Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #61
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Reports of vector jaggies is now being reported on Remarkable 2, most predominately on horizontal lines.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #62
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Reports of vector jaggies is now being reported on Remarkable 2, most predominately on horizontal lines.
I watched the rant on “My Deep Guide.” The things that people choose to lose their shit over never ceases to amaze me. It’s a sketching tool, not a CAD workstation.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I watched the rant on “My Deep Guide.” The things that people choose to lose their shit over never ceases to amaze me. It’s a sketching tool, not a CAD workstation.
I woudn't call his reporting a 'rant'. He was very calm in detailing the issue. I found it very informative. This is something, in my opinion, that the Remarkable team will need to address, just as it was addressed in "My Deep Guide".

Here's a link to the video, for anyone else who would like to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OCtOCsRNkA

The issue is also under discussion among a number of Facebook Remarkable users.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-25-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #64
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
It is apparently not even a Remarkable 1, an earlier product from the same company. Since it is a step backwards, it certainly should be addressed.

Quote:
I woudn't call his reporting a 'rant'. He was very calm in detailing the issue. I found it very informative. This is something, in my opinion, that the Remarkable team will need to address, just as it was addressed in "My Deep Guide".
I think it is the opposite of a rant, but more importantly, it is a well organized and presented thorough analysis of the problem.

Quote:
Here's a link to the video, for anyone else who would like to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OCtOCsRNkA

The issue is also under discussion among a number of Facebook Remarkable users.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #65
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
got my ReMarkable 2 this morning. two things.
1. encrypted pdfs cannot even be loaded.
2. the epub reader is HORRIBLE. i tried changing to another of the available fonts on the device and the unit went into a boot-loop. thankfully, it stopped after 3 reboots. then it attempted to load the epub file (showing the animated busy dot dot dot indicator). at this point, i did not allow it to go any further. i just stopped it from loading and closed the epub file and immediately removed it from the device.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So it's Electronic Paper to print to in your own office, like the big Sony. Print your own Letter or A4 PDF to it and pass it around for the annotations.

The Sony Digital Papers (now gone?) only did PDFs and most only with a Host Application, no mass storage mode i/o copy or epubs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #67
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
got my ReMarkable 2 this morning. two things.
1. encrypted pdfs cannot even be loaded.
That's ReMarkable.
Quote:
2. the epub reader is HORRIBLE.
That's ReMarkable too.
Quote:
i tried changing to another of the available fonts on the device and the unit went into a boot-loop. thankfully, it stopped after 3 reboots. then it attempted to load the epub file (showing the animated busy dot dot dot indicator). at this point, i did not allow it to go any further. i just stopped it from loading and closed the epub file and immediately removed it from the device.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #68
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Mine arrived yesterday, although as I’m now normally back in the office, I’ve only had a short time playing with it as yet. My view is that as a Digital pad of paper, it’s good. The Stylus works well for taking notes and after a Kindle, it’s relatively quick! While the price is significant, I can see this doing well for students as well as people wanting to take notes in meetings or similar.

As an PDF reader it’s decent enough but it depends how much the missing parts, such as hyperlinks, matter to you. As a ePub reader, for me it was passable for just reading but I doubt I’ll be using that as I’ll do leisure reading on my kindle.
The screen is back to the standard eInk of the Sony days to look at, which is a step back after a Voyage, but should be fine in decent light or daylight.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #69
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i just found out that the stylus for the sony dpt-s1 works with the remarkable. the only thing is that there is no built-in eraser function. i tried pressing the button on the sony stylus while writing and it does nothing but write. so it's equivalent to the remarkable "marker" and not the "marker plus". and there is a little bit of metal in the sony stylus (on the clip), but not enough to attach to the tablet securely.

Last edited by rem736; 11-09-2020 at 08:01 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #70
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Does the stylus off a Wacom Bamboo or similar work either?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #71
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Does the stylus off a Wacom Bamboo or similar work either?
No. Those ones only work with the graphic tablets that Wacom make. Other Wacom EMR pens work though. You can use the Samsung S Pen, Staedtler Norris Digtial, Lamy Al-Star EMR, Surface Pro 1 & 2 pens (though not later ones), etc. Generally if it works with Samsung Galaxy Notes it's compatible although not all features will work necessarily.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:21 PM   #72
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
... As a ePub reader, for me it was passable for just reading but I doubt I’ll be using that as I’ll do leisure reading on my kindle...
If it matters, I saw an announcement of a hack today, allowing KOReader to be installed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RemarkableT...er_on_the_rm2/
Old 11-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #73
MrDrDr
MrDrDr can extract oil from cheeseMrDrDr can extract oil from cheeseMrDrDr can extract oil from cheeseMrDrDr can extract oil from cheeseMrDrDr can extract oil from cheeseMrDrDr can extract oil from cheeseMrDrDr can extract oil from cheeseMrDrDr can extract oil from cheese

Device: remarkable2
Just got a Remarkable 2 device - found Calibre when trying to work out how to move my books from my kindle (which I finally managed to do) and this forum - hello!
The remarkable 2 appears to take the EPUB format and covert it to a PDF for viewing - via the remarkable desktop app. It then syncs with the 'cloud' to download it to the device.
It's more of a PDF reader than an ebook reader - but the screen is a good size - and I like the fact I can annotate my book, like I would a paper book. The writing experience is very good. A previous post asked about highlighting - it will let you annotate with a normal pen and also a highlighter pen, which shades the background. All highlighting and annotation are free form - it does not appear to be able to select and highlight specific words. There also isn't a dictionary look up for specific words which is something I liked on the kindle.
Keen to understand other peoples experiences - particularly with Calibre and hacked versions of the software.
MrDrDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #74
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I just received my ReMarkable 2. So far, I haven't played with eBooks or .pdf content. All that I've done so far is written some notes and the like to test the quality of the writing experience (which is the main that for which I chose to purchase it). And I have to say, so far my impression is excellent. It really does feel like writing on paper (or at least as close as I presume one can get). There is no lag time and the writing appears very crisp (both at the thin and medium stroke weights). And the sync system also works quite nicely.

I plan to experiment further with eBooks and annotating .pdf files in the next few weeks.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #75
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrDr View Post
The remarkable 2 appears to take the EPUB format and covert it to a PDF for viewing - via the remarkable desktop app. It then syncs with the 'cloud' to download it to the device.
This is absolutely not the case. I just got mine today, and it's quite obvious. The user can change the font, font size, line spacing, and margin width, and the document will re-flow to accommodate those changes.

It's pretty darned SLOW at re-flowing (which is a legit complaint), but it's definitely NOT generating PDFs.