Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #91
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911jason View Post
Has anyone had success changing the justification to left with this file? I tried, but didn't see any change. (Yes, I was on the Home screen and yes, I restarted after editing the file.)

Love the size 16 margins though! =)
Yes, you can add a Justification option to the Text menu by editing the prefs file. 'It works for me', so if it is not working for you go back and make sure you're making the edit properly (including using a text editor that can save with unix line endings). On Windows that means you need to get a 3rd party text editor such as Notepad++. Windows Notepad won't do this, so if you added the new line with that, that is probably why it didn't work.

Whether it does anything depends on how the book is coded. If they hard-code the paragraph styles as 'full' or 'left' then it does not have any effect.

While I have this hack enabled, I generally never use it since I use the smallest text size, and together with the margin hack, full justification usually looks pretty good most of the time. If only Kindle would allow line breaks after hyphens and m-dashes...

Last edited by tomsem; 03-30-2011 at 07:52 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #92
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Edit: Never mind. Please delete this post.

Last edited by lunixer; 04-01-2011 at 09:57 PM.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #93
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Does anyone know if this can be done on the Kindle4?
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #94
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
For Kindle 4 (NT) it works in exactly the same way as on Kindle 3.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #95
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
For Kindle 4 (NT) it works in exactly the same way as on Kindle 3.
Great, thanks for that
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #96
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I've been using the calibre Kindle collections plugin for a while now on my K4nt (also tried it on my K3 and DXG) and it works great for me. I just use it to set margins (I like 25 best), justifications (left/full), and fonts.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #97
manojknaikade
manojknaikade began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4.1.1
Is it possible to change just the left / right margin
manojknaikade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #98
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
1) Go to Home on your Kindle (it is important that you have all your books closed)
2) Attach the Kindle to your pc, find the file \system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pre f and change the margins as you please.
3) Unplug the Kindle, go to settings and make a restart (do not open any book before the restart).

Now you should have the margin width you chose; changing font size, font typeface and line spacing doesn't reset the margins value. On the other hand if you change "words per line" it does reset the margin to the default value (40pixels).
Given the dates on this thread, I'm guessing this trick only works on older Kindles, but since I am a Kindle newbie trying to figure out my Kindle Voyage, I thought I'd ask:

Is there a way to reduce left/right margins on the Kindle Voyage?

I've opened up the system folder, but there are no files that resemble the pref file that others have been able to tinker with.

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 02-17-2015 at 12:50 PM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Given the dates on this thread, I'm guessing this trick only works on older Kindles, but since I am a Kindle newbie trying to figure out my Kindle Voyage, I thought I'd ask:

Is there a way to reduce left/right margins on the Kindle Voyage?

I've opened up the system folder, but there are no files that resemble the pref file that others have been able to tinker with. I've also set Calibre margins to zero, but that hasn't helped.

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!
If you want to do away with the margins, you'll need to go with a different Reader as Amazon forces the margins on you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #100
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
*koff* *koff*.

Although, granted, on a Voyage, you're currently (and possibly for quite a while) SOL.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
*koff* *koff*.

Although, granted, on a Voyage, you're currently (and possibly for quite a while) SOL.
And from what I've been reading, even if it is possible, it might only be possible with a hardware hack (i.e. opening up the Voyage and doing stuff to the innards).

What I don't get is why Amazon thinks it's a good idea to have such rigid settings for line height and margins when so many people ask for flexibility. The only flexability Amazon gives is in the wrong direction (bigger to the point of silly and then ridiculous).

If Amazon allowed reasonable settings, I would possibly have considered a Kindle once Amazon came out with KF8.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-21-2014 at 08:29 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #102
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Ultimate solution for side margins control (based on conversion ePub->kf8).
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #103
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
Ultimate solution for side margins control (based on conversion ePub->kf8).
Genius! Karma for you! THANKS!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 11-24-2014 at 02:39 AM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #104
kindlecracked
kindlecracked began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (2011) K4, K4S
Any way to adjust the bottom "margin" (for lack of a better word)? Have a cracked screen, would like to hack the Kindle (5-way controllers- is that 3rd gen?) to only display on the screen above the damaged area..
kindlecracked is offline   Reply With Quote