Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #76
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That said, would a "Serious" pre-fix perhaps be an idea? This would not be a hard fast rule that you couldn't have FUN in that thread, but just would indicate to folks that the OP wasn't kidding and didn't mean to "banter".

A new prefix would also allow for an inclusive filtering for that pre-fix.
This is maybe better since I assume that prefix can be changed much easier than moving threads between sub-forums.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Yes you are right, the silliness does not (often) move out of the Lounge (except perhaps into the Writers area).
A question would be what becomes the sub-forum : Silliness or Seriousness?
I would actually favour the former - into the Playground, perhaps.
I would not want the people who currently enjoy using the Lounge to feel "marginalised" in any way, and so I would prefer the latter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Surely the default is for seriousness ?
Two things,

1. The default is "banter" per the lounge description.

2. There is no way to filter for threads with NO pre-fix. (Yes I said this a few posts ago, sorry)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #79
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Surely the default is for seriousness ?
I do not think so. The default is probably "undecided" and this can then develop into different directions. Having a tag from the beginning would prohibit certain directions.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #80
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would not want the people who currently enjoy using the Lounge to feel "marginalised" in any way, and so I would prefer the latter.

Which came first? The Lounge or the Silliness .... The default for any post is 'seriousness'; it implies that in the choices one has...

'silliness' is there as a specific prefix.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Lounge came first, but we have to deal with the situation as we now find it. I am informed that many new members find the "friendliness" of the Lounge to be less "intimidating" than the other, technically-oriented, forums, and that it would be perceived as undesirable to alter that - hence the suggestion to leave the Lounge as it currently is and provide a new location for more serious stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #82
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This is maybe better since I assume that prefix can be changed much easier than moving threads between sub-forums.
Actually the forum software makes both tasks very easy to do. However, the pre-fixes keep things cleaner. I have requested also a way to ignore threads as you can ignore sections and posters. But, I'm not sure what Alex's feeling on that suggestion is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #83
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not think so. The default is probably "undecided" and this can then develop into different directions. Having a tag from the beginning would prohibit certain directions.

Sorry, my last post was obviously posted too close to two others.

I am beginning to understand why Alex may have wanted to leave well alone !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #84
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I still fail to see how such a 'new' sub-forum would achieve that.

Well, I think it's a matter of being respectful. If one has something silly to post in a sub-forum that does not cater to this, then it is clearly a matter of being disrespectful when someone goes and posts some stupid, silly comment in an area where it is not called for.

Having said that, however, I see threads as"organic," in that they drift and flow in different directions, sometimes moving slighty away from the main topic of the thread - but they will invariably come back to the "trunk" of the thread. But there's a world of difference between that and posting silly comments in a thread where it's not called for.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #85
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
One would hope that the people who enjoy injecting "witty" remarks into every thread in the Lounge would have the courtesy (and I'm sure they would) of not doing so in a sub-forum specifically earmarked as being for more serious discussions. I see no reason to suppose that this would not be the case. After all, it does not happen in every thread on the other parts of the board.
I agree. Even I usually resist the temptation to post silliness outside of The Llounge. What more evidence do you need?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #86
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
They do, but it is flat out impossible to start any thread in the Lounge which doesn't degenerate into off-topic "humour". That is why I would like to see a separate sub-forum for people who want to enjoy "serious" discussions with less risk of that happening. I have absolutely nothing against the Lounge, for those people who enjoy such things, but it has to be recognised that there are many people who do not.
Exactly how I feel about it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #87
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I opened the thread again. I didn't think it should be closed. Harry didn't think it should be closed.

Continuing the discussion, Harry and I are both in favor of a new subforum.

This thread should have given you a hint of why that wouldn't work. his was a serious thread in a serious forum, and it still got "hijacked". I hope everyone realizes that this would happen in the new forum as well.
You may also add me to that list, as well.

Don
Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #88
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
I am informed that many new members find the "friendliness" of the Lounge to be less "intimidating" than the other, technically-oriented, forums, and that it would be perceived as undesirable to alter that - hence the suggestion to leave the Lounge as it currently is and provide a new location for more serious stuff.

As a new member I have to say that I have exactly the opposite reaction to the lounge. I did find it intimidating even though I liked some of the threads. Why? Because I feel that there is a lot of clique forming going on in a lot of threads.
Since I'm new here I don't now all the inn jokes. I feel people would rather talk amongst themselves. The lounge often doesn't feel 'open'. Visiting there can feel for me like I'm listening in on people's private conversations. Now personally I don't get why conversations like that don't take place in the chat, msn ,or some other means.
Slow chatting is not allowed on other boards that I visit exactly for the reasons I stated above.

Also, just checking the lounge threads I don't see very many (or any?)
newcomers posting there.

For me the lounge could be a place to get to know the people that frequent this board, but as it stands, I don't feel that it is the place to do this.

This is why I had hoped that there could be an easy way to ignore especially the silliness threads or the lounge all together when searching for new posts.
As it is a part of the forum that isn't at all usefull to me.

I must say I'm glad this thread got opened again .
I felt really angry and hurt when it got closed without being able to give a response.

Just to add. I chose to speak up about this, because I also think mobileread is otherwise just a great place to be.
Where else am i going to find others that like reading and gadgetry just as much as i do
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #89
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysart View Post
As a new member I have to say that I have exactly the opposite reaction to the lounge. I did find it intimidating even though I liked some of the threads. Why? Because I feel that there is a lot of clique forming going on in a lot of threads.
Since I'm new here I don't now all the inn jokes. I feel people would rather talk amongst themselves. The lounge often doesn't feel 'open'. Visiting there can feel for me like I'm listening in on people's private conversations. Now personally I don't get why conversations like that don't take place in the chat, msn ,or some other means.
Slow chatting is not allowed on other boards that I visit exactly for the reasons I stated above.

Also, just checking the lounge threads I don't see very many (or any?)
newcomers posting there.

For me the lounge could be a place to get to know the people that frequent this board, but as it stands, I don't feel that it is the place to do this.

This is why I had hoped that there could be an easy way to ignore especially the silliness threads or the lounge all together when searching for new posts.
As it is a part of the forum that isn't at all usefull to me.

I must say I'm glad this thread got opened again .
I felt really angry and hurt when it got closed without being able to give a response.

Just to add. I chose to speak up about this, because I also think mobileread is otherwise just a great place to be.
Where else am i going to find others that like reading and gadgetry just as much as i do

I want to put on my moderator's hat and say "thank you" for speaking up, and for speaking up in a way that is important to you, no matter what opinion you hold. It is this idea that you CAN express your opinion that is so important.

Freedom of expression, I feel, is important on any Board where members are courteous and respectful of one another, and who write in tones that show both thoughtfulness, courtesy, and concern - as your post does.

I think the worst feeling that any member can have is to feel marginalized or to feel he/she has no voice within that community in which that person is a member.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated, and I'm glad you're enjoying MobileRead.

Don
(moderator)
Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #90
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysart View Post
Since I'm new here I don't now all the inn jokes. I feel people would rather talk amongst themselves. The lounge often doesn't feel 'open'. Visiting there can feel for me like I'm listening in on people's private conversations.
I am not exactly new, but that is how I feel quite often.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote