Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
jfinli
jfinli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Question about lrx vs epub format

I am new to the ereader world (and loving it!!!) but I want to try to make sure to buy my books in a format that can cross over devices, in case I don't always have a Sony. I'm wondering, should I avoid buying the .lrx ones from the Sony store and try to stay with epub formats? Do you think that epub is going to wind up being a standard? I don't want to invest money in a format that could wind up being obsolete.

Thanks for your advice.
jfinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Yes & yes, in short.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
LRX is Sony-specific and it is not currently possible to circumvent its DRM (encryption). This means that you can't move LRX ebooks to any future devices, except those from Sony.

The ePub format is an industry standard, and it is becoming very popular in Europe. The "standard" part is a bit misleading for DRMed ePubs, because these are all from Adobe at present. So this means that they only work on devices that support Adobe Digital Editions. However, several other EInk devices will follow Sony in including this very soon (there is a version of the Cybook Gen3 with ADE already). For DRM-free ebooks, I think it is fair to say that ePubs are the future standard and they won't become obsolete. The good new is that you are not locked into Adobe DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote