Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #61
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Open to Interpretation and Lost in Translation feel like they have a lot of overlap to me. I like them both but they should probably have a decent amount of separation if we use them both.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #62
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Open to Interpretation and Lost in Translation feel like they have a lot of overlap to me. I like them both but they should probably have a decent amount of separation if we use them both.

I am fine to make mine more specific in that it should be a matter of translation of some kind of language. IE country to country or earth civilization to an alien one.

Interpretation does not say the same thing to me at all that translation does, though.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #63
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Just a thought, is all.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #64
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am fine to make mine more specific in that it should be a matter of translation of some kind of language. IE country to country or earth civilization to an alien one.

Interpretation does not say the same thing to me at all that translation does, though.
In the normal course of reading I would agree that interpretation and translation say different things, but in the context of a theme that people are allowed to stretch and play with, I think Dazrin is right: the two are likely to lead to similar nominations.

We've seen this sort of thing in action already with "It's All Relative, time-ly books" vs "Doomed to Repeat It, History". It wasn't a huge surprise to see books in the first that would have fit well in the second and vice-versa.

But I don't think either needs to be changed, as Dazrin suggested, I think we just be mindful of the possible similarities and use them a few months apart. ... And if that's not convenient we just live with it - the time/history themes didn't seem to slow us down too much.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #65
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Keep in mind that Open to Interpretation is not my nomination; I used mine up already. I was just speculating on the concept and whether it would be a good theme.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 07-01-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #66
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Just a thought, is all.
No, I appreciate it. It made me clarify the subject in MY mind. I read a bunch of translated fiction, so I knew what I was thinking, but it was nice to have another's perspective.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:38 AM   #67
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have been struggling to come up with a short description to cover the possibilities of Naturally Gifted. How about From wildlife to world-beaters?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #68
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Looks good to me.

Long range, perhaps by the end of this month the list will settle and we can discuss particulars in order to have the slate in place by mid-August.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bumping this, so we can get it into final shape by mid-August, so people can be thinking about it before nominations start September 1.

Does anyone have suggestions for tweaking the various themes, or for fleshing them out where the theme/tag is incomplete?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #70
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Proposed themes:
  • astrangerhere: Lost in Translation
  • Bookpossum: From Wildlife to World-beaters: Naturally Gifted
  • Catlady: Murder, They Wrote: Deadly
  • CRussel: You're Never Too Young: Children
  • Dazrin: The Way I Heard It: Retellings
  • Dngrsone: Just Plain Fun:
  • fantasyfan: Into the Labyrinth
  • gmw: Out of This World!: Otherwhence
  • issybird: My Favorite Book You've Never Heard of: Undiscovered Gems
  • poohbear_NC: I'm NOT Dead Yet!: Return
Well, I think mine sounds clunky, so will have a rethink. I don’t think they each need a one or two word clarification. I really like the mystery of the Labyrinth theme as it stands, for example.

Do we want to choose the six we like the best, rather than committing ourselves to all ten, or however many we finish up with? We might feel like a change of pace, or a different way of doing things by next March. We don’t want to take the fun out of it by insisting on using up every last theme before we move to something else!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Do we want to choose the six we like the best, rather than committing ourselves to all ten, or however many we finish up with? We might feel like a change of pace, or a different way of doing things by next March. We don’t want to take the fun out of it by insisting on using up every last theme before we move to something else!
My gut reaction is that I don't want anyone disenfranchised, so I'd rather go a little longer than eliminate someone and the themes all sound good to me anyway. However, in the interest of a shorter time horizon I'd be willing to trim the two green nominations which would get it down to eight, and perhaps that would be a reasonable compromise?

I'll add, though, that anyone who hasn't suggested a theme is still welcome to propose one and we'll sort it out. We're still in the discussion phase.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:01 PM   #72
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Well, I'm happy to pull mine out as I don't have any bright ideas at the moment. That would take it down to seven, and leave space for anyone else who might want to suggest one.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Well, I'm happy to pull mine out as I don't have any bright ideas at the moment. That would take it down to seven, and leave space for anyone else who might want to suggest one.
Hey! We can't have everyone drop out! I figured it was fair enough to pull my own as I get chances to influence things at the margin, so to speak.

Let's leave the list as it is right now, subject to tweaks and other input from the members.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:18 PM   #74
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think the orphans right now are Trade Secrets, Courtly Behavior, Open to Interpretation, and (although I said it in jest) I Feel a Breeze (issybird had some good suggestions.)

If Bookworm_Girl still wants to nominate retellings and doesn't have a second choice, I would change to (rolls dice) Trade Secrets to get another one on the list. If not, I still really like retellings so want to make sure it sticks around.

@Bookpossum, I think your's works better when switched. Naturally Gifted: From Wildlife to World-Beaters. Or maybe change the tag a little to "from wildlife to prodigies"?

And I think Dngrsone's needs an exclamation point at the end but doesn't need a tag. If we really want a tag, it could be "having a blast!" which opens up other ideas and still fits the "Just plain fun!" part.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #75
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I can't speak for everyone, but I suggested a theme just to add to the options, so to speak. I'm not going to feel disenfranchised by not having it used.

Now if people don't start voting for my book nominations that's another story! (Just joking.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote