Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question How to make text "darker" and a bit smaller in conversions to LRF?

I've noticed in professional LRF e-books and community-created books such as HarryT's Sherlock Holmes omnibus, the text seems to be a bit smaller and darker than what I get on my average conversion to LRF using Calibre.

When converting .lit and rtf to lrf in Calibre, I just leave all the defaults as is. This usually results in a nicely formatted book, but one where the text is a bit "thin" and faint compared to what I was describing above.

Is there any way to enable this look easily via Calibre upon conversion, or by using a text editor? I don't have access to Book Designer (Mac user), and I don't believe what I'm talking about requires font embedding...

Last edited by Teddman; 02-08-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm no expert with Calibre, but here is what I do. I'm using Calibre version 0.5.10.

In the Override CSS, I put the following:

Code:
p {line-height:2.5}
body{font-family: sans-serif} p{font-family: sans-serif}
I set "Base font size" to 10.5

For EPub, the fonts sometimes don't come out as a like, so in stylesheet.css, I'll do a global replace of "serif" with "sans-serif".

Good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the advice. I would prefer to stick with a serif font if possible though... I guess there's no easy way to get the slightly smaller, darker text that Harry gets for his books via Book Designer?

EDIT: So it turned out that the obvious fix was to simply bold all text in the source file. So say if you have an rtf ebook, open it in a text editor, select all, bold it, and then save it. You can then convert to lrf and the book will display bold on the reader.

I'm not sure if this would work on a .lit or other source file where it isn't as easy to bold the text in a regular text editor.

Last edited by Teddman; 02-11-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote