Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 05:12 AM   #16
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I just want a 13.3" very basic e-reader without all the bells and whistles. I want it to have fast refresh and 32GB storage, but other than that, I just need a basic e-reader for academic and self-scanned PDFs. I don't even need Android, or anything else, just a basic shell OS, for cheap e.g. $500.00.

Santa, are you listening?
just buy a second hand max 1.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #17
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
just buy a second hand max 1.
The Max 1 does not have those specs.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:42 AM   #18
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I am very happy with my Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (limited edition) which has 4 GB of RAM. I am using my Max 2 Pro ereader for more than just reading pdf or writing on it, so I run youtube and microsoft word on it natively (I work 8 to 10 hours a day using my ereader). Mostly I use it in the monitor mode for doing my work.

I have convinced my partner to buy one for himself to read ebooks during the evening, and so I plan to use the second ereader during the day so I will have two e-ink displays to show several documents. I get pretty bad eye strain with LCD screens and I am glad to have this option at least.
Do you think there will be another ereader in the 13.3" Max series in 2019 (in the next few months)? Or should I get another Max 2 Pro (Limited Edition) with 4gb of ram before it sells out? Thanks!!
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Do people really still believe things "sell out" before the release of the next successor?

Considering Onyx is in the business of making money by selling things and maming money, I dont see why they would simply forgo potential sales.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #20
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Well the Max 2 Pro (4 gb ram) was produced as a small batch. You are Probably right that there will be more but its not as widely available as the Max 2 and the Note series.

I would rather wait for the price to come down ideally or perhaps there will be a different model with a better processor and more ram... who knows. But I hope Onyx wont abandon the max series in preferance to the note series.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #21
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Personally, I don-t see the need for a new Max device. Very good hardware, in fact the best of all the eReaders. The 4core of the Onyx is faster and more powerfull than the Likebook 8cores. The only thing they have to do with the Max series is to improve their firmware, becaue even without having one, it-s sure they need to be improved a lot.

The only big eReader of Onyx which can be improved is the 10", because they don-t have light on it, and the Likebook Mimas will have it. We don't need better hardware (at the moment) from an eReader. With the new quad/octa-core ereaders we entered in the world of the usefull eReaders, and for the 2019 it will be more than enough

Sorry but can't stay in silence in front of that>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Pro-American/Capitalist political stuff
USis specially a country where you have to be aware of what you do on internet, and I can bet than more than Venezuela (don't forget how the media manipulates the info). We have the copyrights media issues, the closing of MEGACLOUD, all the paraonia after the 11-S and the pretended potential of everyone to be a terrorist, and what happens if you are an activist which fights against the banks and neoliberal lobbys? And for sure we better don't start to speak about Snowden, Assange and Manning. So yes, in US the control of the government is very tight. And bealive me, you can also make all memes you want about Maduro meanwhile you live in Venezuela, or about Putin living in Russia, but be carefull of the tweets you do in Spain or you can end in jail.

Well, Onyx, put a f$#@ing light in your Note and I will give to you my 4xx euros. Do it, please...
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #22
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Sorry but can't stay in silence in front of that>
i know you were just responding. And sometimes it is very difficult not to respond. I have been very tempted on several occasions to chime in myself, including on this one. I enjoy debate and am open to my ideas being challenged. I've even been known to enjoy a good flame war...

However, I've also witnessed such arguments bring down a popular forum. Some people unfortunately invest too much of their ego into what they post, and will view any challenge as a personal attack. Unfortunately, this seems to be particularly true where politics and religion are discussed.

If you are interested in debating such things, you might want to review this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103942
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #23
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
It's ok for me the way it is. Just wanted to give my opinion, and now it-s done, even if another user, whoever it is, I will stay in silence about this topic I know this is a forum about eReaders and will follow that topic, but you know... one have some weak points.

Let's talk about eReaders!

P.D.: Just read the thread you shared. I am surprised this topic had been discused so deep. Also want to say I am one of those debaters who like to mantain the debates "civil and intellectually gratifying"

P.D.2: Looking at that post is funny to see all that very active members out of the forum. If you look at the devices they have you can even find an iphone 3

Last edited by eReader fan; 12-22-2018 at 11:56 PM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #24
Faeryink
Zealot

Here is my wish list for 2019 for using Onyx Max 2 Pro Limited Edition as my main device (ebook reading is around 30%, monitor mode 30%, browsing and reading, drawing, watching youtube and videos for the rest). I know I am in the minority for using it as a main device and for extended periods, and most people are using it for primarily reading pdfs and ebook, but here is my wish list:

1. Please give me an option to open two apps side by side (say, browser in one half, microsoft word in the other etc.). I have 4 GB of RAM in my Onyx Max 2 Pro and it would be so convenient to have this feature.

2. Improved pen input support for 3rd party apps such as Nebo, Autodesk sketchbook etc. There is a small delay but it works. It would be great to improve this a bit more.

3. If Onyx International decides to incorporate front-lit or back-lit e-ink screen, as this seems to be very popular request, then I hope that Onyx Int. would allow individuals to choose un-lit devices as I agree with some researchers that the best way to use the e-ink screen is to use an external light source which also balances the ambient light. Sorry I know I may annoy some people here, but I hope if you do roll out devices with integrated lighting, please offer a cheaper non-lit version if possible.

4. Moving the power button etc from the bottom of the Max 2 Pro to the opposite side.

5. Continued firmware and software support of course. As an artist/scientist, I use my ereader for drawing and illustrating. I would like to see more brushes in the Notes application (rendering sumi ink and pen brushes would be nice, more fluidity would be great). Likewise I would like to see more pencil brushes (changes in the value greyscale rather than just black). Perspective tools would be great too. Basically Autodesk Sketchbook doesnt work so well yet. There is a delay, but maybe with improvements with 3rd party pen-input compatibility may overcome these shortcomings. PS: Another big feature would be the addition of layers in the Note application when drawing....

6. Please don't abandon the 13.3" ereader Max series, and if you do make bigger e-ink devices I hope you would bring out a 15" or a 17" (maybe foldable screens). I know it sounds a bit mad, but I don't care what people think. I would appreciate if you can make a very big foldable device, even the size of an A3 sketchbook which I can open on my drawing table and draw and paint and write. If people like Remarkable size ereaders there are tons of options.

7. Contrary to the views presented on this thread, I would welcome hardware upgrades to the Max series to improve its capability to be used as a stand-alone android device and not just an ereader. Certainly, people can choose the older models if they don't want the additional features or the improvements in speed. It of course depends on the end user's needs. I am merely sharing my thoughts perhaps from a different angle. Majority of the people here are right to say that the hardware is good enough, but I would like to see more power and extended capabilities with hardware upgrades.

Please don't get annoyed with me, and I have shared my thoughts as I really rely on e-ink screens due to my health issues. Thanks for reading my post and for your understanding and help in advance.

Last edited by Faeryink; 12-23-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #25
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post
6. Please don't abandon the 13.3" ereader Max series,

doubt they do, max 2 have sold over their expectations and it is every few weeks out of stock in amazon

they finally acknowledged that there is a decent enought in size market for big ereaders with good hardware.

Last edited by whopper; 12-23-2018 at 09:11 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:56 AM   #26
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
2. Improved pen input support for 3rd party apps such as Nebo, Autodesk sketchbook etc. There is a small delay but it works. It would be great to improve this a bit more.
Do you use Nebo on Onyx Boox? Could you tell me if it is usable and your impressions? I hope Onyx team will use Nebo's engine for hand-writing recognition in note app.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #27
Faeryink
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Do you use Nebo on Onyx Boox? Could you tell me if it is usable and your impressions? I hope Onyx team will use Nebo's engine for hand-writing recognition in note app.
Yes, I use Nebo on my Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (4 GB RAM version). I turn off capacitive touch and use the A2 mode. In comparison to my Ipad 2018 (Apple pencil input) it is slower but in my opinion workable. However, the text recognition (handwriting to text) is exactly the same.
There is a small lag between writing and when the text appears. But that doesn't bother me. It doesn't crash or anything like that. I didn't have a good experience with the Onyx Boox Max 2 with 2 GB RAM it kept crashing (back in December 2018).
Don't expect Nebo to be as rapid as on the Ipad or another pen-enable tablet. I am happy with it overall. I tend to just write and ignore the text processing and it appears within a few seconds, so if you can put up with this then it might work for you. If you do go ahead, turn off capacitive touch, work in A2 mode and turn up the contrast (in the app optimisation). With the new updated firmware (2.1.1) on my device, I use the Navigation ball to switch between Nebo and other applications. Hope this review helps.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:47 AM   #28
Faeryink
Zealot

@desk7
More thoughts on Nebo:
You get clearer text and better contrast with the normal mode (A2 mode turn off) in Nebo. It doesnt make a huge effect on the speed really. But turning the capacitive touch off is vital.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 AM   #29
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
@desk7
More thoughts on Nebo:
You get clearer text and better contrast with the normal mode (A2 mode turn off) in Nebo. It doesnt make a huge effect on the speed really. But turning the capacitive touch off is vital.
Thank you for your detailed description.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote