Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I can't believe I'm about to say this but in fairness to GEreader, I presume that image was from FCC website, so really it's fair game to be used without credit. Of course, I have no doubt they likely wrote their story based on reading about it at The Digital Reader.
I looked up the FCC document and saw that the red highlight was already there. For some reason I thought that it was highlighted by Nate. My mistake.

As far as the article ... pretty sure that was just ripped off.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I can't believe I'm about to say this but in fairness to GEreader, I presume that image was from FCC website, so really it's fair game to be used without credit. Of course, I have no doubt they likely wrote their story based on reading about it at The Digital Reader.
My image was a screenshot that I took, and (checks the image's name) that is my screenshot they're using.

Also, I added a tag to the FCC link before I published, and it's still there in the link they used.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
That's odd, I thought they were out of the Nook business and were going to focus on other things.
It's really difficult to know what a company is going to do when that company itself seems to have no idea what it's doing.

However, I do hope this is a good sign. I really want B&N to succeed even if I don't plan to be their customer. Amazon needs at least a little bit of competition.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #19
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My image was a screenshot that I took, and (checks the image's name) that is my screenshot they're using.

Also, I added a tag to the FCC link before I published, and it's still there in the link they used.
Wow, just wow. One would seriously have thought on something that simple they could at least do something on their own. But no, they live fully up to their reputation of lazy content theft .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Or TTS.
I doubt it. They’ve never done that even for their tablet apps.

Now if it had an AM/FM radio in there...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #21
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
This will be interesting. Though I highly doubt it’s going to make me switch from my Kobo Forma.

Maybe they’ll manage to get both hardware and software to be good this time. And won’t limit the space available for sideloaded books. And won’t have bezels fat enough to serve dinner on.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Maybe they’ll manage to get both hardware and software to be good this time. And won’t limit the space available for sideloaded books.
We can all dream.

Quote:
And won’t have bezels fat enough to serve dinner on.
I've noticed the knocks against the bezels on the Glowlight 3 tend to come from people who don't own one. The Glowlight 3's bezels work out just fine when you actually spend time reading on it. There's room for the buttons and yet you can still comfortably hold the thing comfortably.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #23
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Sounds like a tablet. I can't see Nook producing an ereader that rivals an Onyx for functionality.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #24
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've noticed the knocks against the bezels on the Glowlight 3 tend to come from people who don't own one. The Glowlight 3's bezels work out just fine when you actually spend time reading on it. There's room for the buttons and yet you can still comfortably hold the thing comfortably.
I live walking distance from a BN and had plenty of time to test out the glowlight 3. Well until they basically dismantled the nook desk. I’m pretty sure that either bezel is as wide or wider than the button bezel for my Forma. I’ll grant having bezels on both sides is one way to solve the right/left handed holding issue but they’re still wider than they should be considering the Formas bezel houses the majority of the guts of the ereader
Old 04-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
...they’re still wider than they should be considering the Formas bezel houses the majority of the guts of the ereader
To each their own, I guess. I like how small my Aura and Clara are. I do appreciate a compact reader.

But I've noticed I hold them differently than I do my Glowlight 3 or Glowlight Plus (which also has wider bezels than my Kobos). If I held the Kobos the same way, I'd inadvertently turn pages as my thumb is too big for the Kobo bezels.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #26
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think it's important to distinguish between our judgements about a device and our experience with a device. If I'd gone into a B&N store to look at the Glowlight 3 I'd never have bought one. It's big and clumsy looking and would need a big pocket to fit it in. And page turn buttons really never interested me.

I bought mine sight unseen and I'm glad I did. I have the original Kobo Aura but the Glowlight 3 is a far nicer device for reading. I have Paperwhites, both new model and old and, all in all I think they're a better device but for simply reading the Glowlight 3 is better.

It's big and ugly and nobody with any sense would want one. It's also great for reading. I don't think anything else can quite touch it. For everything else other than the simple act of reading, it's a terrible device. Weird how these things work out, huh!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I doubt it. They’ve never done that even for their tablet apps.

Now if it had an AM/FM radio in there...
There's a first time for everything.

What remains? MP3 payback? Audiobooks?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
NGL3 body and screen are awesome. Software, not so much...
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #29
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There's a first time for everything.

What remains? MP3 payback? Audiobooks?
The original nook had mp3 playback it was scrapped for the second eink nook probably because of a few factors like battery life, actual use, expense of the headphone port, form factor, etc.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
NGL3 body and screen are awesome. Software, not so much...
Amen. That's my opinion of Nook in general.