Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
[Android] Inkbook Prime and CC

I am pondering purchasing the Inkbook Prime ereader. It runs android 4.2.2 and I realize I will most likely have to sideload my Google Play apk to the device from another device. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with running CC on this device?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC should run fine. It doesn't care if the play store or google services aren't installed. A larger problem could be moon+. I don't know if it wants to check a license, but if it does then it won't run.

Another issue could be the desktop manager. I thought that the default manager on my Onyx and Boyue devices was terrible, trying to be both an app manager and a library manager. I ended up rooting the device and installing the Nova launcher. It might be that you could install the free version of Nova without root.

I think that several CC users have the Onyx Boox C67ML, which is approximately the same price.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your insight. Here is another ereader, Good e-Reader 6.8" Android eReader, I would like your input on. It is only running android 4.0, is that still supported by CC?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:20 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Thank you for your insight. Here is another ereader, Good e-Reader 6.8" Android eReader, I would like your input on. It is only running android 4.0, is that still supported by CC?
That is a kickstarter page. Can you actually get the reader?

CC is supposed to run on 4.0 (the original Ice Cream Sandwich) but I can't guarantee that problems haven't sneaked in. According to our analytics the earliest version of Android actually running CC is 4.0.3. Ahhh... never mind. At the bottom of the kickstarter page they say it runs 4.04. Around 150 devices run CC on that version.

FWIW, here are the criteria I will use when I buy my next e-ink device. This may be sooner rather than later, as I dropped my Afterglow and the power button popped out. I managed to get it back in but the case is still a bit wonky.
  • Can I root it? Are there tested directions? I refuse to be stuck with the standard home screen. A newer one might work acceptably, but I haven't seen one yet. I run (paid for) Nova on all my devices, e-ink and "standard" phones.
  • Can I install the Google Play store? If not then there easily could be problems with app acquisition and licensing. Also, I use Google's mail and calendar, which depend on "Google Services".
  • Memory. In particular I would check the amount of "Internal Storage", sometimes called "Device Memory", which is where installed apps go. My Afterglow has a pitiful amount, 512KB, which means that I have no end of problems installing apps.
  • Does it support SD cards? I haven't seen one that doesn't but it is worth being sure.
  • Which version of Android? Most devices seem to run 4.2.2. I would be nervous about running 4.4 because of the SD card problems. I don't know of a device that runs 5 or later.
  • Buttons. Does it have left and right page buttons?
  • Which screen? AFAIK the newest is Carta but it is still possible to get Pearl. I have them both. Carta is marginally better than Pearl but IMO not so much so that I would reject a Pearl device.
If you haven't already, you might want to take a look the readers at https://www.banggood.com.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Not yet.

Quote:
[*]Can I install the Google Play store? If not then there easily could be problems with app acquisition and licensing. Also, I use Google's mail and calendar, which depend on "Google Services".[*]Memory. In particular I would check the amount of "Internal Storage", sometimes called "Device Memory", which is where installed apps go. My Afterglow has a pitiful amount, 512KB, which means that I have no end of problems installing apps.[*]Which version of Android? Most devices seem to run 4.2.2. I would be nervous about running 4.4 because of the SD card problems. I don't know of a device that runs 5 or later.
The above three concern me too. Especially the 512KB of ram. I haven't seen one yet above that number.

Again, thanks for your input.
Advert
Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:

CC is supposed to run on 4.0 (the original Ice Cream Sandwich) but I can't guarantee that problems haven't sneaked in. According to our analytics the earliest version of Android actually running CC is 4.0.3. Ahhh... never mind. At the bottom of the kickstarter page they say it runs 4.04. Around 150 devices run CC on that version.

FWIW, here are the criteria I will use when I buy my next e-ink device. This may be sooner rather than later, as I dropped my Afterglow and the power button popped out. I managed to get it back in but the case is still a bit wonky.
  • Can I root it? Are there tested directions? I refuse to be stuck with the standard home screen. A newer one might work acceptably, but I haven't seen one yet. I run (paid for) Nova on all my devices, e-ink and "standard" phones.
  • Can I install the Google Play store? If not then there easily could be problems with app acquisition and licensing. Also, I use Google's mail and calendar, which depend on "Google Services".
  • Memory. In particular I would check the amount of "Internal Storage", sometimes called "Device Memory", which is where installed apps go. My Afterglow has a pitiful amount, 512KB, which means that I have no end of problems installing apps.
  • Does it support SD cards? I haven't seen one that doesn't but it is worth being sure.
  • Which version of Android? Most devices seem to run 4.2.2. I would be nervous about running 4.4 because of the SD card problems. I don't know of a device that runs 5 or later.
  • Buttons. Does it have left and right page buttons?
  • Which screen? AFAIK the newest is Carta but it is still possible to get Pearl. I have them both. Carta is marginally better than Pearl but IMO not so much so that I would reject a Pearl device.
If you haven't already, you might want to take a look the readers at https://www.banggood.com.
My next reader will probably be JDread (Boyue T63). Which matches most of your requirements. I really like the look of the flushed screen but don't know how well the lighting will be. Though personally I like the boyue launcher as it gives me the three apps that I use. Calibre companion, Coolreader and Total commander.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
For what it's worth, I run CC and Moon+ Reader on an inkBOOK Prime. I sideloaded the Amazon Appstore and downloaded the apps from it, though--not Google Play.

Quote:
Can I root it? Are there tested directions? I refuse to be stuck with the standard home screen. A newer one might work acceptably, but I haven't seen one yet. I run (paid for) Nova on all my devices, e-ink and "standard" phones.
I'm curious about this and how it works. I've always been an iOS guy. Android is a bit new to me, but I'm pretty tech savvy. I would give just about anything to have a better UI on my inkBOOK.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
For what it's worth, I run CC and Moon+ Reader on an inkBOOK Prime. I sideloaded the Amazon Appstore and downloaded the apps from it, though--not Google Play.
Thanks for the feedback. The other three apps I would live to verify work are Dropbox, Feedly, and Pocket Casts.

Those 5 apps comprise what I use on my tablet 98% of the time.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:55 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
I'm curious about this and how it works. I've always been an iOS guy. Android is a bit new to me, but I'm pretty tech savvy. I would give just about anything to have a better UI on my inkBOOK.
You could try installing and running the Nova launcher. On many devices it can replace the desktop without rooting the device. It isn't in the Amazon appstore, but you can download the APK directly from TeslaCoil here.

FWIW: I use Nova (paid) on all my devices, e-ink and otherwise, rooted and otherwise.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Quote:
I am pondering purchasing the Inkbook Prime ereader. It runs android 4.2.2 and I realize I will most likely have to sideload my Google Play apk to the device from another device. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with running CC on this device?
DoctorOhh, inkBOOK Prime supports Calibre Companion. And if you have additional questions, we can help.
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtaTechPoland View Post
DoctorOhh, inkBOOK Prime supports Calibre Companion. And if you have additional questions, we can help.
That is interesting. How do you sell it without the play store on the device? We have not approved any appstores other than Google Play and Amazon.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Quote:
That is interesting. How do you sell it without the play store on the device? We have not approved any appstores other than Google Play and Amazon.

When I had an inkBOOK, the only way I could figure out how to purchase it was through Amazon.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtaTechPoland View Post
I have the following questions.
  1. Can this ereader connect to my car speakers via bluetooth?
  2. If not, does it have an audio output jack?
  3. Do the following Apps work on the Inkbook Prime:
  • Dropbox: Yes/No
  • Feedly: Yes/No
  • Pocket Casts: Yes/No
  • Calibre Companion: Yes- as indicated by @ArtaTechPoland
  • Moon+ Pro: Yes - as indicated by @mdclanahan
  • Nova launcher: Yes/No
If the top five Apps above work on the Inkbook Prime then I am ready to purchase this device.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have the following questions.
If you can side-load apps, which I think you can do, then you can sideload the CC APK from one of your google play devices. CC figures out that google play isn't installed and behaves accordingly. It would be up to you to install CC updates from time to time.
mdclanahan bought a copy from Amazon. I don't know what will happen if you sideload the Pro version from one your google play devices.If the free version is acceptable then you can get the APK directly from teslacoil. *Probably* the Inkbook supports changing the desktop manager. My Afterglow II, also sold by ArtaTech, does.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
If you can side-load apps, which I think you can do, then you can sideload the CC APK from one of your google play devices. CC figures out that google play isn't installed and behaves accordingly. It would be up to you to install CC updates from time to time.
mdclanahan bought a copy from Amazon. I don't know what will happen if you sideload the Pro version from one your google play devices.If the free version is acceptable then you can get the APK directly from teslacoil. *Probably* the Inkbook supports changing the desktop manager. My Afterglow II, also sold by ArtaTech, does.
Charles, thanks for the info. You are correct in that I have no problem side loading apks. I also have no issue purchasing either CC or Moon+ Reader Pro again from Amazon to make future updating simpler.

Hopefully @ArtaTechPoland about the other Apps.