Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
Calibre update 5.10 rejected by Fsecure (anti virus)

Fsecure detects a Trojan virus in the calibre.exe of the 5.10 upgrade. I had to reinstall the 5.90 version which is okay. Should I wait until the next upgrade or is there something I can do. I haven't discovered a way - yet - to tell Fsecure that it is okay.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...a-virus-trojan
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
Fsecure detects a Trojan virus in the calibre.exe of the 5.10 upgrade. I had to reinstall the 5.90 version which is okay. Should I wait until the next upgrade or is there something I can do. I haven't discovered a way - yet - to tell Fsecure that it is okay.
The solution is very simple. Delete Fsecure because it's garbage. Any AV that thinks Calibre is a threat is garbage. Just use Windows Security as it works well and does not think Calibre is a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
soulwolf
soulwolf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Love Calibre, however last 2 updates, 5.9 and 5.10, 64-bit version, initial fail to install, and back out. 2d attempt to install appears to complete, but when program loads. it still shows version as 5.7.1 (which does not even show up on "what's New page), and shows that 5.9 update is available. Any suggestions??
soulwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
soulwolf
soulwolf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Follow up to failure to install. I deleted both 64-bit and 32-bit versions, and then re-installed version 5.10, easily. It appears that icon was defaulting to 32-bit version, and not loading 64-bit version. Do not need 32-bit version, even though manual/d/l instructions say they can be installed side-by-side. On my system, 64-bit would not run while 32-bit version was first installed, or possibly, even if 32-bit installed at all. Upgraded perfectly now. Hope this helps anyone else that may run into same problem.
soulwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I haven't discovered a way - yet - to tell Fsecure that it is okay.
A Google search on "F-Secure excluding file" came up with Exclude files or folders from scanning.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A Google search on "F-Secure excluding file" came up with Exclude files or folders from scanning.
But you don't want Calibre excluded in case it does somehow become infected. You want an AV that doesn't false positive Calibre.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you're worried about the files on the Calibre server being tampered, you can check them against their signatures.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you're worried about the files on the Calibre server being tampered, you can check them against their signatures.
Why bother when a decent AV can check for you? Fsecure is not it.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Have a look at the following thread to see that FSecure is not the only garbage AV out there and that you really need to dump your AV when you find it doesn't work and get one that does.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336777
Old 01-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
HAApps
HApps
HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HAApps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I had the same problem today downloading the 5.10 update from the original Calibre site and AVIRA reads the files as suspicious ans a threat. I;ve never had that problem before. What to do?
HAApps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAApps View Post
I had the same problem today downloading the 5.10 update from the original Calibre site and AVIRA reads the files as suspicious ans a threat. I;ve never had that problem before. What to do?
Uninstall Avira.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAApps View Post
In the thread I linked, there are others running Avira and one of them Avira has blocked access to the install directory so Calibre cannot be installed. Avira is lousy and really should be uninstalled. I agre with @Sirtel.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Uninstall Avira.
Would you mind reading this thread and putting in two cents? Thanks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336777
Old 01-29-2021, 06:37 AM   #15
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
Fsecure probably upgraded their engine, no problem anymore with the 1.5.11 Calibre upgrade.
Fsecure suits me fine by the way. It does the job. To put Fsecure away as 'garbage' is a bit over the top, I think. But hey, everyone his own taste.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote