Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
OMG, Manimal was hilarious. I don't think I remember Automan. (Musta put my feet up on that one....)

Hitch
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #137
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you really want camp,try Manimal and Automan.
Incidentally, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Manimal and Automan were all created by Glen A Larson.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2021, 12:09 AM   #138
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think I remember Automan.
Automan asks the timeless question: What if Magnum P.I. had a child with Tron? It starred Lucy and Ricky's kid.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:48 AM   #139
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Incidentally, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Manimal and Automan were all created by Glen A Larson.
Of course they were! That dude was the KING of camp.

Quote:
Automan asks the timeless question: What if Magnum P.I. had a child with Tron? It starred Lucy and Ricky's kid.
I literally couldn't bring myself to turn on the new Magnum. I mean...if I start saying what I think, I'll get in trouble, but I can't express my disinterest in seeing a post-PC, neutered Magnum in some crappy car. (sigh).

I have seen the new Hawaii 5-0 and to be fair, although formulaic, with the usual sort of police-procedural tripe, Odin knows, I've seen a LOT worse in the last 20 years. {shrug}. Didn't stay to watch it, admittedly, as a regular viewer, but...I've seen worse.

Gee, what next? Barnaby Jones with a 30-something protag? Perhaps Barnabee Jones, the original Barnaby's granddaughter? LOL...poor Quinn Martin Productions!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:28 AM   #140
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have stopped watching live action TV. I found Game of Thrones ill adapted before the wheels of the show actually came off. I was among the first people in my country anywhere to discover Breaking Bad and instantly knowing that it would be a well liked show. But these days are gone.

These days, I watch a few anime. Anime is the only medium/genre that still can attract me to sit still without involving a good book. There is an anime about a world where real people exists only in silhouette, shadowy, and sooty figures. These 'people' make dolls that seem normally human, to do their bidding for them. That's a story that is not found in live action projects from the UK, and the US. Forget about South Korea too.

There is another anime that I follow where a dragon that can speak, is still growing, and doesn't fly and cannot breathe fire getting exiled by its family. The entire premise of this show is to follow the dragon on his adventures to find a decent home in a world where a lot of people want to kill it, for a few mundane reasons.

These 2 examples above are very original premises that will never get adapted or remade. I like it this way.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2021, 05:05 AM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Let's remake The Streets of San Francisco. It'll be a show about pots holes.

Another remake will be Jake and the Fatman now called Jake and the Morbidly Obeseman.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-03-2021 at 05:07 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 AM   #142
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Name-calling is a clear violation of the guidelines. Knock it off.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #143
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

I literally couldn't bring myself to turn on the new Magnum. I mean...if I start saying what I think, I'll get in trouble, but I can't express my disinterest in seeing a post-PC, neutered Magnum in some crappy car. (sigh).

I have seen the new Hawaii 5-0 and to be fair, although formulaic, with the usual sort of police-procedural tripe, Odin knows, I've seen a LOT worse in the last 20 years. {shrug}. Didn't stay to watch it, admittedly, as a regular viewer, but...I've seen worse.

Gee, what next? Barnaby Jones with a 30-something protag? Perhaps Barnabee Jones, the original Barnaby's granddaughter? LOL...poor Quinn Martin Productions!

Hitch
Next year we are going to see a new Night Court with Mellissa Rauch as Harry's Grandaughter. John Laroquette is going to reprise his role as Dan.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #144
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The remake is more dark and the characters less likable. The remake just doesn't work. . . . It's dark, unlikable characters, and boring as heck.
That doesn't sound like mere nostalgia to me. It sounds like a preference for a certain tone and characterization.

I haven't watched more than a few episodes of either series, but it is extremely rare for me to watch a show that *isn't* dark. And I consider unlikable characters to be such a refreshing departure from the idea that likeable = good that I'm pleased whenever I see unlikeable characters used well. Monsieur Hire was an early example of that for me.

But if you, Mr. Wolf, are saying that the characters are *unintentionally* unlikeable -- that they're self-impressed, arrogant or patronizing in ways the writer didn't intend -- then that is a different matter.

Either way, ZodWallop, personal preference isn't necessarily nostalgia -- even if it goes against the pronouncements of mainstream critics.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-03-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #145
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Hitch
My issue with remakes is that they rarely are able to capture whatever it was that made the original a success. They really are different shows with the same basic premise and happen to have the same name. If you expect the same experience, then you are likely to be disappointed. Sequels frequently have the same issue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #146
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My issue with remakes is that they rarely are able to capture whatever it was that made the original a success. They really are different shows with the same basic premise and happen to have the same name. If you expect the same experience, then you are likely to be disappointed. Sequels frequently have the same issue.
Yes, I agree. The Perry Mason reboot or remake or whatever the hell Hollyweird is calling it--you know, the show itself is fine. But calling it Perry Mason is, IMHO, absurd. It's like they had an idea for a show and tried to figure out how to sell it, so they suddenly seized on the idea "hey, I know, we'll call it a Perry Mason prequel! That'll sell!"

I can watch it and even enjoy it--as long as I have a constant drumbeat in the back of my head saying "no, this isn't Perry Mason." And no, for me, it's not even having seen every episode of Raymond Burr as Perry, etc. (although that wreaks havoc with it, too); it's having read the novels.

You can't really reconcile that Perry--the Perry of the books--with this Perry, this rather contemptible wreck.

I fail to see how the new Magnum could recapture that perfect zeitgeist magic that the original had. I mean, hell, let's remake Miami Vice, too. LOL. Maybe we can soundtrack it with manufactured boy bands!

Hitch
Old 05-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #147
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I mean, hell, let's remake Miami Vice, too. LOL. Maybe we can soundtrack it with manufactured boy bands!
Hmmmm Miami Vice with a KPop soundtrack... The mind boggles...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #148
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmmm Miami Vice with a KPop soundtrack... The mind boggles...
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Although, I see the attraction of KPop for younger folks.)

I'm also sitting here envisioning a remake with a 65-y.o.-plus Crockett and Tubbs, trying to hoist their arthritic, chubby asses out of a hot car...dyin' here...

Hitch
Old 05-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #149
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I mean, hell, let's remake Miami Vice, too. LOL. Maybe we can soundtrack it with manufactured boy bands!
Uh, they did remake Miami Vice:

It was done by Michael Mann, who created the original show. I love Michael Mann as a director and both leads are very talented. But I wasn't crazy about the movie and partly I think it's because the episode it was based on (Smuggler's Blues) also isn't one of my favorites.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #150
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Uh, they did remake Miami Vice:

I would disagree that it is a remake since I do not count movies based on a TV series as remakes. A money grab, perhaps...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote