Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #2926
slaviksd2
slaviksd2 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma, sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Yes. Look for the KOA2 thread.
can you please give me the link ?
slaviksd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #2927
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaviksd2 View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291728

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292337
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #2928
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
No. Can you please scroll down in this forum until you see KOA2 jailbreak? It is about 12 threads down.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #2929
slaviksd2

thank you!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #2930
slaviksd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No. Can you please scroll down in this forum until you see KOA2 jailbreak? It is about 12 threads down.
thank you!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #2931
slaviksd2

and one more question.

can l do jailbreak for blacklisted Voyage ?
firmware version is 5.8.7.0.1

thank you
Old 12-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #2932
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
and one more question.

can l do jailbreak for blacklisted Voyage ?
firmware version is 5.8.7.0.1

thank you
Sorry, we do not support blacklisted devices.
That means, we can not (will not) read the first post of this thread for you.
(Nothing personal, I write 'em, other people are expected to read them.)

Last edited by knc1; 12-17-2017 at 12:45 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #2933
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If jailbroken on an earlier firmware version, the jailbreak is known to survive the update to either 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.9.2, 5.8.10, 5.8.11.Untested with an update to 5.9.2 It should survive an update to any firmware version. It is designed to be viral.
Just to confirm that the jailbreak survives the update to firmware 5.9.2.0.1 on Kindle Voyage. Reinstalled KUAL and USBNetwork. Everything works fine.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #2934
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oumlaut View Post
Just to confirm that the jailbreak survives the update to firmware 5.9.2.0.1 on Kindle Voyage. Reinstalled KUAL and USBNetwork. Everything works fine.
thanks.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #2935
gawls
gawls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi there, I had my PW2 jailbroken on 5.7.4 for the longest time, but noticed that my Wifi would drop out from time to time. I updated the device to 5.8.7.0.1 to see if that would help my wifi troubles and it has. But something obviously happened during the update as I have lost SSH access. I can connect to the device through SSH, but the password no longer works. I believe I changed the SSH password when I was on 5.7.4 and now it doesn't work on the newer firmware.

Two questions...

1. Should I downgrade my device to regain SSH access or is there another way to do it?

2. If I do downgrade, the firmware links in post 1 lead me to "The file you are trying to access is no longer available." Where would I find the links or should I just do a Google search to find them?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I have tried the kindle SSH password page, but it didn't work.

Last edited by gawls; 12-18-2017 at 05:29 PM.
gawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #2936
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Did you re-install the SSH package? Only the actual ability to jailbreak survives a firmware update. You still have to reinstall all the packages you use.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #2937
gawls
gawls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Did you re-install the SSH package? Only the actual ability to jailbreak survives a firmware update. You still have to reinstall all the packages you use.
Yes, all packages were reinstalled through MRPI. Everything is working on the device as expected (KUAL, MRPI, screensaver hack, USBNetwork, etc.) with the exception of the SSH password.
gawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #2938
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawls View Post
Hi there, I had my PW2 jailbroken on 5.7.4 for the longest time, but noticed that my Wifi would drop out from time to time. I updated the device to 5.8.7.0.1 to see if that would help my wifi troubles and it has. But something obviously happened during the update as I have lost SSH access. I can connect to the device through SSH, but the password no longer works. I believe I changed the SSH password when I was on 5.7.4 and now it doesn't work on the newer firmware.

Two questions...

1. Should I downgrade my device to regain SSH access or is there another way to do it?

2. If I do downgrade, the firmware links in post 1 lead me to "The file you are trying to access is no longer available." Where would I find the links or should I just do a Google search to find them?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I have tried the kindle SSH password page, but it didn't work.
The password is(was) stored in /etc/passwd
When you let it update, it loaded another, complete, system image file.
Here: "complete" includes /etc/password

You need to do whatever it was you did to install a password the last time.

Note1: telnet (which is started also when you start sshd) does not require a password.

Note2: ssh over the USB cable does not require a password.

Note3: Why in the world where you not using public key authentication?
Our dropbear (the sshd server) is patched to look for the public key in USB storage (just so it never gets written over when upgrading).

Note4: did you read the fine print at the bottom of that page you tried?
Where it said "tested on my K4?
The K4 was the last model that did not have login by password disabled. All of the K5 devices, since Amazon went to the full image updates, has had password login (for 'main') disabled.
When you generate a password for a K5 from the serial number, you are generating the password used in the 'diags' system, not the 'main' system.

Note5: The new "bridge" code will be able to preserve /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow across full image updates.
(when, if ever, I get it finished.)

Last edited by knc1; 12-18-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #2939
dm1
dm1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
I have just successfully followed this procedure on a brand new PW3 which shipped with FW5.8.10.1 (3214560001). This was done before ever connecting to Wifi - so unregistered (not sure if that had any effect or not).
dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #2940
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1 View Post
I have just successfully followed this procedure on a brand new PW3 which shipped with FW5.8.10.1 (3214560001). This was done before ever connecting to Wifi - so unregistered (not sure if that had any effect or not).
Country of purchase please.