Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #61
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I'm on the token plan for Safari, think I've had it since 2007.

One thing about the tokens is that they go away after a period of time, if you don't use them. To download a whole book you usually need something like 20-30 tokens. I get 5 tokens a month so it takes a couple of months to accumulate enough tokens for a whole book.

You used to be able to download individual chapters, and those cost a couple of tokens per chapter.

I've also noticed that fewer and fewer books offer the option to buy with tokens, so it's currently a limited range of books you can get with the tokens.
I haven't bought any O'Reilly books and/or e-books after they closed the online shop. I won't use Safari because I pay too much for not 'owning' the e-books.

That said I have already a lot of e-books in my O'Reilly bookshelf and now I have the time and motivation to read through my previous bought e-books. Decreasing my 'pile of shame'.

So, O'Reilly no new money from me in the short run.

Last edited by joblack; 11-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #62
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
and now I have the time and motivation to read through my previous bought e-books.
That's actually true. I find that it's harder to commit fully to a book on Safari, usually you read one chapter here and one chapter there. It's easier to get distracted. It's also easier to get overwhelmed when you get like 20-100 books to choose from.

Others have also pointed out the bane of VIDEOS. Every single time I make a search, Safari insists on showing me the tab with the Video titles
I have yet to find a setting that takes me straight to the books-tab.

I don't do videos, they're just a nuisance, so for Safari to shove it in my face is very annoying.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #63
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
That's actually true. I find that it's harder to commit fully to a book on Safari, usually you read one chapter here and one chapter there. It's easier to get distracted. It's also easier to get overwhelmed when you get like 20-100 books to choose from.

Others have also pointed out the bane of VIDEOS. Every single time I make a search, Safari insists on showing me the tab with the Video titles
I have yet to find a setting that takes me straight to the books-tab.

I don't do videos, they're just a nuisance, so for Safari to shove it in my face is very annoying.
Mostly I use Safari as a general purpose research tool, reading a chapter here, a chapter there. It does seem that with their focus on videos, they are dropping the ball on adding new book titles. The whole point of Safari for me is that as new technologies pop up, I can research it without having to waste money buying books that will be obsolete in two years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #64
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
That's how I use it too. Don't think I've read a single whole book on Safari. The user interface feels more skewed towards fast lookup and researching.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #65
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
I used to buy plenty of O'Reilly books in paper and get the $5 matching e-books. I wanted epubs and PDFs (for markup). I must have at least a hundred. I also bought many early release e-books. I too have virtually stopped buying them since this change. I've switched to Manning; they almost always have 40% or 50% off coupons available and so for about $25 I can get early access e-books with a paper book on publication, and the quality of the content is excellent. Packt have much more variable quality but they too have frequent bargain sales (like $5 on every e-book in the week before Christmas; I snagged quite a few). I'll be way more selective now before buying any O'Reilly title.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #66
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Members Library Sign In (https://members.oreilly.com)

In March 2020 the Members Library will be shutting down
Please download any ebook, video compilation, or other content you wish to save prior to March 2020.

If you login they write

Your Products

Every ebook and video you’ve purchased through your O’Reilly account is available below. You get lifetime access to these products, and we will alert you when they are updated.

... so lifelong means until March 2020 apparently?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #67
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Members Library Sign In (https://members.oreilly.com)

In March 2020 the Members Library will be shutting down
Please download any ebook, video compilation, or other content you wish to save prior to March 2020.

If you login they write

Your Products

Every ebook and video you’ve purchased through your O’Reilly account is available below. You get lifetime access to these products, and we will alert you when they are updated.

... so lifelong means until March 2020 apparently?
The writing has been on the wall for O'Reilly for several years. A subscription to their service was a must for programmers from 2007 through a few years ago. Over the last couple of years, they have been shifting more to videos and putting out less and less book content. Kind of unfortunate, since as fast as computer technology changes, a subscription service was perfect for it.

By an odd coincidence, my yearly subscription renewal is in March. I went ahead and canceled my subscription. I've actually used my download tokens for quite a few books over the years, and generally download them right away.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #68
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I won't use Safari because I pay too much for not 'owning' the e-books
But when I checked many years ago in the test period, it was possible to copy the visualized text: was that changed?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #69
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
But when I checked many years ago in the test period, it was possible to copy the visualized text: was that changed?

That still works but I like having my legitimate bought e-books as a DRM-free file version.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #70
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The writing has been on the wall for O'Reilly for several years. A subscription to their service was a must for programmers from 2007 through a few years ago.

By an odd coincidence, my yearly subscription renewal is in March. I went ahead and canceled my subscription. I've actually used my download tokens for quite a few books over the years, and generally download them right away.

It's not the 'old' Safari it was the bookshelf where you could (and still can) download your legitimate bought e-books. No subscription was required.

That banner wasn't there a few month ago.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #71
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's not the 'old' Safari it was the bookshelf where you could (and still can) download your legitimate bought e-books. No subscription was required.

That banner wasn't there a few month ago.
I'm talking about Safari, the subscription service from O'Reilly, not ebooks that you buy from O'Relly. Safari gave you a number of tokens per month. You could use those tokens to download a particular book. The subscription service appears to have shifted it's focus to corporations rather than individuals.