you want the bigger screen which i don't, i wouldn't need minutes only seconds, the H2O imho as a clearer sharper screen, longer battery life between charges and it also as my beloved external micro SD card slot, which maybe very useful for you one day even if you don't realize it now.

choose wisely

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Battery life if twice as long, and can be expanded to large storage with SD card, (though you might have to stick with older firmware for that, but hey, older firmware was pretty solid,, no need to upgrade unless you want to alpha test Kobo's latest bugs.)
Nope, later firmwares worked fine with the microSD card in my H2O.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
I vote H2O.

Good things about the H2O:
  • Travel friendly design - the bezel is raised above the screen. This means that with the reader enclosed in its sleep cover, anything squeezing up against the reader will only put pressure on the bezel - the screen itself won't be touched at all, most of the time. This makes me feel much more confident traveling with the H2O, especially when my bag is tightly packed.
  • Waterproof flap also protects against dust: on a similar travel-friendly level, the microSD slot and micro USB socket are covered (on the 1st edition) with a flap. While the durability of the flap may be a concern, it does offer the advantage of protecting against dust and other bits that may get stuck.
  • The screen is more responsive and accurate.

Bad things about the Aura One:
  • Uneven, distracting "natural light" setting. I love the idea of reducing the amount of blue light coming from the screen. But not with green blobs at the bottom of the screen. Some people report not having these green patches of colour, but it seems like such a common problem to put me off bothering dealing with Kobo's customer service and waiting for the multiple replacements I'd need to finally get one with a consistent and even "natural" light setting.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
One: the bigger screen and natural light.
H2O: IR Touch screen
H2Ov2: IR Touch screen and natural light

In the end I think I'd still go for the One because of the bigger screen.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Nope, later firmwares worked fine with the microSD card in my H2O.

But not everyone has had the same experience. There is definitely an issue with SD cards and the current firmware it's just not a widespread one
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I bought a KA1 and H2O back in January and sold the H2O.

I prefer the KA1 for reasons already stated above -- bigger screen, flush screen, more comfortable holding (i.e., lighter weight and thinner), Overdrive support, and the night light feature.

Yes, I give up some battery life, but that isn't a big deal for me because I'm near electricity or a backup battery charger all the time.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I would probably stick with the H2O. It's what I know, I love it, and it fits perfectly in my inside jacket pockets.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote