Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
ellentk
Enthusiast
ellentk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 10, iPhone 7, iPadMini 4
No .apnx in .sdr folder when using calibre to send to kindle device

I've used calibre for years to convert epub files to mobi and then send to my paperwhite 1 using "send to device" via a usb connection. In every case but the last transfer, calibre has created an apnx file in the .sdr folder on my kindle and page numbers appeared on my kindle.

I tried the mobi transfer twice and also tried after converting to azw3. Each time, no page apnx file was created and no page numbers appeared. Instead, the .sdr folder contains four files ending with these extension/suffixes: azw3f, azw3r, mbp1 and mbs.

Page numbers appear when I view the epub file on my iPad.
I'm using calibre 2.22

Does anyone know what's going on?
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Right-click on "Device" in the toolbar, select "Configure this device", and make sure the generation of fake page numbers is checked.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
ellentk
Enthusiast

Thanks.

"Send page number information when sending books" is checked and below that it says "accurate." Other choices are "fast" and "pagebreak." Seems like neither of those will add pages though?

Also checked is "overwrite existing apnx on device."

I haven't changed these settings in years.

I just tried another epub book and this time calibre created the apnx file.
Could there be a problem with this one book? Is there a known problem that sometimes stops calibre from creating apnx files with books converted from epub?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think so?

You can try running calibre in debug mode and see if it prints anything interesting -- right-click Preferences and select "Restart in debug mode", or run "calibre-debug -g" from the command prompt.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
ellentk
Enthusiast

Here's the log. The second line looks strange. It hasn't been frozen in the "this program is not responding" sense. What does it mean and how can I fix it?

calibre Debug log
calibre 2.22 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
DeDRM v6.1.0: In __init__
DeDRM v6.1.0: In load_resources
DeDRM v6.1.0: verdir C:\Users\Ellen\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\DeD RM\6.1.0
DeDRM v6.1.0: In initialize
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && Inept PDF DeDRM
Starting up...
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1Job: 1 Get device information callback returnedGet device information
finished
Job: 2No details available.
Set library information started
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information callback returned
Job: 3 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= None
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: dirs are: J:\ documents
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Set library information finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 1.4 USBMS: scan from root False J:\documents
Started up in 16.30 seconds with 118 books
DEBUG: 3.8 USBMS: count found in cache: 105, count of files in metadata: 105, need_sync: False
DEBUG: 3.8 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG: 3.8 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= carda
DEBUG: 3.8 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 105
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.0209999084473
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 3 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

EDIT: Like kovid said???

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-27-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
ellentk
Enthusiast

No problem. Fun to learn new things. I googled calibre isfrozen and found this thread. I'll remove it from dropbox and see if that makes a difference, but tomorrow.

bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1240194
Old 03-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Try this over again -- delete the book from your Kindle, and delete the .sdr folder as well. Then resend the book.

Is a .sdr folder created? Only reading the book creates those other files, and hopefully also the .apnx sending.

I know when opening a book, the annotations file seems to eat the .apnx and hold the pagenumbers itself, but maybe it doesn't know how to update itself? Worth a try...
Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

isfrozen:true means you are running the version created by a python "freeze", i.e. redistributable self-contained installer, i.e. not a source install which only works on linux.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-25-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to post the debug log when you actually send the problem book to the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
ellentk
Enthusiast

I removed the book from my paperwhite 1. I removed all files from the kindle directory, including those in sdr folder. I removed the book from calibre. I then added the epub book to calibre, converted it to mobi, sent it to the paperwhite which resulted in an empty sdr folder being created. On the paperwhite, the book again had no page numbers.

Prior to doing this, I added, converted and transferred a third epub book and that worked successfully: page numbers appeared, an apnx file was created.

After the last transfer of the problem book, I closed calibre and then read that I needed to post another debug log. I reopened calibre and got this one. (Maybe I shouldn't have closed it first?)

calibre Debug log
Python 2.7.9
DeDRM v6.1.0: verdir C:\Users\Ellen\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\DeD RM\6.1.0
Starting up...
Started up in 9.18 seconds with 118 books

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ellen
Old 03-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Tha is a log of you starting calibre, a log of you sending books would be more useful.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #13
ellentk
Enthusiast

Sorry for being so clueless, guys. How do I create that log?

Last edited by ellentk; 03-26-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
Sorry for being so clueless, guys. How do I create that log?
Same log, just do all your sending before closing Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:13 AM   #15
ellentk
Enthusiast

Got it. Thanks. Here's the log.

calibre Debug log
Python 2.7.9
Starting up...
Started up in 14.22 seconds with 118 books
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Set library information started
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information callback returned
Job: 1 Job:Get device information 3finished
Get list of books on device startedNo details available.

Job: DEBUG: 0.02 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= Set library informationNone
finished
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: dirs are: J:\No details available.
documents
Job: 2 Set library information finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 1.3 USBMS: scan from root False J:\documents
DEBUG: 3.3 USBMS: count found in cache: 105, count of files in metadata: 104, need_sync: True
DEBUG: 3.3 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 5.6 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 5.6 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG: 5.6 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= carda
DEBUG: 5.6 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 104
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.0190000534058
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 3 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
Job: 4 Upload 1 books to device:Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Visionary Leader started
Device using plugboard mobi KINDLE2 None
Setting metadata in: Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Visionary Leader at: C:\Users\Ellen\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_okp3va\l wx4zicaltmpfmt.mobi
DEBUG: 14.2 USBMS: uploading 1 books
APNX META: guid: 2f727324
APNX META: ASIN: 7c320a60-5621-4fc1-8c2a-dbe114a9e681
APNX META: CDE: EBOK
APNX META: format: MOBI_7
APNX META: Name: Becoming_Steve_Jobs_The_Evolut
APNX Content Header: {"contentGuid":"2f727324","asin":"7c320a60-5621-4fc1-8c2a-dbe114a9e681","cdeType":"EBOK","fileRevisionId":"1 "}
Failed to generate APNX
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 492, in upload_apnx
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\apnx.py", line 88, in write_apnx
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'J:\\documents\\Schlender, Brent & Tetzeli, Rick\\Becoming Steve Jobs_ The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Visionary Leader - Brent Schlender & Rick Tetzeli.sdr\\Becoming Steve Jobs_ The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Visionary Leader - Brent Schlender & Rick Tetzeli.apnx'
DEBUG: 18.9 USBMS: finished uploading 1 books
DeviceJob: 4 Upload 1 books to device:Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Visionary Leader done, calling callback
DEBUG: 18.9 USBMS: adding metadata for 1 books
DEBUG: 18.9 USBMS: finished adding metadata
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 105
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.0150001049042
DeviceJob: 4 Upload 1 books to device:Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Visionary Leader callback returned
Job: 5 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 19.3 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 4 Upload 1 books to device:Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart Into a Visionary Leader finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 20.3 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 5 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 5 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 5 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.