Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #31
msmith65
Enthusiast
msmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
NOTE: I accidentally posted this on an unrelated thread yesterday. Apologies.

After studying this thread, I've come up with a macro that extracts the headings from my toc.ncx file, and repackages them as links with my heading text as the linked text.

Then I paste that list of links in my main text file, as a linked Table of Contents.

Will this pass muster with Amazon, ya think?
msmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith65 View Post
NOTE: I accidentally posted this on an unrelated thread yesterday. Apologies.

After studying this thread, I've come up with a macro that extracts the headings from my toc.ncx file, and repackages them as links with my heading text as the linked text.

Then I paste that list of links in my main text file, as a linked Table of Contents.

You do realize that the Sigil 6 beta, 5.902, has this functionality built in It builds a (simple) TOC page from the NCX contents.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
If all of the TOC links are working and you didn't forget to add a TOC guide item (Add Semantics > Table of Contents) to the .opf file you shouldn't have any problems with Amazon as long as your book passes epubcheck and you use KindleGen to compile it.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #34
Leverpullr
Leverpullr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/generic android tablet
@Tulpana

If you are preparing your book in Word, I strongly recommend to any non-html user or html newbie that is confused about how to create an inline TOC to get the free Kindle book by Mark Coker of Smashwords, http://www.amazon.com/Smashwords-Sty.../dp/B004XWJ7UK .

Specifically, use the tutorial in "STEP 20b" to create an inline linked TOC in MSWORD before importing to Sigil; it is both easy to understand and essentially bulletproof.
Leverpullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
msmith65
Enthusiast
msmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If all of the TOC links are working and you didn't forget to add a TOC guide item (Add Semantics > Table of Contents) to the .opf file you shouldn't have any problems with Amazon as long as your book passes epubcheck and you use KindleGen to compile it.
In the manifest section, I see this:
Code:
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
and below the manifest section, there's:

Code:
<spine toc="ncx">
P.S. Currently the file passes epubcheck!

My client wants the TOC to appear in pieces within the document. It's a recipe book, so she doesn't want the 80 recipes taking up so much space at the top of the document. Can I toggle off the "usual" TOC that way, so that my custom links (described above) will be the only TOC-like feature that would appear in the book?

Last edited by msmith65; 08-20-2012 at 05:26 PM.
msmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
In the manifest section, I see this:
Code:
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
and below the manifest section, there's:

Code:
<spine toc="ncx">
My client wants the TOC to appear in pieces within the document. It's a recipe book, so she doesn't want the 80 recipes taking up so much space at the top of the document. Can I toggle off the "usual" TOC that way, so that my custom links (described above) will be the only TOC-like feature in the book?
Are you making an ePub or Mobipocket eBook? How the ToC works depends on what format this will eventually be.

In an ePub eBook, the ToC is the NCX file and is outside of the eBook with a link to display it. An NCX ToC supports levels so you can have like desserts and then under that, all the dessert recipes.

With a Mobipocket eBook, the ToC is a page or pages of links inside the eBook. No levels. So you will be needing at least three screen's worth of ToC entries for a cookbook with 80 recipes.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote