Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
ich007
ich007 began at the beginning.

Device: Togo
Unable to access calibre-server with Firefox 62.0

Hi,
I am having a working calibre serve that I can access with eg. a Chromium browser from my Ubuntu 18.04 destop computer, the calibre server is running on a different, headless, machine also under Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
However, with the current version of Firefox 62.0 I am unable to open the java-script based homepage of the server, I am getting the "Loading, please wait" moving status bar forever. The same problem occurs on a Windows 10 computer with Firefox 62.0. On the Ubuntu Desktop anything works fine with the Chromium Browser, so this is a workaround. Downgrading Firefox to version 59 which is offered in Ubuntu also solves the problem. I am assuming that the upgrade from 61 to 62 is causing the problem and I assume that it is not an issue of the calibre server itself, its more a problem or some safety measures of Firefox.
Although there are workarounds, I would prefer to use my standard browser which is Firefox, so my question is:
Any ideas how to get the java-script based calibre server version working with Firefox 62?
Thanks a lot for your help
Uli
ich007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ich007 View Post
Hi,
I am having a working calibre serve that I can access with eg. a Chromium browser from my Ubuntu 18.04 destop computer, the calibre server is running on a different, headless, machine also under Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
However, with the current version of Firefox 62.0 I am unable to open the java-script based homepage of the server, I am getting the "Loading, please wait" moving status bar forever. The same problem occurs on a Windows 10 computer with Firefox 62.0. On the Ubuntu Desktop anything works fine with the Chromium Browser, so this is a workaround. Downgrading Firefox to version 59 which is offered in Ubuntu also solves the problem. I am assuming that the upgrade from 61 to 62 is causing the problem and I assume that it is not an issue of the calibre server itself, its more a problem or some safety measures of Firefox.
Although there are workarounds, I would prefer to use my standard browser which is Firefox, so my question is:
Any ideas how to get the java-script based calibre server version working with Firefox 62?
Thanks a lot for your help
Uli
I have no problems using calibre 3.31 on Linux Mint 19 downloading to a windows 10 tablet with Firefox 62. Both off line reading and downloading to calibre on the tablet. My suggestion is to disable your FireFox plugins and check. You might need to change to a new profile.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Update your calibre server to 3.31 or use https or turn off firefox's "I love the centralized internet" mode as described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1737642
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
ich007
ich007 began at the beginning.

Device: Togo
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your support.
At the moment I am using calibre 3.21 as that one is offered within the package management system of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
My findings:
  • A new profile of Firefox 62 (moving .mozilla to eg. .mozilla.old) did not solve the problem.
  • Setting "browser.cache.offline.insecure.enable = true" in the about:config page of Firefox 62 as suggested in the link above has solved the problem.
I also do not understand why anything has to be done by https even within a local domain but that's a philosophy of browsers in general so I am afraid that I will have to spend time in creating a https server.
Best regards and again many thanks,
Uli
ich007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
HendelTBD
HendelTBD began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
I've been stuck using the mobile version of Calibre's web view for months until I found this - changing the cache.offline setting worked for me, too. Anyone know what the equivalent fix for Chrome would be?
HendelTBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre-server, firefox