Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
PRS500 not seen by Calibre

On XP Pro, I used to have Kovid's version of the drivers installed. One day, there was an error in the device manager, so I uninstalled the driver. I was several versions behind on this machine, so I decided to update while I was at it. After uninstalling the driver, here's what I did:

- Update calibre (now 0.4.95)
- Re-connect the prs-500
- manually select the driver to install
- reboot

After installing the new driver, the machine booted up fine & the device is visible in 'device manager'. I have a section labeled 'LibUSB-Win32 Devices', which expands with a 'Sony Reader'. When I open properties for 'Sony Reader', it says that the device is working properly.

I'm kind of stuck here. What diagnostics can I use to see what's going on?

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
After installing the new driver, the machine booted up fine & the device is visible in 'device manager'. I have a section labeled 'LibUSB-Win32 Devices', which expands with a 'Sony Reader'. When I open properties for 'Sony Reader', it says that the device is working properly.

I'm kind of stuck here. What diagnostics can I use to see what's going on?

- Ed
Are you sure it is the calibre driver that is installed, and not the Sony one? I would just do the following.

1. Uninstall calibre.
2. Remove the device driver lifted in device manager.
3. Install calibre and select the install driver check box.
4. Run calibre
5. Connect the 500 to your PC... it should show up in calibre.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you sure it is the calibre driver that is installed, and not the Sony one? I would just do the following.

1. Uninstall calibre.
Done.
Quote:
2. Remove the device driver lifted in device manager.
Done.
Quote:
3. Install calibre and select the install driver check box.
The current version does not prompt for this, but it does install the files into the 'calibre\drivers' direcory.
Quote:
4. Run calibre
Done.
Quote:
5. Connect the 500 to your PC... it should show up in calibre.
It doesn't show up in Calibre. The device will appear in DriverManager as a libusb device, but it does not appear in Calibre.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The current version does not prompt for this, but it does install the files into the 'calibre\drivers' direcory.
Shows how long it's been since I installed this on Windows.

Quote:
It doesn't show up in Calibre. The device will appear in DriverManager as a libusb device, but it does not appear in Calibre.
Ok... where does the device driver show up in Hardware manger? Does it should up under LibUSB-Win32 Devices? Does it also show up under Universal Serial Bus Controllers? If it shows up in the latter that is the Sony driver, remove that.

What I did was right click on the Sony driver... choose update driver... choose have disk... navigate to calibre\driver and choose the inf file. After that it told me to reboot. I followed those directions and after I rebooted calibre saw my 500. I previously had the Sony driver installed.

BOb
Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
edembowski
Zealot

It shows up under LibUSB-Win32. The sony drivers are not physically present on this machine (they've been removed).
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It shows up under LibUSB-Win32. The sony drivers are not physically present on this machine (they've been removed).
Sorry then, I'm stumped. I did notice that the sony driver is installed on the fly when you plug in the device if the calibre driver isn't installed.

BOb
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd suggest deleting an re-installing the driver from device manager, leberally interspersed with reboots, sometime windows needs a little coaxing to do the right thing
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
edembowski
Zealot

Thanks everyone. I've been able to track down what the problem was. It seems that connecting via the keyboard's USB port gave unreliable results, and connecting directly to the laptop is the better way to go. I think it's probably because the keyboard's usb hub is an un-powered hub, and it was probably just borderline. It showed great in the device manager, but not enough juice to hold a conversation w/ calibre.

- Ed
Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Good catch, that's the peril of using those keyboard hubs. Convenient, but a pain to troubleshoot.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote