Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
EdStout
EdStout began at the beginning.

Device: Mac, iPad
Lightbulb Viewer window -- small suggestion

When viewing a book in Calibre, the View window remembers the latest reading position within the book (nice), but each time a book is opened, the window size and position apparently go back to their defaults.

It would really be nice if the program could save the viewing window's size (at least) and position whenever they change along with the other data about the book being viewed. That way, once a window has been carefully sized to show illustrations or larger fonts (for example), that effort will be preserved and not have to be re-done each time the book is re-opened.

Regards,
Ed
EdStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Ed, welcome to the forum.

What you're requesting is already there ... tucked away in the innards of calibre.

While in the Viewer, click on Preferences (the icon with the 3 small gears):

Preferences > General Tab > Miscellaneous options > Remember last used window size and layout.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
EdStout
EdStout began at the beginning.

Device: Mac, iPad
Thank you Marty. Your solution is very close to what I wanted -- but that Preference saves the window position and size for the current book to be re-used for all following book openings.

Thus, if you open book A (a textbook, for example), set its desired size and placement, close it, then open book B (a novel, for example), set its desired size and placement, close it, and then finally re-open Book A -- it opens with book B's preference.

It's a minor nag, I'll admit, and probably tough to implement. You'd have to remember size/position for each changed book and separately remember the most recent size/position for the window as well. Then, when opening a book, use the window's most recent stats unless the book being opened has its own requirements.

Regards,
Ed
EdStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdStout View Post
Your solution is very close to what I wanted . ..
Now that I understand what you want, the setting that I mentioned misses by a mile ... not really close at all.

I use the Viewer to see what calibre tweaks are needed to get a book ready for its final destination on a mobile eReader. However, if the Viewer was my primary reader, your suggestion would be a nice convenience ... good idea.

Regards,
Marty

Last edited by MartyTX; 06-10-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: correct a typo!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestion, viewer