Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 04:27 AM   #1
Pal11473
Pal11473 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Anyone encountering battery calibration issue?

Hi all!

Just bought a Max 2 and is having a great time reading on it - till I discover that for some reason the battery percentages is acting odd,

1. After charging to 100%, it slowly trickle, until when it reaches around 80% where the device would shutdown and behave as if it is drained completely.

2. The battery would recharge itself even when not connected to a power source - that is it would trickle to 98 and charge back again to 100; I observe this happening at other levels as well and all the time.

This is currently my biggest gibe with an otherwise excellent device.

Writing to see if there is anyone seeing the same issue. I would try doing recalibration of battery via the traditional Android draining process, and would report back on the result.

In the meantime, are there any suggestion on the likely causes and solutions regarding this issue?

Thanks!
Pal11473
A New Comer to the Forum
Pal11473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal11473 View Post
the battery percentages is acting odd
Very common on Android, to my experience.
Are you using a 2+Amp wall charger? That behaviour I bet is more common with computer ports.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I've never experienced anything similar on any Android i've ever used. And i've been using Android devices on and off since the original G1.

Quote:
Are you using a 2+Amp wall charger? That behaviour I bet is more common with computer ports.
How would that change the fact his battery is seemingly "charging" back up to 100% with no charger connected? Also, and FWIW, my Note has been charging normally via a computer USB port so far.

OP, if recalibration doesn't help, i'd strongly recommend returning it and asking for a replacement, i don't think that's normal behaviour.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Pal11473

Quote:
Yes, I have been using the wall charger supplied, but the problem show up repeatedly
Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
Pal11473

I did two recalibration (i.e. draining battery and then recharging back to 100) but the problem persists

I now suspect this to be a hardware issue, and would try to contact the seller for a replacement; but assuming that they would not replace it - I need to solve this issue, do you think rooting the Max 2 void the warranty? I think that recalibrating via clearing the batterystats.bin file is the only solution I can think of at the moment.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #6
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
I don't have a problem with my battery and did nothing to calibrate it. At any percentage the drain is the same, so maybe is a faulty battery
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 AM   #7
DenisR
Connoisseur
DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Hello,
I had a calibration problem but only after receipt of the Max2. The battery was at 80% when i was reading. I put the system in standby, then the system powered off at some moment and I had to plug the wall charger when I wanted to use it. At reboot the battery was at 5%.
After a full charge I never had any other battery problem.
I never power off the Max2, I put it in standby (or automatically after 1 hour) and I can use it for more than a week (reading books or music scores and annotating, playing some music with earphones).

I suppose your battery has a serious problem and you should ask for a replacement unit.

Denis
DenisR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, boox max 2