Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I did some tests with the Kindle Previewer 3 to see how page-break-avoid is handled in books with enhanced typesetting. Since a large percentage of books sold on Amazon now support ET I think that it's useful to understand. (Looking into how ET works has been my "thing" lately.)

I created a simple EPUB with 10 paragraphs, all with page-break-inside:avoid style, and ran it through the previewer. The ET version broke within different paragraphs as I adjusted the font and size. Looking into the KDF (KFX equivalent) file produced by the previewer I could see that the page-break-inside instruction had been stripped out during ET conversion. If the same holds true in the normal publishing pipeline then using page-break-inside:avoid will have no effect on books rendered with enhanced typesetting.

To test this further I created a KFX file with the same content, but manually added the KFX equivalent of page-break-inside:avoid (break_inside:avoid). When viewed in the previewer this book does not break paragraphs across pages!

However, there is a problem. When the font size is increased to the point where a paragraph can no longer fit on a single page then the previewer fails to display any pages until the font size is decreased. Assuming the same holds true for Kindles, it appears that even if Amazon did translate page-break-inside:avoid to break_inside:avoid for ET books, the result would be problematic.

I have attached my sample EPUB along with the original and non-breaking KFX (azw8) equivalents.
Attached Files
File Type: zip avoid break test files.zip (5.8 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by jhowell; 07-11-2016 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Typo
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Sweet jesus.

(Do we have an emoty where I can smash my head into the desk repeatedly?????)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sweet jesus.

(Do we have an emoty where I can smash my head into the desk repeatedly?????)
Not an emoti, but there's this, if it's any use to you.
Attached Images

jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Not an emoti, but there's this, if it's any use to you.
THANK YOU! Much appreciated.

reminds me of that wee animated meme that was making its way around, about...5 years ago? The typist/coder that typed his fingers bloody? Goes berserk? Yup...that's me.

Thanks again.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, css