Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #46
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post

Finally, I would like to know what they mean with "refurbished". Doesw someone have an idea? Until now I have been used to get a completely new device during the warranty time.
Refurbished

Generally a device has been returned to the company due to a fault with it. The fault has then been fixed and tested to be in good working order. It is then used to replace a device (in this case a Kobo) that has itself been turned in to be fixed.

Last edited by Danger; 07-22-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #47
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Where is the change log for new firmwares ? Can't find it anywhere.
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by byblo View Post
Where is the change log for new firmwares ?
There is no log. Unfortunately, with recent releases we're not being told what has changed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #49
hyperpiper45
hyperpiper45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Argh! Why is this update taking so long to roll out?! I have been waiting for the inclusion of chapter information for so long.
hyperpiper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #50
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is all that is needed. Was the file still there when you reconnected to the PC?
That was the surprise: It had simply vanished. I suspicioned some incompatibility of the tgz-file, but I couldn't have a look into it, because with my means I can only see a lot of ASCII-symbols.

I only remember slightly, but wasn't it the case that, working correctly, the tgz-file would automatically establish the kobo.ini-file? In each case, there was also no .ini-file.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #51
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Refurbished

Generally a device has been returned to the company due to a fault with it. The fault has then been fixed and tested to be in good working order. It is then used to replace a device (in this case a Kobo) that has itself been turned in to be fixed.

And the former customer received a completely new device, probably. So they didn't return the repaired device to him. To me, it's the first time to suffer from that procedure.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #52
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
As long as it has been properly service and recertified, a refurbished device should be perfectly fine. You should not see any difference between a new and a refurbished model.

Of course this isn't always the case, but for the most part it does work out.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #53
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
You should not see any difference between a new and a refurbished model.
Except that it will have someone else's eye-tracks all over it...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #54
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Except that it will have someone else's eye-tracks all over it...
Those might bear some virus .... who knows!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #55
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperpiper45 View Post
Argh! Why is this update taking so long to roll out?! I have been waiting for the inclusion of chapter information for so long.
What does the new firmware do with chapter information?

I'm surprised no-one's captured & posted the firmware yet! Some keen mobilereader usually has it up quicker than this. For which we are very appreciative...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #56
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bug pageometer

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullBookPageNumbers=true
Above setting changes the page numbering of kepubs from total number of pages per chapter to total number of pages per book.

This works as expected but has an unwanted side effect on the pageometer of regular (Adobe) epubs. When this parameter is enabled only the current page number is shown. The total number of pages per book has disapeared.
This kepub setting should not affect the pageometer of reguar epubs.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullBookPageNumbers=false
This restores it to normal (as it was before).

Last edited by Anak; 07-23-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #57
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullBookPageNumbers=true
Above setting changes the page numbering of kepubs from total number of pages per chapter to total number of pages per book.
Yay! Didn't know about that trick. Works a treat on my 2.6.1b Aura.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
That was the surprise: It had simply vanished. I suspicioned some incompatibility of the tgz-file, but I couldn't have a look into it, because with my means I can only see a lot of ASCII-symbols.

I only remember slightly, but wasn't it the case that, working correctly, the tgz-file would automatically establish the kobo.ini-file? In each case, there was also no .ini-file.
The only thing I can think of is that the file was corrupt and didn't unpack properly. It is a compressed file. You can check it by trying to unpack it with 7Zip or equivalent.

I'm not sure what ini file you are talking about. The file gets unpacked into a partition on the device that you can't access. There are configuration files and a database, but they should be there already.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #59
hyperpiper45
hyperpiper45 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What does the new firmware do with chapter information?

I'm surprised no-one's captured & posted the firmware yet! Some keen mobilereader usually has it up quicker than this. For which we are very appreciative...
I'm referring to this picture.

hyperpiper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #60
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Quote:
Originally Posted by justywusty View Post
I just synced my Glo over wifi and 2.8.1 just installed. Wasn't expecting new software!
Weird, I am not getting any updates myself here.
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote