Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Calibre 64Bit Issues

Hello,

I've just replaced my puter after 10 years (new to Win 10 and 64bit).

I have found Calibre under 64bit (3.7) to be "Glitchy" - that is, it is really slow to start, and when I save metadata (opened via the "E" key) it takes several seconds for it to save. Even some of the columns take a brief moment of time to update.

None of this happened under my 10 year old XP machine. Calibre ran awesomely, so now I'm somewhat disturbed about this situation with the new machine. I have tonnes (we're metric here ) of resources.

Initally, when I first loaded Calibre 64 bit, the save metadata window would take 5-10 seconds to close after adding the info. I loaded the 32bit version and it didn't do this. Going back to the 64bit version, I noticed the Metadata update window was now closing in half the time. I also found reverting to default icons helped. Did the 32bit version somehow impact the 64bit one (make it better a little)? I have no real idea how all this fits together.

Any ideas on what could be going on? I have been on 1.48 for so long that a lot of this is new to me. I'm not even sure where I should be looking. I did find one other post on here about a similar issue quite some time ago, but not real sure there was a solution.

I did a fresh install of calibre 3.7 64bit, then re-installed all the plugins from scratch by downloading them. I pointed to me original library (it has the same number of books that ran perfectly on xp).

Scratching my head somewhat.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no differences in performance between calibre 64bit and 32bit. Performance issues on windows are typically caused by some program interfering with calibre, usually an antivirus. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if ti makes a difference.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
NAS or ACTIVE Cloud sync for the Calibre Library folder is not advised <strong>

Startup is a tiny bit slower , <15 sec on older HW
Saving from the MDE is less than a 3 count

Suggest you tame your A/V if not Defender (plays nice as is)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Kovid, Disabling AV made no difference.

Ducks..NAS thingee not happening on my system.

Look...I'm willing to concede that this COULD be a perception thing. I have been using the 32bit 1.48 version of Calibre on XP for so long I have a real feel for it - but the 64bit one on the new system jsut doesn't feel quite right.

Perhaps I need Mulder and Scully?

Ducks...a three count is about right to close MDE.

I probably haven't used it enough or the new system enough to be truly certain. Perhaps I should give it more time. Only been on it a week - but man...it's fast compared to my XP unit on everything else

Just thought I'd ask in case I was missing something. I did see some posts saying LibreOffice caused issues. I might uninstall and see if anything changes.

Appreicate the input.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It it's of any use, I'm running calibre 3.7 64-bit on a current computer (Skylake 6700K) on Windows 10 as well, and it has no issues with regard to speed.

You said the 32-bit 3.7 version is a lot faster than the 64-bit 3.7 on the same computer? What about version 1.48 on that computer... is it even faster?

I'm finding this a bit strange, as I've never noticed a difference between calibre 32-bit and 64-bit, except for the fact that calibre 64-bit is capable of converting some huge books which the 32-bit version can't handle due to lack of memory. Also, because it can use a lot more memory, the 64-bit version can convert more books at the same time, if you have the CPU-resources (cores) available.

This is a completely expected difference however, and the most important (maybe even only) reason for running the 64-bit version.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-11-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #6
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It it's of any use, I'm running calibre 3.7 64-bit on a current computer (Skylake 6700K) on Windows 10 as well, and it has no issues with regard to speed.

You said the 32-bit 3.7 version is a lot faster than the 64-bit 3.7 on the same computer? What about version 1.48 on that computer... is it even faster?

I'm finding this a bit strange, as I've never noticed a difference between calibre 32-bit and 64-bit, except for the fact that calibre 64-bit is capable of converting some huge books which the 32-bit version can't handle due to lack of memory. Also, because it can use a lot more memory, the 64-bit version can convert more books at the same time, if you have the CPU-resources (cores) available.

This is a completely expected difference however, and the most important (maybe even only) reason for running the 64-bit version.
I need to do some testing to see if 1.48 is any faster. Again...it could be perception more than reality, but as I use calibre 64bit - it just doesn't seem quite right. I think I need more time in there to convince myself. Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Chris_Snow - different but similar ==>> Poor performance with large library

The upshot of that thread is that the performance problems appeared to go away of their own accord. But maybe there's something in the thread that will 'ring a bell/sound an alarm'.

Since mid Aug I too have a new system - I7 7700, 16Gb RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, and 2Tb SATA 3 HDD, and a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card.

For calibre, my perception is that conversion and some plugins (e.g. count pages and modify) are significantly faster, start up is a bit faster. I can't talk to 'normal' metadata editing as I do all mine in the book list

In that mode, performance is about the same - as fast as I can type, hit tab to get to next cell, and return to stop editing the row. Not as fast as Excel - but a bloody sight faster than form filling in dialogue boxes.

Out of curiosity I went into single metadata edit - it seemed quite slow. My memory is that I paid a performance penalty for editing in the book list; because the opf file is rewritten and the database is updated for every cell edited. I'm no longer sure that's true. But that could be perception.

One thing I recently 're-discovered' is that if you turn off the Animation Visual Effects, Windows 10 is much snappier (every where) - much more so than turning them off in Win 7.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Windows has a 'pre-fetch' feature(?) that I believe is intended to keep program 'environments/images/data/????' ready to load to improve performance.

I'm not exactly sure of it's logic, but after cleaning (CCleaner) or a Windows Update, opening a program for the first time seems to take a bit longer.

Subsequent openings seem to go faster
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
Chris_Snow
Zealot

BetterRed - I also edit single cells by pressing the F2 key (KBSC Assigned) and then editing the cell. This seems slower than on my XP machine, which is virtually instantaneous. The two most common cells for me are custom ones that either puts a tick or "X" in one cell and the other is a sequence of text - the first being "Yes." This seems noticably slower than on my XP machine, which is virtually instantaneous.

My specs are almost identical to yours, except I used 3Tb data drives and 32Gb RAM. I still have a lot to setup on my new machine, so haven't been spending as much time as I usually do in Calibre.

I do have my XP machine setup right beside my new one - copying settings between machines etc. The XP still seems to have a slight edge on THESE tasks than my new one. Rather strange.

Ultimately, I though I would post here and ask because there are so many clever people here they could offer some suggestions. I really don't know what to look for.

phossler - Superfetch is running on my Win 10, but I have opened and close Calibre numerous times - even uninstalled and reinstalled. Superfetch and Indexing is turned off on my XP machine. I will test my new machine with these settings off.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Chris_Snow - for new 'books' I typically enter 8-13 cells (2 dates, 3 ints, some tag like strings, etc), so our perceptions are probably quite different.

Have you tried running 1.48.0 on the new box. If you install the 32bit version of 1.48, you'll be using the same libraries and configuration data as the 64bit 3.7. That should give you a feeling as to whether it's a Calibre or Windows issue.

BR
Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
...Superfetch is running on my Win 10, but I have opened and close Calibre numerous times - even uninstalled and reinstalled. Superfetch and Indexing is turned off on my XP machine. I will test my new machine with these settings off.
SuperFetch is defaulted on and I don't think it would be an issue; I never change it from default.

Indexing on big drives slows things down a lot, in my experience, until the drive(s) is fully indexed (takes a while, like a long time ) and then somewhat after. I do not index any drives and that has never caused me any issues.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
@Chris_Snow - for new 'books' I typically enter 8-13 cells (2 dates, 3 ints, some tag like strings, etc), so our perceptions are probably quite different.

Have you tried running 1.48.0 on the new box. If you install the 32bit version of 1.48, you'll be using the same libraries and configuration data as the 64bit 3.7. That should give you a feeling as to whether it's a Calibre or Windows issue.

BR
BetterRed - 1.48 is on the to do list. I've been using Calibre for the last hour. Something definitely funky is going on.

AnotherCat
- I turned both off, but still haven't done any testing. Other things are running currently on the machine that makes a reboot at this point sometime away.

I really want to get to the bottom of this.

How do you make Calibre refresh your whole library?

While I installed and setup Calibre 3.7 as a fresh install, my library came across complete, including the original DB file. I'm thinking of a complete refresh and rebuild the db from scratch - well...rebuild the files using the current opf files.

I also want to look at my wife's machine - also 64bit calibre, but an ealier version (not sure what number). I am certain this is NOT going on for her. She is busy using it currently
Old 09-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
How do you make Calibre refresh your whole library?
Before doing a Restore database, you might want to do a Check library and resolve any anomalies it finds, they're both in the Library maintenance flyout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	159007

The restore could take a while on a large library.

Both features (check & restore) are also available via the calibredb command. in version 3 there are restrictions on running calibredb and calibre concurrently, not that I ever wanted to before.

are you running calibre-server?

FWIW when I copied my data to this new box, I left the indexer running while I went out for a couple of hours, when I came back it had finished indexing ~450,000 items, I run some extra iFilters. If you turn indexing off you might lose some of Cortana's features - but IMO its better to turn Cortana off

BR
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #14
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Before doing a Restore database, you might want to do a Check library and resolve any anomalies it finds, they're both in the Library maintenance flyout.

Attachment 159007

The restore could take a while on a large library.

Both features (check & restore) are also available via the calibredb command. in version 3 there are restrictions on running calibredb and calibre concurrently, not that I ever wanted to before.

are you running calibre-server?

FWIW when I copied my data to this new box, I left the indexer running while I went out for a couple of hours, when I came back it had finished indexing ~450,000 items, I run some extra iFilters. If you turn indexing off you might lose some of Cortana's features - but IMO its better to turn Cortana off

BR
Not running Calibre server.

I'll give that check thingee a go once my tasks are done. Restore looks intersting. I'll have to research that.

I don't run cortana or anything like that. I love XP - none of that crap on it - while w10 is nothing but crap

It's amazing to me how many little things have changed that have made me have to relearn so many things. Productivity is way, way down and computers are meant to make productivity better - aren't they ?? And...aren't they meant to be better. Doesn't seem that way to me!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #15
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Can I run two versions of 64bit calibre on the same machine? Don't have to run at the same time, but will installing a ealier version upset the current one?