Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Post Memory Upgrade Mod Guide (With Pictures)

Hello! Welcome to my Kobo Glo Memory Upgrade Guide!

I'm going to show you how I upgraded the internal memory to my KoboGlo!
The pictures aren't from when I actually did it, but have been recreated for this guide but that doesn't change how awesome it is! They will all be in the second post in this thread.

I will include all links to where I got this information on the 3rd post in this thread. I found most of it here within this forum, which is why I'm posting this guide here.

Is it worth it?: If you're asking yourself this, it probably isn't worth it. It already has an external slot while giving you access to an internal slot. It's illogical at best given that no one has 64 gigs of ebooks, and if you did it would probably explode the Kobo when all the storage is full. Or at least just be VERY slow.

That being said, the people coming here already want to do this and don't need or even want someone else telling them why they should void their warranty!

Given that I was opening this up, I went all out and put a class 10 32 gig microsd card
into it! I figure the faster and the bigger the better! (well maybe not bigger in this case)

First things first, might as well collect the software needed for this.
I will amend this guide in future to include the known linux commands, as well as to test them from terminal in Mac (Lion).
This is all free 3rd party software I have NOTHING to do with. Worked for me, but use at your own risk.

Partition software:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html
"Free Partition Software - MiniTool® Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8"

These two tools are standalone and require no installation:
For ripping images from the SD Card:
https://www.vconsole.com/download
"Flash Drive Image Creator"

For writing images to the SD Card:
"Flash Drive Image Writer"

Make sure your Kobo is FULLY off and not just in sleep mod. So long slide over and hold till it's powered down.

Step 1. Opening your Glo:
I used a bus pass, any thin card will do.

I pushed at the Kobo first where the back and outer casing meet, parallel to the device, with a card right between the LED and the light button. I did this because of that single clip you can see in the picture below.
Once I got under the lip of the back case, I then pried the outer case out while pushing the card to be perpendicular to the Kobo. This separates the back from the top. You'll have to repeat at the right side of the top.

Once you have done this there should be a visible separation at the top. Pick a side, left or right, and work the card in again right at the top corner on the long side this time. Again go from parallel to perpendicular with the card and push it down this time, so the card is against the inside side and front. Slide the card down like you're swiping an actual magnetic strip reader (like your bank card). Do so gently!

This should free one side, one corner completely.

Repeat this exact process on the other side of the case. I'm right handed so I did the right side first without thinking.

Now you can get to the bottom where you will take it off similar to the top, basically not sliding the card past the port.

Now you have done the hardest part which is removing the back!

You'll be amazed to see a simple microSD card slot. So crazy!
My card came with a white dot, I assume they all do from the factory. I think it possibly is a moisture detection or just to mark their own sd cards.

Step 2. Copying the SD Card:
Make sure your Kobo is FULLY off, AGAIN. So long slide over and hold till it's powered down. Just in the event you turned it on opening the case without noticing.

Now slide the SD card out very carefully.
Load it up in your PC.
Ignore/dismiss ALL prompts. DON'T format it.
Once you dismiss everything that pops up when you added the SD card, you use your "Flash Drive Image Creator" you downloaded to clone the SD card. To do this, run the program selecting the SD card as well as setting an output location. The desktop will do if it's temporary. C:\KoboSD\ will work great if it's to be kept as a backup. Make certain you select Entire Disk for what to backup.

Remove the old MicroSD card. You are completely done with it from this point forward. I'd suggest putting it into a plastic bag in the original Kobo box for safe keeping.

Place your new MicroSD card into your computer. Again dismiss any prompts that popup.

Next, open up "Flash Drive Image Writer". Here you will select the .img file you just created from the Creator program. Either from C:\KoboSD\ or the desktop. Also select your destination drive. Click Write Image. Read the prompt and click yes if you want to format the destination SD and continue.

You’ve now completely cloned the original SD Card.

Step 3. Setting up the new SD Card:
Next load up “MiniTool® Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8”.
In the main area (top half), select your newly setup SD card. To verify you have the right drive, it should be set up as follows, or something close: (Unallocated) 10MB, rootfs(EXT4) 256 MB..., recoveryfs(EXT4) 256MB.., KOBOeReader (FAT32) 1.33 GB.., (Unallocated) [however big the rest of your sd card is. 5.9GB for the 8GB card in the pictures].
Select the KOBOeReader drive (either in the upper or lower half).
Right click it and select Extend.
From here move the slider all the way to the right. You should see a total of both the unallocated space and the KOBOeReader partition. In the case of my pictures, it’s 7.19GB for the 8GB sd card.
You’ll see at the bottom of this window that the new size of Unallocated will be 0.00KB, that’s how you know you’ve done it right. Click OK.
Verify that the unallocated space at the end of the SD card is no longer there and that the KOBOeReader partition is taking up the bulk of the SD card.
Click Apply in the upper left of the application and yes to the prompt AFTER reading it ;-)
It will go through it’s process. It hangs a bit at the end, that’s normal. Click OK once it’s done.

Step 4. Reinstall SD Card, Finishing up!
Just re-insert the MicroSD card into its slot in the Kobo Glo. From there, just pop the case back on making certain which way is up. The bottom only has 1 gap in the middle for the USB port and the top has a gap along most of the one side with the LED and two buttons. Once it’s fully snapped together, power on your new beast!

You’re complete!
Everything should be perfect now!

After everything was A-OK, I placed my original 2gig MicroSD card into a bag and put it back into the original box for safe keeping. That way I know if I need I always have a clean untouched SD card to replace my big one if anything goes wrong. So far it's not been needed! This also means that the backup on your computer is a duplicate backup.

Last edited by Gergith; 10-06-2020 at 11:40 AM. Reason: updated download links
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's needed!

Spoiler:

Here is where you start to open:

First work a card in parallel to the unit:

Then slowly angle it vertical to separate the back from the top:

Repeat the same process on the other end of the top:

After doing the same thing to the right side, here are all the clips circled (same on either side):

Here's a picture of how you can slide the card down each side like a credit card slowly:

Here is a better view of the clips at the top, the one where you start in particular:

Here are the clip locations on the bottom:

Here is the stock MicroSD Card:

Here it's removed!:

Select the original MicroSD card and where you want to save your image. Also select Entire Drive:

Select the image you just created and your new larger MicroSD Card

Find your newly setup MicroSD Card

Select the KOBOeReader partition, right click it and click Expand:

Slide the bar far to the right and click OK:

Should be complete with the removed Unallocated at the right side.

Hit Apply!:

Place the new MicroSD card into your Kobo and seal it up!:

Here is the Details screen from my Kobo showing the new total size!:

Here is where I placed the original MicroSD card:

Hope those help!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-29-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Guideline violation fix.
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Gergith
Enthusiast

FAQ:
How do I do a factory reset?
From the menus: Go into your settings → Device Information → Factory Reset
From the device if it’s frozen (Not recommended unless required:
“- Slide the On/off slider for enough seconds to be sure the device is off
- Press and hold down the light button
- Slide the on/off slider once as if you were switching it on, whilst still holding the light button”

Do I have to resize the partition on my computer?
Yes, the Kobo Glo itself cannot resize the partitions, only format the entire card.

Do I have to use PC?
No, there are other methods for doing this from Linux, which SHOULD also work from OS X seeing as it’s *nix based.

How can I use that extra 10MB at the beginning of the MicroSD card?
You can't! (See post #5 here!)
You CAN get a bit more space out of the partition you just resized. Apparently the format tool within the Kobo is more efficient/better then the one I told you to download
The only way I have done so far is to do a factory reset AFTER everything else. It allowed me to go from 29984MB → 29998MB total space.

Links:
For the reset information:
Thanks to Mrs_Often and Taming
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=19
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...98&postcount=4

For the initial idea & Teardown pics:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193321
Extra information:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=199779

The MicroSD Card I used for reference (Not required):
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10166450.aspx

This is where I found the software itself that I used:
Thanks to Koboyashi for the flash drive software
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=15
Thanks to Psi for the Partition software
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=16

Links to the software again:
"Free Partition Software - MiniTool® Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8" - Partition software:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

"Flash Drive Image Creator" - For ripping images from the SD Card:

"Flash Drive Image Writer" - For writing images to the SD Card:

For instructions on how to do this on a *nix machine:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194206

Calibre (Not required, this is what I use for syncing ebooks):
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Go here for this visual guide with full size pictures hosted by me:
http://gergith.com/kobohack/

Last edited by Gergith; 10-06-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Updating links for downloads
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Class of the original sd card on the Glo

Can you tell us what class the original Sd Card is and the Class of the 32 gig card you installed?

Thanks
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
How can I use that extra 10MB at the beginning of the MicroSD card?
The only way I have done so far is to do a factory reset AFTER everything else. It allowed me to go from 29984MB → 29998MB total space.
The factory reset doesn't use the 10Mb at the beginning of the card. What is probably hapenning is when the partition is formatted during factory reset the mkfs.vfat tool is able to get more usable space from the enlarged partition than the partition extension tool could. The same thing happens when I reformat a USB stick partition from Linux that was originally formatted from Windows, the usable space on the partition increases a little bit.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Can you tell us what class the original Sd Card is and the Class of the 32 gig card you installed?

Thanks
mine was a class 10, I linked to the exact one in the links/third post.

I'm not certain about the stock one. It doesn't say physically on it, and I don't know how to find out otherwise.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The factory reset doesn't use the 10Mb at the beginning of the card. What is probably hapenning is when the partition is formatted during factory reset the mkfs.vfat tool is able to get more usable space from the enlarged partition than the partition extension tool could. The same thing happens when I reformat a USB stick partition from Linux that was originally formatted from Windows, the usable space on the partition increases a little bit.
Cool cool Thanks! I'll update my post right now
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
Do I have to use PC?
No, there are other methods for doing this from Linux, which SHOULD also work from OS X seeing as it’s *nix based.
Yes, works on OS X. You might have to install a Linux file system tool though. You can use the Terminal, but there are also disk cloning softwares available. Mac's native DiskUtility software can expand partitions (and can probably also do the cloning once you have the Linux files system tool).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yes, works on OS X. You might have to install a Linux file system tool though. You can use the Terminal, but there are also disk cloning softwares available. Mac's native DiskUtility software can expand partitions (and can probably also do the cloning once you have the Linux files system tool).

That's what I figured but I still hadn't tested it. Especially given that OS X is simply Darwin *nix.

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

Thank you for your very detailed tutorial.

I just add two "issues":
1) my sandisk class 10 wasn't recognised by vconsole (XP says it is raw). I used win32diskimager which recognized the removable device.
2) I noticed after closing that the external sdcard slot had moved a bit, making the in and out less easy

As for the speed up process of loading books, I haven't noticed any change.

Thanks again for this great job.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi,

Thank you for your very detailed tutorial.

I just add two "issues":
1) my sandisk class 10 wasn't recognised by vconsole (XP says it is raw). I used win32diskimager which recognized the removable device.
2) I noticed after closing that the external sdcard slot had moved a bit, making the in and out less easy

As for the speed up process of loading books, I haven't noticed any change.

Thanks again for this great job.

François
Cool; That's interesting regarding point 1).

I'll add that as an alternative in the FAQ and test it out myself.

2) What you mean about this in terms of the slot moving? like the entire slot shifted along the board? or did it shift out/in?

Which direction did it shift, if you put the card in the left?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi Gergith

Quote:
2) What you mean about this in terms of the slot moving? like the entire slot shifted along the board? or did it shift out/in?
Sorry I wasn't very clear.
Before opening the Kobo, my external sdcard used to fit in and out nicely. I can't really understand in which direction something is not aligned anymore, but the spring to let in or out the card seems to block a bit on a side...

It is weird because the front case it really tightly griped to the back...

Thank you again for the level of details of your tutorial.

Hope I will see more tips of yours around.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi Gergith

Sorry I wasn't very clear.
Before opening the Kobo, my external sdcard used to fit in and out nicely. I can't really understand in which direction something is not aligned anymore, but the spring to let in or out the card seems to block a bit on a side...

It is weird because the front case it really tightly griped to the back...

Thank you again for the level of details of your tutorial.

Hope I will see more tips of yours around.

François
I've noticed my power slider on ODD occasion, when I drop it, will stop working until i press the top of the case downwards.

I didn't realize at first you were talking about the external SD Card Slot.

Since throwing in a 32 gig in my internal, i haven't given the external slot a second thought. I always thought it was an imperfect solution.

I suppose it's very possible to do a bit of damage to the housing that the external SD card goes into. On my own personal unit I don't notice the issue you speak of upon testing it now but, as I said earlier, I have noticed marginal issues around the slider for power/sleep.

This is why I warn everyone that you REALLY shouldn't do this This isn't a case that has serviceable parts, nor was the case even designed to be serviceable easily with tools, hence having to almost break it open attempting to access hidden INTERNAL clips to get the back off, instead of 4 screws. (also 4 screws were probably more expensive in terms of design costs, materials and raw labour Like how DELL switched away from screws in all their pc cases
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

****warning**** pop up windows original kobo memory cards

When you do this upgrade a window will pop up informing you that the original kobo memory card needs to be formatted, do not format this card!!!. This msg is due to the fact that the active partion of your original kobo memory card is not windows compatible. Make sure you dismiss the msg so that you do not accidently format your kobo memory card or you will be looking to download a new image. Again pay attention to the message that pops up so that you don't accidently format your original kobo memory card when you do this upgrade.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Just Completed the upgrade and was very happy with the result. The kobo recognizes both the upgraded memory and the external memory giving the device a total of 48 gigs of memory, the external card is 16 gigs and the internal card is now 32 gigs. The memory is class 10 for both int and ext memory. Both memory cards are Lexar memory. The 32 gig is on sale at Staples for 24.95, it includes a usb memory reader for the card as well. The regular price of the card is 69.95$ca

http://www.staples.ca/en/Lexar-32GB-...6_2-CA_1_20001

Just for a heads up this is available in Canada and is on sale currently (April 10, 2013). I do not know the price of the memory any where else.

Regards

Jack

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard