Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
That is why I take my Kindle. Nine days at the beach = 10-12 books. Why carry 10-12 books when I can carry my Kindle? I have a Trendy Digital waterproof case that works great and I put the password on so that if anyone where to walk off with Tavi they cannot get into him.
You can password protect the Kindle? Why have I not figured this out?! How?
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #32
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I take my ereader into the bath all the time. I just use a ziplock bag in case I accidentally drop it.
That's what Jeff Bezos does! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/ma...6fob-q4-t.html
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
You can password protect the Kindle? Why have I not figured this out?! How?
As of the 2.5 update, you should have something in settings:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375510

Quote:
To set your Kindle password:
Navigate to Kindle's Home screen and press the Menu button.
Select "Settings" from the Home screen menu.
Select the "turn on" option next to Device Password on the Settings page.
Enter your new password twice and also enter a hint to help you remember the password.
Select "Submit" when you're finished.
If you wish to change or turn off your password in the future, navigate to the Settings menu again and select the available options.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #34
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, just shows how many times I've been into the settings, will set this before my holiday so will hopefully protect my details.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #35
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have a problem taking my reader to the beach. Then again, I'm selective about the beaches I go to, and am rarely worried about theft or damage (and I know how to keep it dry).

When I don't want to take my reader somewhere, I load the books onto my smartphone and take that.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #36
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I'll take it with me but I won't take it out on the beach at all. I love just jumping in the water and floating for quite a while, it would be stolen. What I usually do is just read when we're hanging out in our rooms soaking up the A/C.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #37
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I have had laptops, mobile phones and DVD players out in the sun before and left in the car which can get very hot in the sun and it's all been fine.
On or off ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
We were chilling on the beach, when this normal-looking woman about our age walked up, set her bag under our canopy, and asked us to watch her bag.
I would have just said : "What the [language edit] is wrong with you ?" and thrown it to the side...
Though I guess depending on her looks I might have said : "Sure baby, but what do I get in return ?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
When I don't want to take my reader somewhere, I load the books onto my smartphone and take that.
But the average smartphone is more expensive than the average e-reader. Plus you got a ton of personal data you don't want to lose.

Last edited by dreams; 11-14-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: [language edit] by moderation
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
But the average smartphone is more expensive than the average e-reader.
But smaller, and so easier to hide.

Quote:
Plus you got a ton of personal data you don't want to lose.
Everybody say it with me: Backups!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #39
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I went to the library for a couple of books for beach reading... and left the Kindle in the condo. My new fancy schmancy phone didn't get to visit the sand either. (Call me overly cautious, but hey, better safe than having to replace!)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 AM   #40
Tome Keeper
Addict

Quote:
On or off ?.
Phones and DVD player both on and off, and laptop off.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #41
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I took my Nook Color to the beach for the first time last week, in its normal cover and in my messenger bag, and will probably do it again tomorrow. This beach is never really packed on weekdays, and I bike there, so I just lock the bag fairly securely to the bike, which I stand up right on the sand by my beach-blanket, making my 'turf' easy to keep an eye on from the water. I usually just go in the water once or twice anyway, and then lay out in the sun for a while, so I wait until I'm done in the water and a bit dry to pull out the NC.

I suppose I wouldn't do it if I didn't have somewhere fairly secure (i.e. too much bother to dig into or carry off) to stash it while I'm in the water. There's always a big ziploc in the messenger bag (which is itself waterproof, up to a point) in case of weather, but otherwise I don't worry about the elements. My NC is closer to my kitchen sink right now than it would ever get to the waterline at the beach.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My K3 just returned from a week long trip to the river. It was fun reading while floating.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #43
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Took one on the kayak a few weeks ago. Kept it in a ziploc bag while using it and in the dry bag with our food and clothes when paddling down the river. It's still alive.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #44
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I've discovered that I can password protect my Sony, at least I think it's a PIN rather than password. I was browsing through the instruction manual last night. I'm not sure whether I would bother for normal use, but maybe if I were in a high theft area.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #45
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I started PIN-locking my NC on a family trip last month when there were lots of younglings about, and decided it was pretty good policy. Granted, besides a B&N account, the NC has access to my Google app market account, Amazon app market account, Kindle account, email, several websites... nearly as much as my PC, and I've already left the thing in another state once :P
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote