Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #16
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even on a generic Android eInk device I owned (Onyx T68), which did have more RAM, it really wasn't great. Definitely not something I'd choose to use to browse the web!
Granted, it is not ideal. But, low cost Boox devices seem to refresh images too much. That refresh is removed on the simple touch, but the response looks slow.

The yotaphone 2 is decent to browse the net. It has an eink screen, quad core cpu and 2gb of ram. Unfortunately they are plagued by early screen deaths.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-08-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I was able to use my inkbook Obsidian to browse text-only sites very effectively. But images were a completely different story.

Modern websites are built around complex layouts, images/video and lots of user interaction. eInk isn't great at any of those.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #18
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I was able to use my inkbook Obsidian to browse text-only sites very effectively. But images were a completely different story.

Modern websites are built around complex layouts, images/video and lots of user interaction. eInk isn't great at any of those.
Ereaders maybe not, but I think the Paperlike Pro (eink monitor) looks very usable.

But the questionable lifespan of a continually used eink device makes the price high.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #19
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Another downside of the Nook Simple Touch is presumably that it lacks partial refresh(?), and therefore typing will be a blur, besides responding slowly.

Now I realize that my desired device will arrive in the same manner as this Nook. By a hack.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #20
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I have a Nook ST with A2 hack. The mode works well but breaks often. It is nice to browse a text only simple page like the mobile mobileread pages and wiki. Not for anything much else. Also the only brower that works is a very old opera mini. Very limited basically.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #21
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I have a Nook ST with A2 hack. The mode works well but breaks often. It is nice to browse a text only simple page like the mobile mobileread pages and wiki. Not for anything much else. Also the only brower that works is a very old opera mini. Very limited basically.
Is it too slow when viewing images? Or JavaScript?

I wonder how it compares to the new low end boox devices. I found a video of the c67ml browsing the web. The search continues...
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #22
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Incidentally, there is a crowd funded dual screen phone called the Siam, but it received a rather bad review relating to the Eink screen; and there are no decent videos of it.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #23
Waiting4somethin
Addict

From Goodereader.com:

“The [Icarus] XL HD has a number of hidden features that make it easy to use. It has an A2 mode that allows you to quickly use apps that employ animations or to scroll around on the internet. A2 mode basically degrades image quality to increase performance.”

I have posted a comment on the page asking them to make a video of internet browsing.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-24-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 AM   #24
Waiting4somethin
Addict

I bought a Nook Simple Touch. It is able to scroll smoothly in PDF, similar to a yotaphone. On the other hand, browsing has been a bit harder to setup. The norefresh app is unstable, at least in the latest firmware. I’m yet to try older variations, or the norefresh kernel.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:27 AM   #25
Waiting4somethin
Addict

This video shows (later in video) the C67ML browsing in a2 mode

https://youtu.be/n3zkdheFGh8
Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #26
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I bought a Nook Simple Touch. It is able to scroll smoothly in PDF, similar to a yotaphone. On the other hand, browsing has been a bit harder to setup. The norefresh app is unstable, at least in the latest firmware. I’m yet to try older variations, or the norefresh kernel.
You can set it up so the notifications icon at the top can be used to re-activate the norefresh app easily.

I think the norefresh app was originally developed for a Sony T1/2. I think it was more stable. I might try it as I have an old T2.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-26-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even on a generic Android eInk device I owned (Onyx T68), which did have more RAM, it really wasn't great. Definitely not something I'd choose to use to browse the web!
The T68 was horrble. Very slow and the screen was very inaccurate. It was the prototype really. Presumably later versions are much better. I would get another Onyx if the problems have been fixed. But I do think relaunchx on a Nook ST is the best I've used, and faster and more sensitive than a T68.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #28
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
This video shows (later in video) the C67ML browsing in a2 mode

https://youtu.be/n3zkdheFGh8
The text is very small and zooming is a pain. Landscape mode will make it more usable. But I would want a bigger screen. Even 6.8 is better. Really I think about 9.7" in landscape is the smallest size for practical browsing without zooming.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-26-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #29
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Yes Panjaman, I have it setup to change the refresh easily, and so the contrast buttons appear as a visual indicator that is has worked, because it doesn’t always work. However, it always resets when entering an address, for me at least, which I find a bit restraining given the slowness of the loading in general, and as you say screen size.

The pdf experience of ebookdroid on nook is close to perfect for me, it scrolls like a tablet. Only marginally slower response than yotaphone. Perhaps it’s the type of material I read, but I find scrolling to be the best method for reading, as its so easy to go back and forth between sentences and paragraphs without losing focus.

I had read about the t1. It’s reported to be slower, at least according to some comments, but I would try it if I didn’t have to buy one. I agree larger screen is needed.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #30
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Just noticed this article.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-ink-ereaders/

I am currently unsure as to what model to buy. The c67ml seems to be about the cheapest boox device with a “full” a2 mode, i.e. no flashing. Alternatively, the Boox n96ml, which has a bigger screen suitable for browsing appears to have an a2 mode according to specifications. However I can’t find visual proof of this, and the only video (https://youtu.be/77kIpwei46Q) of an “n96” browsing in a2 shows flashing.

What is the N96ml a2 internet browsing like? Or running through vnc? I don’t know.

The n96ml in TheEbookReader’s review looks perfect. Smooth, responsive.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-26-2018 at 04:28 PM.