Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #46
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
1.) what device are you reading on?
iPhone 6

Quote:
2.) based on the current font size limit, what do you feel is a comfortable font size for you?
I'm not sure how to quantify, but when my eyes are really bothering me, I will push up the font size in Bluefire Reader (or Marvin) so that 5 lines fit on the screen with line-height similar to Hyphen's 1.4.

I did try adding my own css stylesheet which was helpful (nice feature btw )

However, it only worked when I used p {font-size: 200%;} Using body {font-size: 200%;} did not work. This makes it tricky since some ebooks use <div> for paragraphs and then there's the issue of headers. Any suggestions?

Anyway, I can sort of get around the font-size problem with custom css, but the sliding page-turn animations give me a headache, which makes Hyphen unusable for me. Incidentally, Apple's fancy iOS animations also give me a headache. It was painful to use my iPhone until Apple added the "Reduce Motion" options in Settings to turn them off. If you add an option to turn off animations in Hyphen, I would happily purchase this app as I really like the other features.

Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #47
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: iPhone [Hyphen Reader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I did try adding my own css stylesheet which was helpful (nice feature btw )

However, it only worked when I used p {font-size: 200%;} Using body {font-size: 200%;} did not work. This makes it tricky since some ebooks use <div> for paragraphs and then there's the issue of headers. Any suggestions?
Hello odamizu,

You can solve this by using the !important declaration. More info in the Custom CSS & Fonts guide.
hyphenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #48
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... You can solve this by using the !important declaration.
Thanks. I gave !important a try. I could not get it to work when font-size was used with % or em. It did work with px, but then the font-size wasn't adjustable within the app.

Using p {font-size: 200%} on the other hand works to increase the font size AND font-size is adjustable within the app. But it only works if the ebook uses <p> for paragraphs. Also, it doesn't seem to work if I try it with h1 or h2.

Bottom-line: trying to control font-size with custom css isn't as easy or consistent as one would hope.

P.S. I think you have a great start here and look forward to the next version.

Last edited by odamizu; 11-23-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #49
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Thanks. I gave !important a try. I could not get it to work when font-size was used with % or em. It did work with px, but then the font-size wasn't adjustable within the app.

Using p {font-size: 200%} on the other hand works to increase the font size AND font-size is adjustable within the app. But it only works if the ebook uses <p> for paragraphs. Also, it doesn't seem to work if I try it with h1 or h2.

Bottom-line: trying to control font-size with custom css isn't as easy or consistent as one would hope.

P.S. I think you have a great start here and look forward to the next version.
Welcome to the wonderful world of CSS specificity and inheritance! Although you can get this to work the CSS way, I think you may just be better off waiting for the increased font size max in the next version...
Old 11-23-2015, 03:00 AM   #50
desito
desito began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone SE & IPad 2
I purchased yesterday Hyphen. It's good stuff. In my opinion the app have all the desirables options for a excellent epub reader except TTS suport (I like to read in the public tranport with my earpods... accapela it´s the best option for this IMHO, TTS of course).

Great Work.

And, in the other hand I notice an issue... when I try to turn off the hypenation and the justification (I like to read in left aling without both optinos) the book continues justified. I don´t know how...

Thanks.

Last edited by desito; 11-23-2015 at 03:02 AM. Reason: I´m spanish and my english is not enough good, when I read the message I wrote I try to clearify it
desito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #51
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by desito View Post
I purchased yesterday Hyphen. It's good stuff. In my opinion the app have all the desirables options for a excellent epub reader except TTS suport (I like to read in the public tranport with my earpods... accapela it´s the best option for this IMHO, TTS of course).
There is a 'Speak Text' option available when you select text and tap More. It's not intended for long audible reading sessions, but you may want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desito View Post
And, in the other hand I notice an issue... when I try to turn off the hypenation and the justification (I like to read in left aling without both optinos) the book continues justified. I don´t know how...
This may be because of the ePub's existing styling. Try Publisher Styling > Disable Publisher Styling under book settings. You can also fine tune it to just remove Text Alignment.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #52
desito
desito began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone SE & IPad 2
Quote:
This may be because of the ePub's existing styling. Try Publisher Styling > Disable Publisher Styling under book settings. You can also fine tune it to just remove Text Alignment.
Eureka, it's true if I disable Text Alignment works fine!!!

Thanks

desito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #53
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've decided to buy it, as a way of supporting developers. I liked the way it all works (disabling publisher styling is the first thing I do in any new reader!) and when we have author subfolders/pages I'll be over the moon. For an example of how it might be done, check out Shubook. I would have said check Stanza, but you can't anymore, unless you already had it and have stored its .ipa carefully somewhere as I did
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #54
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I've decided to buy it, as a way of supporting developers. I liked the way it all works (disabling publisher styling is the first thing I do in any new reader!) and when we have author subfolders/pages I'll be over the moon. For an example of how it might be done, check out Shubook. I would have said check Stanza, but you can't anymore, unless you already had it and have stored its .ipa carefully somewhere as I did
Awesome, I'll check out Shubook again (I briefly did when you mentioned it before.)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #55
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Just downloaded the free version. At first glance hyphenation seems to work correctly in French, yay! I'll wait until two-column display is supported to test further though, because reading without it is uncomfortable for me.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #56
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of CSS specificity and inheritance! Although you can get this to work the CSS way, I think you may just be better off waiting for the increased font size max in the next version...
Thanks, I'm actually familiar with the wonderful world of CSS specificity and inheritance, but it's hard to write a custom stylesheet when I don't know what CSS Hyphen uses in the background

In any case, thanks for increasing the font size in the next version and also adding page-turn options on your issue-tracker. Do you think the page-turn options will make it into the next version? If so, I may purchase Hyphen now to support your efforts as I like everything else Hyphen has to offer.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #57
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks, I'm actually familiar with the wonderful world of CSS specificity and inheritance, but it's hard to write a custom stylesheet when I don't know what CSS Hyphen uses in the background
Ah, I see. It's a dark world, that one. Anyway, Hyphen sets font-related properties on the body selector. That's why your relative, %/em lengths wouldn't work, because they overrode the font-size Hyphen was setting... It's dirty, but you could also try:
Code:
*:not(body, html){ font-size: 200% !important; }
I may drop a template for the CSS Hyphen uses into the repo for the curious

Quote:
In any case, thanks for increasing the font size in the next version and also adding page-turn options on your issue-tracker. Do you think the page-turn options will make it into the next version? If so, I may purchase Hyphen now to support your efforts as I like everything else Hyphen has to offer.
Yes - at minimum you will be able to disable animations in general (the popups, etc.). You will also be able to disable the sliding animation when tapping on the left and right sides.

Last edited by hyphenreader; 11-24-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #58
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
... increased font size max in the next version...
Quote:
... at minimum you will be able to disable animations in general (the popups, etc.). You will also be able to disable the sliding animation when tapping on the left and right sides.
Sounds great! I have purchased the full version of Hyphen and am looking forward to the next update!

Thanks also for the CSS info. It is a dark world indeed
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #59
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

iPad users: have any of you experienced rotation bugs? If so, how and where?
Old 12-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #60
Alby B
Alby B began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone, ipad, Surface pro
I registered to this Forum to thank you @hyphenreader.

Your software has a huge potential for an average reader. I am not a developer. But am an avid reader. When I switched to iOS, I did not realize that I will miss Moon+ reader the most from my daily life. I have tried many softwares in iOS and yours is by far the best (compared against Marvin, Kybook, Total reader, Reader+ etc). I especially admire the way you have gone ahead incorporating so many changes.

What I needed was customizable screen, proper animations and keep a track of my reading history in iOS.

Your soft has accomplished almost everything.

If I may, with Page animations, extended platform (Windows & android) and device (ipad and mac) support, and robust history logging this software can turn for the best.

You have already incorporated options to categorize files (I keep all my files with me. More than accessibility its an Old habit, I had a habit of hoarding various editions of book), which is helpful as my library is quite huge.

I see that your next versions are going to be even better. I am going to purchase full version. hopefully I'll see this version in windows soon.
Alby B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, epub, hyphen, ibooks, ios